Active Ragdoll vs. Euphoria

Anything else
Coincidence

Active Ragdoll vs. Euphoria

Post by Coincidence » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:10 am

I spent a great deal of time the other day throwing Turner off the Pillars and down mountains and hills and dunes in the active ragdoll mode because I, rather sadistically, found it hilarious and entertaining to watch him tumble and bounce down tall surfaces. Don't worry, he's fine.
While I was doing this I thought back to previous games I have played such as Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3, specifically to the Euphoria Physics Engine that was used in a similar way to the active ragdoll system in Overgrowth. I couldn't help but wonder if this active ragdoll system was in any way similar to the technology that NaturalMotion uses.

Does anyone know if the active ragdoll system in Overgrowth is similarly designed like the system in Euphoria?

P.S. I do realize that Euphoria encompasses more than just how characters behave in a physics engine.

MrOtton

Re: Active Ragdoll vs. Euphoria

Post by MrOtton » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:55 am

Coincidence wrote:I spent a great deal of time the other day throwing Turner off the Pillars and down mountains and hills and dunes in the active ragdoll mode because I, rather sadistically, found it hilarious and entertaining to watch him tumble and bounce down tall surfaces. Don't worry, he's fine.
Haha :-D I also like doing that...
Here's the blogpost about this topic
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/11/why-we- ... -euphoria/

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:33 pm

I actually dislike Euphoria quite a bit. Sure it's based on real nerve and bone reactions, but to me, it looks less realistic than they claim and just plain ragdolls actually look better. For some reason, Euphoria just doesn't seem to carry across the force of blows very well, and I think overgrowth does it alot better.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Euphoria, lulz.
I feel the same way. It softens the blows too much and doesn't do nearly as much as they advertised it for.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Yeah, that tech demo I saw looked really cool, but in GTA IV it was basically just badly made active ragdolls, with one cool thing where they were able to stand up and stumble around while physically enabled. SWTFU added grabbing ledges as the were falling, but they had sticky magnet hands so it was dumb. Truthfully, if David really tried, which he won't because it would be basically useless in OG, he could make the ragdolls stand up and stumble around like with euphoria.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Yeah, the demo was awesome and then it just sucks everywhere it is used.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:50 am

I think from a cosmetic point of view, euphoria looked pretty good in Max Payne 3, however it was irritating to have dead enemies still standing and stumbling around for a few seconds when I was trying to shoot the enemies behind them.

Which does everyone think looks better: Active Ragdoll in Overgrowth or Euphoria in Max Payne 3?

I'm off the opinion that Max Payne 3's euphoria physics probably wouldn't look as good without the excessive gore, but Overgrowth's active ragdoll system looks good on it's own. I'd say I like the active ragoll better.

P.S. Has anyone tried using that throat cut comma key to send a character falling of the side of the pillars in slow motion? Because it looks really cool.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:53 am

Yeah, I'm a fan of the OG ragdolls.
And yeah, it is pretty awesome. There was a good music video someone did using that. I'll dig it up here.

EDIT: Took a bit of doing, but here it is. One of my favorite OG music videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMypUonRg-c

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Oh hell yeah! Thats my FAVORITE Smiths track!

it's about homosexual seduction!

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm okay with this.

Themap

Post by Themap » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Quite sincerely , i would choose Overgrowth's Active ragdoll system over Euphoria ( at the current exploitation state of it anyway ) any day

In one of David's alpha video where the parameters were first shown, i remember him increasing the base speed of Turner and just entering active ragdoll mode whilst running
I think it looks even better that when you jump out of a car in GTA IV, and that means a whole lot

The tech demo was pretty good though.

EDIT: Speaking of tech demo's , as anyone seen the destruction demo Nvidia brought to GDC 12 ??
That just effing raped my mind!!!