Portal 2

Anything else
zoidberg rules

Re: Portal 2

Post by zoidberg rules » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:55 am

Happy times, I'm not bothering to preorder it personally, I'll just get it on console when it comes out.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:27 am

You know, if you buy Portal 2 for the PS3, you automatically get a copy of it for your Steam account on PC and Mac.

Also, this:
"PS3 gamers will be able to simply drop the Blu-ray disc in the PS3, link to their Steam account from inside the game, and all their Steam friends (on PC and Mac) will be visible and accessible for chat and game invites."

- Portal 2 project lead, Josh Weier

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Where's the bit where it says free copy for your PC Steam account?

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:53 pm

WHAT

YES

*runs out the door to buy it for PS3*

I could probably run it on my PC at a decent rate, but it should run like a beauty on the PS3. And it doesn't hurt that it's running on a 42" TV as opposed to a 23" monitor :D

R_T: It links to your Steam account, but I don't know if that means you can play it from PC. What it does mean, however, is cross-console multiplayer (ie you can co-op with someone on PC from the PS3) But is this not available for 360? Why not? I can't see PSN being so radically different from Live that they can't do the same thing.

Kicktar

Post by Kicktar » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:57 pm

Actually, you get the game on both platforms.
On top of that, anyone who buys Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 will be able to unlock a Steam Play copy of Portal 2 for the PC and Mac for free by linking their PSN and Steam accounts.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Kicktar wrote:Actually, you get the game on both platforms.
On top of that, anyone who buys Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 will be able to unlock a Steam Play copy of Portal 2 for the PC and Mac for free by linking their PSN and Steam accounts.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:But is this not available for 360? Why not?
Because the people at Microsoft wants everyone to play on an Xbox. If you have a friend with an Xbox, they want you to also buy an Xbox instead of being able to play from another platform. Cheap bastards, that's what they are.

Also, Microsoft and Sony doesn't exactly walk around hand-in-hand.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:38 am

Portal 2 to be Released Early?

And you know what? I think they're right ...

I thought it was odd that they were releasing it on a Tuesday rather than a Friday. Customarily all of valves updates for TF2 were always done on Friday so people could play through the weekend.

Anyways, I'm going to leave my computer on for the night and preload the game now, because I suspect this is probably true. Valve would pull something like this.

I plan to go visit the manufacturing wing and meet the engineers working at the place I interviewed at and then go home and play some Portal 2.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:46 am

I preordered it, so I have to wait for my (European) physical copy to arrive in my mailbox.
Hopefully, it won't take longer than until somewhere in the middle of next week.

I just have to avoid spoilers of any kind until I've gotten my own hands on it. Image

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:22 am

Y'know what would drive me into a boiling rage?

If the game gets released early but then Australian release dates screw me over.

I already have to wait until the 20th. But that's only one extra day, no big deal. But if everyone else were to get it on the 15th... arrrg!

(Steam pre-load: 77% ... gimme gimme gimme...)

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 am

Yeah, not being able to get it straight ahead must suck.
I also tend to use Steam quite a lot because of it.

Also, can you already pre-load it? How does that work exactly, since it's not released?

Kicktar

Post by Kicktar » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:31 am

It loads most of the game except some core files, keeps them encrypted and without the core files until the release, then send the core files and unencrypts the files.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:12 am

Well I guess this is Valve's way of saying "Buy more crap!" :evil:

http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

... I'm kinda pissed right now because valve's money making schemes are starting to get on my nerves :evil:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:16 am

Freshbite wrote:
Ragdollmaster wrote:But is this not available for 360? Why not?
Because the people at Microsoft wants everyone to play on an Xbox. If you have a friend with an Xbox, they want you to also buy an Xbox instead of being able to play from another platform. Cheap bastards, that's what they are.

Also, Microsoft and Sony doesn't exactly walk around hand-in-hand.
If you think Microsoft is money-grubbing and Sony isn't you're delusional...
Assaultman67 wrote:Well I guess this is Valve's way of saying "Buy more crap!" :evil:

... I'm kinda pissed right now because valve's money making schemes are starting to get on my nerves :evil:
I don't think you actually have to buy the bundle. I think if you just play some of those games on Steam the meter goes up anyway...but, having said that, the bundle is actually very good value. Some games I'd want to buy by themselves, Amnesia, Super Meat Boy, Bit Trip Beat, Audiosurf, Killing Floor.

Having said that, the timing puzzles me. They release this, what, three or four days beforehand? What kind of incentive is that? If they'd released it a few weeks or a month beforehand it might be something to work towards.

Most people will just, well, wait.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:56 am

Assaultman67 wrote:Well I guess this is Valve's way of saying "Buy more crap!" :evil:

You don't have to buy the bundle. If you have any one of the games you still get the new content.

I nearly shat a brick when I heard GLaDOS's voice in Killing Floor.
Renegade_Turner wrote:Some games I'd want to buy by themselves, Amnesia, Super Meat Boy, Bit Trip Beat, Audiosurf, Killing Floor.
I thought you refused to play Amnesia...