Portal 2

Anything else
Ere Was I

Re: Portal 2

Post by Ere Was I » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote: Oh look at this pseudo-intellectual. We obviously weren't using materialism in the sense of the word that means a person believes that nothing exists but physical matter. We were using materialism in the sense of the word that means a person whose sole desires are based on wealth and possessions rather than matters of the mind such as morality, personality and happiness.

There was no need to come in with your dictionary reference of a meaning of a word that we weren't using. Who uses the word "materialism" in the sense which you described anywhere outside of philosophy anyway? What's most common is the idea of the word which we were using. Words are defined as what they are habitually seen to mean. Gah!

Sorry, that was a bit over-the-top. I didn't even use the word "materialism" and I got annoyed about you trying to obnoxiously correct people when they weren't wrong.
Don't be like that, you'll make me all sad in the eyes.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:01 pm

Ere Was I wrote:Don't be like that, you'll make me all sad in the eyes.
Sad in the eye.
Because you're obviously a seafaring pirate.
With a parrot.
And a mechanical arm.
And Evil Robot mateys.
And a horse named Horace.
And you're Satan.

Hail Satan.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:37 am

Ohey there, I thought this was a thread on Portal 2. Guess I was wrong? >.>

Beat it yesterday night. The ending song made me smile a little bit. Great game, though I haven't even touched co-op yet. Once my friends have beaten single player I will probably play with them though.

Reviews on co-op if you've done it?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:51 am

I've been playing co-op with my roommate. It has been pretty fun so far, Glados is hilarious.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 pm

Sandurz wrote:Ohey there, I thought this was a thread on Portal 2. Guess I was wrong? >.>

Beat it yesterday night. The ending song made me smile a little bit. Great game, though I haven't even touched co-op yet. Once my friends have beaten single player I will probably play with them though.

Reviews on co-op if you've done it?
Argh! a spoiler!

My evil plan of distracting the people in this thread so i dont get exposed to spoilers before i play has ultimately failed!

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:16 pm

I played through co-op with a friend tonight, it was even MORE fun than campaign. Which is kind of hard to do XD

Especially since he we were doing it on his ps3, which I suck with.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:27 am

So why didn't you get on a PC and do online co-op with him? Or do you have it for 360 ;o

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:11 am

Nah, I went to his house to do it. He doesn't have a PC.

Egan

Post by Egan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Assaultman67 wrote: And I guess you could say "oh, well dont buy portal 2 if it annoys you that much" ... the funny thing is no one even knew that valve was going to be selling hats and doing the same microtransactions as seen in TF2 before portal 2 came out. We all assumed it would work just like portal 1 did, a great game with no gimmicks.
portal 1 IS a gimmick!

Kicktar

Post by Kicktar » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Actually, technically, everything unnatural is a gimmick.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:02 pm

You gimmick!

Disco Science

Post by Disco Science » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:20 am

I beat the single-player campaign last night; I don't know anyone who for-sure has Steam (or, within this backwater province, anyone besides me who even has a computer good enough to play Portal 2 — I don't know a lot of people around here, which suits me just fine), so I doubt I'll get to play co-op P2 for literally years to come. As far as single-player goes, though, I loved it. If anything, I just wished [SPOILER]they'd done more with Cave Johnson; J.K. Simmons was awesome in that role and it would've been a real treat to get more performance time out of him beyond the limited set of recordings present in the game. Also, I really wished they'd explored GLaDOS' past life to a much greater degree in the story[/SPOILER]. The ending song (which I won't spoiler-tag since it's already been spoiled) wasn't, IMO, as catchy or instantly memorable as Still Alive, but it was lovely in its own right. I don't think P2 will be the pop-culture phenomenon P1 was, but all it really needed to be was a good sequel, and it more than satisfied me on that front.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Egan wrote:
Assaultman67 wrote: And I guess you could say "oh, well dont buy portal 2 if it annoys you that much" ... the funny thing is no one even knew that valve was going to be selling hats and doing the same microtransactions as seen in TF2 before portal 2 came out. We all assumed it would work just like portal 1 did, a great game with no gimmicks.
portal 1 IS a gimmick!
What a silly thing to say. Because the game's centred around portals, the portals are a gimmick So Tetris must be a gimmick too since all it's about is placing blocks. Sort yourself out.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:16 pm

So i sat down and played the game ... the single player had a TON of detail behind it.

But in all honesty, the multiplayer is just too easy ...

me and a friend basically beat all the levels in only a few hours.

Then again, I tried playing with a stranger afterwards when I already knew what to do, and it was MUCH harder.

I think we were just better in sync ... I didn't have to explain things and neither did he.

As for the hat buying system ... it was much much much less invasive than I thought it would be, which I guess is a good thing.

overall, id rate the game 8 out of 10. The reason i rated it 8 out of 10 is because

a) there was a few moments where I thought "Im getting tired of this"

b) I actually quit after two hours of gameplay and went to bed around 1am rather than be hopelessly addicted into the wee hours of the morning.

c) It lacked alot of its actual potential.
Has anyone played surf maps in counter strike or TF2? ... yea, we needed more of that quality in Portal 2. It needed a little less puzzle solving and more pure fun to the levels. such as more faith plates, gels, and uses of portals to simply fly or speed around the room.

can you imagine a surf map with portals, gel and faith plates? That would be sweet

I think valve misinterpreted why fans liked portal. They liked portal because it was fun to use mind bending tools and things, as well as the dialog between glados and the main character.

valve nailed the dialog, but i think they went a bit too far with the puzzle solving and should have made it simply more pure fun. banging your head against a wall trying to figure out puzzles will just make people not want to continue after solving the current one.

(I don't think i spoiled anything because you don't know what im talking about :P )