randomness

Anything else
Ragdollmaster

Re: randomness

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:36 pm

Phoenix has a hateboner for anything related to This War of Mine, I guess, since he seems to enjoy bringing it up for no reason to call it pretentious or entitled. Not sure why. I'd hazard a guess that it's mostly due to a combination of emotional immaturity, ongoing mental development, and a desire to seem edgy (see: his loveboner for Hatred) There's not much to discuss there.

On to something worth talking about, I've been trying out Far Cry 4 and I am pleasantly surprised. I was more or less expecting a reskinned, glorified DLC of Far Cry 3- which in all honesty I might have been fine with because I enjoyed FC3- but it's been quite the journey so far. The guns feel weightier somehow, in FC3 I really only had a sense of power when using the high-caliber sniper rifles or the shotguns, but in 4, even the handguns feel like they pack quite a punch. There's also been a few additions as far as weapons and weapon types go: I'm a fan of the throwing knives.

Some core mechanics like hunting and crafting have been tweaked- for instance, when you hunt now, using only arrows and knives results in a "clean kill" which gives you twice the crafting material from your kill, using regular guns only provides a single crafting material, and using explosives results in "damaged" material which can't be crafted and which can only be sold. Instead of being able to carry around 4 weapons of any size, you now have a dedicated sidearm slot in your holster, and this sidearm is able to be used while driving vehicles.

The stealth got a few neat touch-ups, too, as you can now move bodies (in FC3 this was only possible if you had the Takedown Drag ability and did a melee takedown, then dragged the body back), and there are some special enemies who, not to spoil anything, use some stealth of their own- if they spot you, there's no detection meter that will tell you about it, and they can do a ton of damage if you don't notice them.

The antagonist is a pretty cool guy. He channels some Vaas but isn't totally insane, yet he's not as bland and boring as Hoyt- a superbly written character overall. The protagonist, Ajay, is in my opinion more likeable than Jason Brody, and his transition into mass murder is a little better supported / more smoothly done than Jason going from "OH MY GOD THAT GUY IS DEAD" to "LOL JUST BLEW UP A TRUCK WITH THIS GRENADE LAUNCHER" in about a day.

Some of the new animals available to hunt and fight with are pretty neat, too. There are predatory eagles which will swoop down and swipe prey from the ground, and sometimes even attack humans. Rhinos and elephants are very scary and durable creatures- I went for a clean kill on a rhino and it took 3 throwing knives and 13 arrows, barely survived that encounter. There are also honey badgers, which are functionally immortal and which send enemy guards running in fear. I'm not even joking, these guys will unload on a charging rhinoceros, but if they see a honey badger, they start screaming "SHIT! BADGER! RUN!"

Speaking of deadly animals, you now also gather Bait from fresh kills, which you can use to lure predators, either for a kill or to fight enemies for you.

The graphics are stellar. Textures, faces, animations, lighting, all really, really nice. I have a GTX 970 and an i7-4790k and I was still dipping in framerate a little on the very highest setting- here's just a few minutes of goofing off.

Direct link, use Chrome to have 1080p/60FPS available.

The bit at the end was actually my first encounter with a rhino, before I had any idea that they were going to be absurdly hard to kill. I figured, hey, 30 shots to the head should do the trick, yeah? Nope.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:40 am

The last Far Cry I played was 2, really loved how the UI was all super-immersive. But they've done a good job with the series.

I've heard This War of Mine is pretty good and it's refreshing to see a game about war and death where you aren't a tacticool, unrealistically over-hyped soldier.

Unrelated to the two, I'm on a massive Rammstein kick right now.
Fucking glorious.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:05 am

I still think tge following is one of the coolest examples of the bard/nagical musician stereotypes I've ever seen.

I wonder what sort of a game could be made about a bard manipulating events throygh dance-offs and musical numbers?

Re: This War Of Mine - it's weird how my opinion on things Phoenix likes is the opposite of his, and vice versa. The more interesting one of us finds something, the less the other likes it. Except Jack Thompson.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:39 am

aww yiss
bollywood
let me sing you
the song of my people

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:59 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Phoenix has a hateboner for anything related to This War of Mine, I guess, since he seems to enjoy bringing it up for no reason to call it pretentious or entitled. Not sure why. I'd hazard a guess that it's mostly due to a combination of emotional immaturity, ongoing mental development, and a desire to seem edgy (see: his loveboner for Hatred) There's not much to discuss there.
To quote myself:

"Great criticism deflection. 10/10 Better than Anita."

