Game details that BLEW YOUR MIND.

Anything else
Assaultman67

Re: Game details that BLEW YOUR MIND.

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:... Every game starts great and then fails to reach the bar which it sets for itself in the beginning. It's almost as if near the climax of every game Valve just went "Fuck it, they'll probably finish if we just slop together some levels and put in the same ol' game mechanics." The worst part is, I feel like games with such great beginnings have to have great endings, but I don't feel like I should have to (or even want to) push through an incredibly boring section of the game just to see the cool, mindblowing ending.
That is exactly how valve operates.

The beginning and end is incredibly mind blowing, and then during the middle the detail tapers off a bit. They can get away with it though because the player is too busy shooting bad guys or solving puzzles.

For example the beginning of Portal2 is probably the only time they used extremely intensive physics in the entire game. And at the end they basically break away into a mind blowing bink video (I can recognize their videos the instant I see it) that was custom animated outside their

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Tue May 10, 2011 10:36 am

Actually, a low completion rate is pretty common in even the most popular games. Something about life and how it can get in the way every now and then :P

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue May 10, 2011 3:00 pm

I've finished almost every game that I've ever owned reasonably long enough to finish, so I don't think it's an issue of not having the time, it's an issue of not wanting to spend the time because the game is painfully boring.

Most of the games in heavy-hitting franchises like Halo, Gears Of War, Metal Gear, Call Of Duty (urgh) et al. are probably finished by at least most, if not almost all, of the players who buy them. Except maybe CoD. A lot of people just skip the campaign entirely because they know it will be embarrassingly bad (CoD 1, 2, and 4 are excused) and go straight to the online.

Point is: In my experience, just Half-Life.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Tue May 10, 2011 5:12 pm

From http://raptr.com/

Halo 3
Finish on Normal or above - 56.69%

Halo ODST
Completed on Normal or above - 53.68%

Halo Reach
Complete on Normal or Above - 56.18%

Mass Effect
Complete Majority of the Game - 29.59%

Mass Effect 2
Survive Suicide mission - 41.31%

Gears of War
Complete all acts in Casual or Above - 55.84%

Gears of War 2
Complete all acts on Casual or Above - 62.22%

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue May 10, 2011 5:18 pm

In my experience, just Half-Life.
In my experience
my experience
Also, yeah, way not to account for the easiest difficulty levels. Believe it or not, there are people who use those :roll: And what exactly does "majority" mean under ME? Complete more than 50% of the total content or finished the storyline?

tl;dr -> Every Half-Life game I've played got boring. Almost every other game I've played, I've finished.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Tue May 10, 2011 5:45 pm

I was just reaffirming my point, dude, and you're cutting the line between intelligible reasoning and being a jack ass.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue May 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Line? What line?

And in that case, even if you realize that a lot of popular games aren't completed by a high amount of players, then why with react with "incredulous shock"?

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Tue May 10, 2011 7:50 pm

That was more at your apparent need to slate Half Life as hard as you can.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Tue May 10, 2011 8:49 pm

I like how that image reflects the exact pose that I currently hold.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue May 10, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm not 'slating' the games in the series. They're good. They're also drawn out and get too boring to finish (IMO), which is bad. One downside does not a bad game make.

You seem to be rather defensive, though. I just pointed out a valid flaw within the series.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Wed May 11, 2011 2:46 am

Ragdoll, scroll back up through the last ten posts or so and let me know if you actually think I'm the one attempting to justify an opinion here, or even putting one out to justify.

Hell, I only stepped in to swing my pencil because of how brusque and presumptuously you replied to Zhukov. Mind you, I'm starting to see a pattern emerge so before this derails more than necessary can this little call and response stop?

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Wed May 11, 2011 2:52 am

Back on topic, I loved how in Batman: AA his costume gradually took on more rips and tears. At first, I wasn't sure if it was as a result of how I was playing (which, in fairness, would have been cooler and a bit Fable-esque) but even so it spoke of a playful inventiveness at Rocksteady.

That game was full of neat little touches and elements from the rogues gallery :D

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed May 11, 2011 4:27 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:I'm not 'slating' the games in the series. They're good. They're also drawn out and get too boring to finish (IMO), which is bad. One downside does not a bad game make.

You seem to be rather defensive, though. I just pointed out a valid flaw within the series.
You did? I just saw you being brash and obnoxious, and not in a witty way.

Especially with that last .jpg image you posted.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed May 11, 2011 5:39 am

...honest to god, what're you all talking about? I gave a pretty clear argument about why I thought Half-Life was too drawn out and he went off on a tangent about game completion rates, a point I barely even touched on. If you can't see that, you're either blind or trolling.

>Actually, a low completion rate is pretty common in even the most popular games. Something about life and how it can get in the way every now and then :P

Perfectly valid point, yet barely related to the core of what I was saying.

>Point is: In my experience, just Half-Life.

I even went ahead and nicely labeled my main point.

>Statistics about other games, a response to another point I barely touched on.

OK?

>Your statistics are rather flawed. Also I'm just talking about Half-Life.

>Y U SO MEAN TO HALF-LIFE

What? Please show me any instance of where I "slated" the series without any justified cause. I thought it was at least a balanced, if not even mostly positive, argument for the series.

I would rather this silliness stop. All I did, in essence, was say "Half-Life games are too long." Why all the hoopla?

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Wed May 11, 2011 6:43 am

Look, as evidenced by the lack of a minature novella here I have refrained from making a counter argument because, as you have said enough, you're talking on opinion. The point and the statistics were an aside, not an attack, I put up the source for this very reason (otherwise I would have just quoted them randomly with a sense of triumph).

As far as slating goes, I don't think it implies a lack of justification, you're just taking this further than it needs to go. As in, stop, please.