Help me with my computer!!

Anything else
hdlsa
fruit salad

Help me with my computer!!

Post by hdlsa » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:03 pm

A few days ago, I was running MSI's live update program, which searches the web for the latest version of driver. I never manually start it, it just does random searches, and its more work to quit it than to just leave it alone (I have a feeling that live update messed everythign up)

Anyways, I came back to my computer after running live update, and my internet wasn't working. To connect to the internet, I am using the on-board ethernet port on my MSI K8N Neo Platinum mobo. I searched around, and found that many people were having this problem. The problem is supposedly the result of mixing Windows XP SP2, MSI and Nvidia Nforce drivers. The way some people fixed it was by wiping their hard disc, and installing their drivers in a certain order. 1) Windows SP2 2) MSI Drivers 3) Everything else. I called MSI, and they said that by updating my BIOS, it might fix the problem, which I doubt, but I'm trying to give it a shot anyways. This is the email they sent me:

Here is the link to download the latest BIOS for your motherboard:
http://download.msi.com.tw/support/bos_ ... 030v17.zip

To update the BIOS:

1) Create a MS-DOS Startup disk (If you are running XP, go
to "my computer" -> right click your floppy -> format and check the
"Create MS-DOS startup disk" and hit start).
2) Extract the files into the same disk.
3) Boot your computer from the floppy
4) When you are at the A prompt, type "AWFL833C
W7030NMS.170" and press enter to flash the BIOS.
5) Restart your system when the flash is finished and go into
BIOS setup.
6) Load Fail Safe and then Optimized Defaults.

Thank you for contacting MSI Technical Support Team USA!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont have a floppy disk drive, and with the file they linked me, was a text document about flashing your BIOS, which I dont understand. I emailed MSI back, saying that I didnt have a floppy disk drive, and Im waiting on a response.

My computer specs:

K8N Neo Platinum
Nvidia Geforce 6600?
1 gig ram
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Windows XP SP1(2?)

Any help would be appreciated!!
PS. I am posting from a diffrent computer.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:03 am

Most motherboards have a utility that allows you to flash the bios directly from Windows. If not, if you have a CD-R, simply burn the disk image to the CD instead of a floppy.