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:07 pm

It would probably have helped if you had mentioned how the This War of Mine community is entitled.

As it stands, all you did was talk shit about an entire group without explaining anything and then get pissy when people call you out for it.

And there was no criticism deflection anywhere before. We have all tried to have a debate with you, but you didn't ever consider anything anyone said by responding to every single sentence individually without ever saying anything other than your original point or: "No. You're wrong. I'm right."
It's kind of a waste of time to have a debate with you because you either are not interested in having one and just want to get out your own views, or you have no clue how to see things from someone else's point of view.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:12 pm

I fixed my PC! Yay!

I get to play games! Yay!

I'm looking for a nice game with a plot and a story, something light or uplifting or humorous through my list of games, something I could dive into for a few hours at a time on weekends, that I would be able to finish before Christmas... An RPG, or an action game preferably, but I'm not a big fan of shooters.

I don't seem to own such a game. :shock:

Tomb Raider, Dragon Age, Witcher games, Dark Souls and other games that don't have the tone I'm looking for.

Skyrim is going to take ages to get anywhere. There's more action-based games such as BioShocks, Assassin's Creeds and Gods of War and Diablos and such, but the ones that come to mind tend to either be dark, or light on the story, or both.

Something JRPG-ish would be good, I think, unless the game takes ages to finish. They aren't always good as games, though. I can find reviews of the mechanics and stuff easily enough, but I don't know where to look to find the TONE of the story, without diving into spoilers. So, if you have any recommendations, please recommend me something and tell me how positive or negative the game's outlook is. I'm fine with dark stories every once in a while (I read Worm, didn't I?), but that's not what I'm looking for right now.

It doesn't have to be Zelda, Pokemon, magical girl anime all the time, but more on the positive side than the negative nonetheless. XCom would be fine, for example - people banding together against a great threat and being ultimately both heroic and victorious.

Some games I'm considering:

JRPGs in general - I have never finished a Final Fantasy game, so there's probably something right there. Or one of the Tales of ??? games. Or... well, almost any JRPG, really.

Maybe Valkyria Chronicles, but it's a war game which suggests it might be on the cynical side of things. And it might take too long to actually finish. Alternatively: Fire Emblem, although it shares all the possible problemswith Valkyria Chronicles, so...

Divinity: Original Sin - no idea about the story, but I definitely want to play it at some point!

Some action-adventure game with a positive outlook, if one exists. Uncharted? Or Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, which seemed like an interesting take on that old story,but at a glance I'm unable to tell its outlook on things.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:33 pm

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Sort of an almost cartoonish action RPG. The main idea is that you are able to reweave your fate, something that one typically has no control over (in game this basically translates to being able to respec your skill tree and class bonuses)

The general world and NPC design is sort of reminiscent of an MMO. Open towns with crafting/enchanting services and quest-givers, guilds/factions to join, and respawning enemies in an open world.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Endoperez wrote:I fixed my PC! Yay!

I get to play games! Yay!

I'm looking for a nice game with a plot and a story, something light or uplifting or humorous through my list of games, something I could dive into for a few hours at a time on weekends, that I would be able to finish before Christmas...[...]
I immediately wanted to jump up and shout 'Shovel Knight!' at this point, 'cos I just finished it and adored every bit of it, but really I don't think the PC version is what you're after, since it's (in my opinion) quite perfectly scaled for a nice re-playable handheld game, which means it might be a bit too light for when you're sitting down at a PC with the intent to game.
On a side note, I really like how they did Shovel Knight's 3D on the 3DS.

I played Valkyria Chronicles once and found it quite enjoyable. It's quite light in tone with its anime style, but if you're even slightly averse to such lightness in a war game (which I'm not, but I'm aware that others are), then it will quickly digress into.. well.
Yahtzee put it best.
It becomes the ragtag best friend teens defending the hundred acre wood from mean old farmer hitler.
Good game though. I like the easy entry-level strategy thing they've got going. Difficulty curve is pretty okay too, I think. I never owned the game myself so I didn't get far enough to be sure about that.

