Need Mac testers for Lugaru!

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Jeff
Evil Twin

Need Mac testers for Lugaru!

Post by Jeff » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:16 pm

Ryan Gordon just converted Lugaru into a universal binary for x86, x86-64, and PPC! It would be awesome if we could get some Mac users to test it out and let us know if there are any problems.

http://cdn.wolfire.com/games/lugaru-ub.zip

Sandurz

Re: Need Mac testers for Lugaru!

Post by Sandurz » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:18 pm

:D Yaaaaayyyyyyy!!!!!!!

Healey

Post by Healey » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Right-o!

undeadbydawn

Post by undeadbydawn » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:26 pm

Played most of the through with no problems. Seems more responsive, but without the HD pack it's hard to tell whether there's a real improvement. Can only assume there is. It certainly works, which is the main thing.

Healey

Post by Healey » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:05 pm

Well, just downloaded and opened it up, and it fixed the resolution problem where a 1024x768 resolution took up my whole 1440x900 screen, so thats good, but...

mai licsense key isn't working!

In the meantime, I played the demo challenge levels and found I heard footsteps having so origin whatsoever, and when I walked or rabbit-ran, I would hear my footsteps normally and then an echo of my steps a half-second later.

Also- Went and opened up good ol' config.txt, changed the resolution to 1440x900, but there were no results in game, the resolution stayed the same.

And yeah what he said down there V, the sound effects are much quieter than the ambience.

But yeah, so much faster/smooth gameplay.

And I'm on a PPC iMac G5. 7 edits ftw.
Last edited by Healey on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:27 pm

So here's my reaction:

Installed and ran on a G5 Dual 2.5ghz 8gb ram running OS 10.4.11 and on a Macbook 2.4 ghz core 2 duo with 4 gb ram running OS 10.5.8

On both computers there was an incredible boost in speed. Everything was more responsive, leading to a better game play experience. The AI responded faster, so it was more difficult to sneak up on enemies, but I was also able to score much higher combos. Fantastic improvements!

As for the bad:
My old registration number doesn't work... but Jeff knows why and is fixing that...
Cmd-q doesn't quit the game, like it did in previous versions
The sound mix is weird. Combat sound effects are nearly inaudible. I smashed a guy into the wall, and couldn't really hear the sound effect.
And about three times, something stopped all the music from playing until I moved on to the next level. I can't reproduce it yet though.

Will keep testing, and will try some mods later...

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:34 pm

there's an application support folder now that has a config and a user file, but both of those still exist in the application package (they appear to be legacy).

the game will only play in the default resolution (1024*768), anything else makes it either look funky/unusable or the app crashes on startup. let me know if you want a crash log.

Mac Pro 8-core 2.8GHz

Ein

Post by Ein » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Running a Macbook with Leopard 10.5.8, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram. Works fine; however, I lost my registration number and don't want to bother looking for it right now.
As ariehl said, the sound is odd. I haven't played Lugaru in quite some time, but the hit sound when I make contact with an enemy now "pings". Also, there are some physics issues (objects and rabbits bouncing into the air if hit to the ground hard), but I think those were in the old version too.

Overall fantastic. Runs smoother than ever.

Madd the Sane

Post by Madd the Sane » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:04 am

Yeah, the sound is not right. Although I did get it registered. I think I used my Linux key. The fact that the resolution can't be set manually using the config.txt file is kinda annoying: I want to have a widescreen resolution like 1440x900 :(

Fun Fact: unless you are using 10.6, you will only be using the i386 version of the library. :mrgreen:

gefken

Post by gefken » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:32 am

Wonderful that this has been made. So, onto the details.

iMac
2.4 Ghz intel core 2 duo
2 gigs ram

Worked mostly right. As others have reported, the serial key didn't quite work for me. One odd thing I noticed, my ability to animal run was sort of on again off again. As in, sometimes I could, sometimes I could not. Mostly came up on the "Kill the sentries" level.

Also, this may or may not be a bug. After running the levels up to where it asks you to register, and being unable to do so, the progress I had made was erased. *shrug*

icculus

Post by icculus » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:35 am

Fun Fact: unless you are using 10.6, you will only be using the i386 version of the library.
Yeah, 64-bit before 10.6 is just a dicey proposition, so I figured we should limit it to Snow Leopard. Supporting x86_64 at all was just to make sure we don't have to update Lugaru again for another few decades. :)

I'm sorting through the rest of the issues. Please keep the bug reports coming!

--ryan.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:44 am

Starres at the signature above... :shock: :D

tkaza

Post by tkaza » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:43 am

In 3 months my primary dev pc will be a intel based mac running mac and windows, so ill do my darnest to break shit :P

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:42 pm

Yeah a 10.4 PPC mac here... heh. :? This machine hardly works for anything anymore.

"Machine Name: iMac
Machine Model: PowerMac4,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 800 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 640 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.3.4f2"

very slight speed increase, but with severe frame rate drop on slow motion kills. Sound effects very low and distorted by frame drop for slo-mo. Also sound of "voices"-- squeaks for dialogue -- very low and inconsistent volume. My key doesn't work, so I haven't tried to build anything with it yet, or generate dialogue.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:29 pm

This is my wet dream. Every level loads in 2 seconds, the menu comes up in 3.
Everything runs smoother, even on Full high detail, decals, blood and blur on. Except for a few things.
1. When blur effects is turned ON, and you reach the peak of a jump, you go into slow motion for a second. It's very annoying when you're trying to avoid an enemy.
2. Occasionally strike sound effects won't play. I notice this mostly with the double punch.

This is only after playing the first 3 challenge levels. I get back later.

Mac: MacBook
Model: MacBook5,1
Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GHz Processor Speed
# of processors: 1
2 GB memory
Boot ROM version: MB51.0073.B06
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
L2: 3 MB