Rising Stars: Natural Selection 2

Anything else
Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Rising Stars: Natural Selection 2

Post by Wilbefast » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:24 am

Just bumped into the project while surfing the E-waves: a team of 4 is working on this but it looks absolutely amazing! The gameplay is similar to Tremulous and Savage 2. Also it's going to be released for Windows, Linux, MacOSX and XBox360 :D

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/

It's funny because they're referring people to the Wolfire blog to explain what Normal Mapping is :wink:
Still, I think this is another good example of how a small motivated team can achieve wonders: I've always wanted to start up and indie gaming company myself with a few friends (after Uni) and groups like this show that it's possible :)

Thoughts?

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:52 am

Oh look, more space marines. How thrilling.

Okay, okay, it actually looks pretty darn good. I shall be keeping an eye on them.

But please tell me that the game industry is going to get over mongrel f**king space marines sometime this century.

Jimmy Jazz

Re: Rising Stars: Natural Selection 2

Post by Jimmy Jazz » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:33 am

I've played the first one. amazing but really hard to get into. and I've known about this for much of the past 2 years. i pray it gets the attention it deserves and will be much better then the first. Although i wouldn't be surprised if the old hats to the original mod would stick to the first for a while until the new guys got a little better at the game. either way I'm glad its starting to get some more attention and hope you guys get the game. Cheers! :wink:

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Re:

Post by Wilbefast » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:19 am

Zhukov wrote:Oh look, more space marines. How thrilling.

Okay, okay, it actually looks pretty darn good. I shall be keeping an eye on them.

But please tell me that the game industry is going to get over mongrel f**king space marines sometime this century.
Lol - Couldn't agree more :wink:

Still, it's another win in the 5-man-indie-game-companies-ftw column :D

Google search for "Gloom" and "Tremulous" = pretty much exactly the same game (especially for Tremulous). The game mechanics are also very similar to "Savage" - the important thing to remember though is that NS1 pre-dated all these games/mods except Gloom, which didn't do the whole "Commander View" thing: it came out in 2000 which makes it the first of this wave of FPS/RTS hybrids.

What with Avatar coming out the "Aliens 2" setting is likely to last a little bit longer though :P

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:13 pm

We hang out with the Unknown Worlds guys from time to time. :) They are awesome and everyone should preorder their game.

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Jeff wrote:We hang out with the Unknown Worlds guys from time to time. :) They are awesome and everyone should preorder their game.
So when they said "our friends over at Wolfire" they actually meant it :o Maybe you guys should set up some sort of cross-marketing thing with them :)

There's something that occured to me looking at this "NS2 should be on Linux" thread: Linux gamers may not have much market share (5% for Lugaru is still peanuts) but boy are they passionate, and passion is something that shouldn't be underestimated when it comes to indie marketing :wink:

We've got your back Jeff :P

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Looks good, and it's coming out for the 360! That's awesome for an indie game! :o

John

Post by John » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:16 pm

What Jeff said. The Unknown Worlds guys are awesome.

Healey

Post by Healey » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:24 pm

I think I played their first game, a Half-Life mod from what I remember, a while back. It was great. New one is lookin' good.