Divinity I'm told is an excellent game. I'm a little skeptical about that claim, but I have let myself be convinced that it's at the very least a significantly different RPG experience than your average quest-fetcher. Something about consequences actually mattering? I'm not sure exactly what the key difference was. I intend to give it a try in the future myself.

If you don't mind playing something without story though, you might like to give Robocraft a try, which is a seemingly gimmicky but surprisingly fun free-to-play build-your-own-bot kind of thing.
It doesn't feel as much like a shooter as it looks. Though admittedly it isn't always equally fun. Bit of a gamble I suppose.

I certainly am interested to hear about your favourites, Endo. Let us know when you find something drooliciously good.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Glabbit wrote:I immediately wanted to jump up and shout 'Shovel Knight!' at this point, 'cos I just finished it and adored every bit of it, but really I don't think the PC version is what you're after, since it's (in my opinion) quite perfectly scaled for a nice re-playable handheld game, which means it might be a bit too light for when you're sitting down at a PC with the intent to game.
On a side note, I really like how they did Shovel Knight's 3D on the 3DS.
I'll probably go for something visually impressive if I find something suitable, since I've focused on the 2D/stylistic/indie/ NOT top-of-the-line stuff for a long time. Years, really. So yeah, while Shovel Knight seems interesting, I don't have a DS and I'm not interested in playing it on the PC right now.

Also, I've missed being easily able to divide quotes into parts. Posting with a phone is so much more work...
I played Valkyria Chronicles once and found it quite enjoyable.
"It becomes the ragtag best friend teens defending the hundred acre wood from mean old farmer hitler."
It sounds ridiculous and amazing at the same time. That's a plus in my book!
Divinity I'm told is an excellent game.
I understand they added lots of interesting choices to the combat. Oil can catch fire, which can explore certain enemies, who alternately could be frozen to prevent it, that sort of stuff. Combat tends to devolve into grinding in RPGs because the only thing that changes are numbers, and your optimal numbers don't change relative to the enemy numbers. I remember having to stop using really cool special moves because they didn't cut it, any more. :/
If you don't mind playing something without story though, you might like to give Robocraft a try
Not right now, sorry. Definitely looking for a story.
I certainly am interested to hear about your favourites, Endo. Let us know when you find something drooliciously good.
After I found League of Legends and played little else for a while. A few years, I mean. :mrgreen: Besides that I've been interested in the 90s games for a long time, so my favourites are mostly rather old in game terms.

If you liked Pixel Knight and haven't heard of Cave Story yet, that might be worth checking out. I found it a very charming pixel graphics Metroid-esque platformer.

Roguelikes are fantastic. ADOM has a huge learning curve and it's nearly incomprehensible without a fan-made guidebook, but I almost finished it again while my computer could only boot into Safe Mode. Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is the only free roguelike I know that has good low-level game design factored into its every part. Grinding has been nearly eliminated, and the auto-explore and fast move options let you jump from choice to choice, spending less time traveling and more time making intersting stuff happen.

I've also been heavy into fantasy TBS games. Dominions series, specifically. Ugly as early 90s, but an incredible amount of content. Like in rogulikes, simple graphics enabled the two developers to create an insane amount of content. King of Dragon Pass on the other hand is a cross between visual novel and a turn based fantasy clan management. I didn't like Warlock II (it had a great trailer though), but there seem to be a number of hex-based fantasy war games out ATM.

I'm just now starting to play Crusader Kings II which seems super interesting. You don't control a nation, you control a family. When your current family head dies, your family's holdings are divided among your children according to the local laws. If each becomes a Duke, the other two are not your vassals and the land your current character controls is a third of the father's.
Here's my first game, so far:
[+] Just Another Day in Crusader Kings II
I was a 18-year-old Duke of Toulouse, looking to marry so I could get an heir. I noticed a member of my court was an Heir to a nearby rich province (although it was only a weak claim), so I decided to marry her. Besides, her husband was Ambitious and Envious, which didn't seem good, especially since he was my warlord (marshal) AND the best warrior in my court. I started a Plot to have him killed.

As I tried to figure out the game, an obnoxious Duke started a plot to replace me with my marshal. In my first war, my landless Marshal soundly defeated the person trying to make him a Duke. Thanks to everyone liking me due to winning a war, I convinced most of my court to plot the marshal's death (his wife joined too! she's deceitful! wait, why am I doing this again?), and as soon as he had met an unfortunate accident, I married his widow. She wanted to have a daughter.
To celebrate, I went hunting, and somehow the viking king of Denmark captured and imprisoned me. Don't ask, I have no idea either. After rotting in the prison a while, my wife, a regent in my stead, had amassed enough money to ransom me. And soon we had a daughter. Yay!

