Portal 2

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Portal 2

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Grayswandir wrote:The only game that takes advantage of the whole Windows - Xbox 360 thing right now, that I know of, is Lost Planet: Colonies.
Shadowrun was the same, and had achievements on the XBox 360 for killing players who were playing on Windows PC's. lol

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm actually pretty stoked for Portal 2.

...but I'm probably not going to buy it for the $60. I'll probably wait a few months.

What I'm most interested in is the new co-op. I like the idea that the two actually have to rely on each other to progress.

And it would be neat to see more PC-360 related achievements. Anything's better than Prince of Persia's stupid-easy achievements, such as "Started Your Journey" or whatever where you got 10G for sitting through the opening cinematic. :roll:

pookaguy

Post by pookaguy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Blorx wrote:not going to buy it for the $45.
Fix'd

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:11 pm

pookaguy wrote:
Blorx wrote:not going to buy it for the $45.
Fix'd
http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/portal-2/77277

I wouldn't be buying it for PC. My PC has been having issues with certain games recently. I think it's starting to show its age.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 am

Is anyone else here secretly happy that valve for the most part failed on their "release portal 2 early" promotion?

I just don't like the fact that they were trying to get people to buy their pack through steam so they could squeeze a little extra cash out of the anticipation for their game?

(or was that their plan all along? Set an unachievable goal and con people into buying and participating with no decent hope of it getting released early? I doubt it.)

Anyways, valve started irritating me with the TF2 store, but it seems as if their micro transactions and gimmicks are getting worse.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:46 am

Assaultman67 wrote:Is anyone else here secretly happy that valve for the most part failed on their "release portal 2 early" promotion?

I just don't like the fact that they were trying to get people to buy their pack through steam so they could squeeze a little extra cash out of the anticipation for their game?

(or was that their plan all along? Set an unachievable goal and con people into buying and participating with no decent hope of it getting released early? I doubt it.)

Anyways, valve started irritating me with the TF2 store, but it seems as if their micro transactions and gimmicks are getting worse.
I do not understand the anger in relation to this promotion. It's not just you either. The Steam forums went nuts for a while back there.

It's not as if they were making you spend any money. If you don't want to participate, just don't. Hell, even if you didn't buy anything you could still have benefited from the early release anyway.

Same goes for the TF2 store. You don't have to buy anything. You can still get the stuff through the game like always.

*sigh*

The avergae gamer is a entitled little turd. It's things like this that really drive that fact home.

Kicktar

Post by Kicktar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:21 am

Besides, it is coming out early, since every time a game's progress reaches the end it lops 50 minutes off the time till launch. So it is currently 350 minutes ahead.

pookaguy

Post by pookaguy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:44 am

Kicktar wrote:Besides, it is coming out early, since every time a game's progress reaches the end it lops 50 minutes off the time till launch. So it is currently 350 minutes ahead.
Not to mention finding potatoes in the games boosts it, so it is actually farther than that.

Kicktar

Post by Kicktar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:18 am

Just did some calculations based on what I knew, and apparently the release is 20 minutes after what I originally predicted. That or I got mixed up during the calculating.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Zhukov wrote:... I do not understand the anger in relation to this promotion. It's not just you either. The Steam forums went nuts for a while back there.

It's not as if they were making you spend any money. If you don't want to participate, just don't. Hell, even if you didn't buy anything you could still have benefited from the early release anyway.

Same goes for the TF2 store. You don't have to buy anything. You can still get the stuff through the game like always.

*sigh*

The average gamer is a entitled little turd. It's things like this that really drive that fact home.
I simply hate aggressive advertising and sales gimmicks in general.

Advertising is about waving something in front of someone to get them to buy it.

The TF2 store annoyed me because when I bought that game it wasn't implemented. I was happy the way the game was. Now the game is a walking advertisement, every time you start the game it shows you a brand new expensive item in the store you simply cant afford.

(Sure, you could say "oh, its only 5 bucks" but if you impulsively bought anything you even slightly wanted you would be more than just broke ... hence, there is a certain level of want/price to afford it)

So what happens when you cant buy the stuff you want? You suffer from not having it.

Essentially its all about the Buddhist philosophy of all suffering is caused by desire.

It annoys people because they want it and can't afford it. Then the advertisement becomes a flashing reminder of what you cant have.

Advertisement in general is practically provoking suffering in people. Without said advertisement they would have never of had that desire in the first place and lived blissfully ignorant.

Hence, if valve never had this deal in the first place, no one would have been sad about missing out on the deal.

not to mention that the deal for most people is the early release of Portal 2 which isn't even a guaranteed result! Most of the people buying the potato pack only want it because it will help speed up the process to release Portal 2. Hence this whole deal requires both money and effort and is still not guaranteed.

Its just not worth the money to buy ... yet there it sits, taunting us, reminding us of this offer which we simply cant afford.

... and thats where the anger comes in. Some people realize that valve is the reason for the suffering (ok more like slight inconvenience) ... however they're still responsible for causing it.

Lets put it another way.

Say hypothetically, every single morning a kid goes and puts a cinderblock behind your car tire that you have to move to drive off. Eventually you would get annoyed and you would definitely be pissed at the kid.

Kicktar

Post by Kicktar » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:39 pm

Except in this case, you don't suffer as much since it'll get released anyway, and you can play it soon, just not as soon as if you had contributed to the potato sack pack.

EDIT:
10:50 - Engaging starch-based power cells
11:00 - Reboot safety test protocol initiated...
11:00 - Relaxation chamber locks released...
11:00 - Involuntary hazard mitigation associates have assumed testing positions...
11:00 - Pre-release lethality assessment initiated...

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:31 pm

Ohhhhh...

Shit be in motion. Check out the potato counter at the bottom.

Also, note that the huge "ZERO" has become a huge "NINE". The first of nine...

I haven't the slightest clue what is going on, but it's more exciting than it has any right to be.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:49 pm

A wrap-up of today's events...

This is pretty funny for me.

I feel bad for anyone expecting the ARG to go out with a bang. Valve would have pulled one of the greatest marketing stunts if they had actually released Portal 2 early. However, it's becoming more and more apparent that it's nothing more than a marketing stunt, as, today being the day before the original Portal 2 release date, it's officially clear that Valve never intended to release Portal 2 early.

EDIT: Even funnier... http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/18/porta ... of-glados/

"Meanwhile, some fans are taking matters, and potatoes, into their own hands, organizing the mailing of actual potatoes to Valve HQ."

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm confused.

And I still don't have a damn clue when the bloody thing is actually coming out.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:26 pm

I hold in my hand, a very physical copy of the game itself.
Now to just wait for the actual release.

... I should have bought a PS3 copy. Image