At this time I noticed that my Prestige, my honor and respect among the nobles of the land, was over 400. I chose a new Goal for myself, to become an honorable and respected man by reaching a Piety of 500. Then I noticed it didn't track Prestige but Piety, my diligency to the Christian faith and respect among the clergy,which was at about 50... Oops?
Well, after a pilgrimage, many acts of charity, a letter to the Pope, and many a great stag that I let go in my mercy, AND 10-ish years and a son AND NO WAR OR TROUBLE OR REBELLION OR ANYTHING NOTABLE AT ALL I achieved my goal and was henceforth known as The Holy. And I threw a feast. And my vassal beheaded a servant. So I, The Holy, threw him in my dungeon, in my mercy. And gave my wife a horse, so she would love me.

Then my court chaplain, a most friendly fellow, became the Pope of the Christian Faith, and The King of France made me his Steward, to help in the matters of the state.
I still haven't quite figured out how I could start a war (maybe I can ask the pope to brand someone a heretic?), or help other people in the wars that seem to happen all around the peaceful Toulouse, or help my liege the King of France should he ask for my help... And I'm not sure what's going to happen once Me The First dies and my dear Toulouse is divided between my son and daughter... but as you can see, the game creates some veeeery interesting scenarios.
There's some games with nice world and style into them, like Beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts and Insecticide. An interesting world and premise with decent-to-well-written charactersm in a game which was good to fantastic. All three have a similar sort of feeling in them - a bit naive, a bit simple, but still good enough to be THE game that gets someone into gaming in a big way.

Speaking of that, for me the gateway drug was Grandia, an early 90s JRPG with a decent battle system and extremely impressive feeling of adventure and exploration. You cross the Ocean to the New World, go past the colonized coastline over the mountains into the unexplored misty forest, cross the End of The World and now you're halfway to Disc 1 of 2. Sure, I played games before and after, and they were fun, but it was the first game I remember where the gameplay meshed with the story to produce a reaction within the player in a big way. For example, The End of the World in that game is an enormous wall. Mountain range of a wall. Getting to the top takes like 3 save points, each set so far you run out of mana and resources and only barely make it there. And then the characters sit down to rest and talk about feeling the same thing...

Then there's classics you've probably heard about.
Planescape: Torment was an excellent story and had interesting dialogue choices, wrapped up in a decent game. Recettear was an interesting try at making a JRPG where you're the shopkeeper, not the adventurer. Team Fortress 2 is fun if you like hats, or was fun if you don't. Stanley Parable is a new kind of weird. XCOM is a fantastic remake that feels like your inner child imagined was happening in the old X-Com, while abandoning the chunky 90s design for a different, modern but still engaging combat. Portal games are quality puzzlers with very good voice acting. Dark Souls is the most fair game design I've played so far, while also being one of the hardest, giving an intense feeling of mastery and achievement. I found Master of Magic (fantasy Civ 1) and Alpha Centauri (scifi Civ 2 with well-written voice overs covering various philosophical stances) more interesting than the base Civilization games. Star Control 2 did Mass Effect in 1992 with the best of early 90s design (that is, Asteroids for combat, Adventure Game dialogue screens for talking with various aliens, and like a few hundred stars to explore).

Speedrunners and Hidden in Plain Sight are party games, and fantastic with a group of people as long as you've got enough controllers for everyone.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Endoperez wrote:I understand they added lots of interesting choices to the combat. Oil can catch fire, which can explore certain enemies, who alternately could be frozen to prevent it, that sort of stuff.
Ooh, more significant options? That does sound good. On paper, anyway. I imagine it's highly likely that in practice it's a bunch of optional tactical setpieces set around the world?
Combat tends to devolve into grinding[...]
Yeah. Ye Olde RPG Curse.
Cave Story
I adore that game.
I found it a very charming pixel graphics Metroid-esque platformer.
Ah, but how many of the optional paths did you find? My favourite part about the game (and any other game that acts similarly) is how playing it differently can unveil different parts of the story, and how the "optimal" run uncovers not just grand and impacting secrets, but several extra time units of playtime, too.
Roguelikes:
  • ADOM
  • Dungeon Crawl
I've yet to try any of the true roguelikes. Judging by my enjoyment of quasi-roguelikes I'm either going to love or loathe them. I'll add those titles to my little list.
[slightly overwhelming list of titles I've heard very little of]
[includes any in your post that I do not mention further]
Yeesh, maybe I should just add a link to this post to my little list instead. Some of these things sound interesting enough to be worth a look, certainly.
Psychonauts
Played it, loved it, 100%'d it. Was a lot easier to 100% than Cave Story was. (I did not ever manage to 100% Cave Story)
Planescape: Torment
I think I played that once. I couldn't get into it, as the weird interface was appalling.
Then again, I may well be thinking of something different with a similar title...
Team Fortress 2 is fun if you like hats, or was fun if you don't.
Hah, right, yes. The thing I like about TF2 is that it's so easy to get into when you don't really know what you want to play. On the whole I feel it's often a kinda mediocre experience though.
Stanley Parable is a new kind of weird.XCOM is a fantastic remake [...]
I still intend to play these at some point. I've heard good things. (Though I'm assuming you mean this XCOM)
Portal, Dark Souls
Undeniable instant classics. Especially those without a '2' on the end, I say.
Here, have a little dose of my Dark Souls adventures.
Master of Magic, Alpha Centauri
I've actually played those! Wow, that's a while back. As far as I remember I was too young and impatient to properly get what was going on though. Maybe I should do some digging in my archives for a nostalgia trip.
Party games [are] fantastic with a group of people as long as you've got enough controllers for everyone.
...I need more controllers.
Last edited by Glabbit on Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:08 pm

If you want story more than anything else, why not try a visual novel. I recently got into Katawa Shoujo.
You (Hisao Nakai) a senior student at a Japanese high school that specialises to deal with kids that have all sorts of physical disabilities. You have recently suffered a severe heart attack and have to essentially start a new life there. You get to know people and things develop. I really don't want to say much more, but it's more or less a love story with multiple different paths, depending on a few decisions you make over the course of the story.
Don't be put off by the concept. The writing is amazing and - in my opinion - deals extremely well with the context. Don't try to read too much about the story before you jump in. In my experience, the less you know about it the better. I think my first playthrough will remain one of my most memorable moments as a gamer (although visual novels really ride the line between game and literature). The music and (mostly static) artwork really help to draw you in. There is some mature content, but - again - I think it is handled in a very tasteful manner and is somewhat essential for the individual paths. If it really bothers you, it can be deactivated, though.
Did I mention that it is completely free?

Oh, and before I forget it, keep in mind that GOG.com is having a massive sale right now, with new deals every 40 minutes. I just picked up the entire Legacy of Kain saga (excluding Blood Omen 1, sadly) for 4,76€. That's a steal!
Granted, Legacy of Kain is not exactly uplifting, but there are so many games on sale right now.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Valkyria Chronicles:
It runs awesome on PC and you have some decent graphic options. Beyond that, the gameplay is amazing, although if you're used to other turn-based RPGs, like Final Fantasy Tactics, you're in for a bit of a whip-lash because the game punishes you for taking your time. I believe Glabbit described it best when it comes to the story. The character interactions are fun though and you'll find your nine favorite squad members and ignore all the rest of them. There's probably someone for everyone in the huge list of people you can use.

Tales of...games:
Tales of games are all about the combat and the character interactions. Their stories are all fairly easy to understand affairs, but they're generally well written and the more recent ones don't have the annoying "teen hero" as a lead. Each Tales of game has a different central theme, be it friendship, sacrifice, racism, or bravery. The games are on the shorter side for a JRPG, but expect to put 40+ hours into it. They're not boring by any chance, but they'll take you a bit of time. None of the Tales series are on PC, the more recent ones are on PS3 and they haven't taken the plunge to PS4 and probably won't until later next year. As a side note, they have some great J-rock/pop openings if you're into that kind of thing. Out of the ones I've played, I'd suggest:

Tales of the Abyss - PS2(Maybe on PSN)/3DS - Oh man, I love this one just because the main hero is such an complete and utter panty-waste. You will hate the little shit for most of the game. You will hate him for what he is and probably refuse to even use him as a character whenever possible. Talking about him makes me angry. However, there is tons of character development and its a decent game overall.

Tales of Vesperia - Xbox360 - This one was an "Xbox 360 Exclusive" then the developer released a PS3 version with all the cut content in Japan only. Still, the game we got in the West is actually one of my favorites. This is the first one I played where the main hero is not only world-wise, but he's actually an adult. The main character lives in the lower class section and takes it upon himself to find out who stole the magical maguffin that supplies the town's water. The entire game's theme revolves around "enforcing one's own justice".

Tales of Xillia/Xillia 2 - PS3 - Xillia is the first series that lets you choose between two characters. I can't really recommend this game based on its story, I honestly really don't remember much of it. They tried too hard to do political intrigue and have secret organizations. The character interactions are what keeps it going. If anything, Xillia 1 is there to set the stage and introduce you to the world for the second game. Honestly, I'd skip the first game and go right into the second game. However, the second game basically picks up right where the first game ends. I'd suggest reading a bit on the world of the first game and then just start Xillia 2. Mechanically, its the most refined of all the games and really has some great voice acting.

I think I've spent enough time filling a page with random crap.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Glabbit wrote:
Cave Story
I adore that game.
I found it a very charming pixel graphics Metroid-esque platformer.
Ah, but how many of the optional paths did you find? My favourite part about the game (and any other game that acts similarly) is how playing it differently can unveil different parts of the story, and how the "optimal" run uncovers not just grand and impacting secrets, but several extra time units of playtime, too.
I checked spoilers after my first playthrough (and by that I mean that I defeated a big boss, instead of flying away). I got to the first Hell boss once, I believe, but I wasn't doing much progress on that so I left it at that.

Roguelikes:
  • ADOM
  • Dungeon Crawl
I've yet to try any of the true roguelikes. Judging by my enjoyment of quasi-roguelikes I'm either going to love or loathe them. I'll add those titles to my little list.
Roguelikes at a low level are about learning the mechanics and the exceptions. Roguelikes at a high level are about player skill, balancing probabilities against needs, managing valuable and rare resources in a game where an unused resource is irredeemably lost at death so that everything is preferable to death. The high-level play is what makes them interesting. The low-level play takes varying amounts of work to get past.

ADOM is more oldschool in its design. There's one monster that can insta-kill you unless you have one specific resistance, found as an amulet. Killing any cats wil cause a unique invisible boss to spawn. You want to eat specific corpses, and avoid others, and only way to tell one from other is experimentation or spoilers.

Dungeon Crawl is an unbelievable improvement. The mechanics discourage grinding and encourage playing in fun ways. I haven't felt the need to check spoilers yet because I haven't felt cheated. Once you learn the mechanics, you're more or less good to go. Sure, unknown monsters still kill you, but that's acceptable.

ADOM is like a dear old grandma who spouts of racist things all the time. A child of her time, at the same time very dear to you and embarrassing to have around.
I still intend to play these at some point. I've heard good things. (Though I'm assuming you mean this XCOM)
The new XCOM remake from a few years back, compared to the original from the 1990s, yes.
EPR89 wrote:If you want story more than anything else, why not try a visual novel. I recently got into Katawa Shoujo.
Don't be put off by the concept. The writing is amazing and - in my opinion - deals extremely well with the context. Don't try to read too much about the story before you jump in. In my experience, the less you know about it the better. I think my first playthrough will remain one of my most memorable moments as a gamer (although visual novels really ride the line between game and literature). The music and (mostly static) artwork really help to draw you in. There is some mature content, but - again - I think it is handled in a very tasteful manner and is somewhat essential for the individual paths. If it really bothers you, it can be deactivated, though.
Did I mention that it is completely free?
That's such a fantastic, well-written game about a very touchy subject done incredibly well... I only went through one specific route, but it was really well written.

Oh, and before I forget it, keep in mind that GOG.com is having a massive sale right now.
Golden oldies with an uplifting theme are acceptable too, if anyone has any specific recommendations. And no, by "uplifting theme" I don't mean Magic Carpet! :D

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:18 pm

I've found a few games that might fit what I'm looking for:

Chantelis: The Tale of Two Sisters
It's an RPG from the same group that made Recettear,and focuses more on the traditional RPG stuff than on running the shop. The art style is very much the same one as in Recettear, including the characters' faces, but other than that it looks decent enough.

And that game's title obviously reminded me of
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Which again could work very well indeed.