Battlefield 3

Anything else
Ragdollmaster

Battlefield 3

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:40 pm

*Watch in 720p!*

I am impressed- first and foremost by the brilliance of the presentation! Visuals and sounds are clean and crisp, and everything from the lighting in alleys to the sights on rifles has a stunningly high level of visual detail. The animations of the soldiers' movements are great, far surpassing Bad Company 2 and residing more on the level of a game like Killzone 3.

On a related note, do you guys think that next-gen games are beginning to peak out on their potential quality? We've seen games steadily get more and more gorgeous over the past few years. Uncharted 1 used to be breathtaking in its visuals, and now it looks like your run of the mill shooter. MGS4 used to look like a movie, and now you can't help but notice some of the flat, low-res textures that plague certain areas of the game. Oblivion used to be a game of shocking beauty, and the now the soon-to-be-released Skyrim looks like its ten times better. Game engines have been getting stronger and more efficient even though the hardware that runs them hasn't changed except for a few firmware updates, and you have to wonder, when will devs reach their limit, and once they hit it, how long will they be content with that limit until they start clamoring for the PS4 and Xbox 720?

Sorry for the long-winded post, but discuss :lol:

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re: Battlefield 3

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:05 pm

Scripted events are cool, but I'm going to wait and see what the multiplayer is like before I pass judgement on BF3.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:06 am

Blaaaarrg...

*sigh*

Okay, okay. I must admit that, yes, it looks pretty, is very well presented and has extremely solid scripting.

But I really don't have the stomach for yet another militaristic power fantasy featuring big tough Americans shooting Middle Eastern people from a first person perspective. It looks like George Bush's personal wet dream. I don't care how good the scripting or graphics are, that shit can just fuck right off and die in a fire.

Also, the term "CoD clone" comes to mind. Granted, it's way too early to bring down that particular hammer of judgement when all we have to go on is a preview video. But throughout said video the dominant thought in my head was, "This looks like Call of Duty with extra grey."

There's always the multiplayer though. After all, the Battlefield series has always been built on its strong multiplayer. But then again, it's not like the world has never seen an online FPS before. To stand out in that market you have to do something pretty fucking spectacular.

In short, this game isn't even on my radar. Especially not when rare and juicy delicacies like Portal 2, Deus Ex: HR and Mass Effect 3 are on the horizon. Mmm... can't wait.

PS. I can't help but notice that I always end up hating any game Ragdollmaster gets excited about. This inevitably compels me to start hurling textual turds at it, which makes me fell like a bit of a prick.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:31 am

I think the multiplayer will most likely end up being spectacular, since DICE is trying to go back more towards the Battlefield 2 style than Bad Company, which was great in its own right, but I'm really excited about a more classic play style returning to be supplemented with all of the next-gen goodies available on Frostbite 2.0- like collapsing 10 story buildings. DICE is full of seasoned veterans who are really some of the best in the business.
Zhukov wrote:PS. I can't help but notice that I always end up hating any game Ragdollmaster gets excited about. This inevitably compels me to start hurling textual turds at it, which makes me fell like a bit of a prick.
That's more due to differences of opinion and preference than you being a prick, Zhukov, but we do share a mutual love for Mass Effect and Portal <3 I have, abhorrently, never played Deus Ex, so I can't attest to its quality, but I have heard many good things about it :P
Zhukov wrote:But I really don't have the stomach for yet another militaristic power fantasy featuring big tough Americans shooting Middle Eastern people from a first person perspective. It looks like George Bush's personal wet dream. I don't care how good the scripting or graphics are, that shit can just fuck right off and die in a fire.
I'm not overly excited about the storyline either, but considering there hasn't been much information released on it (other than "Middle East, 2014, shit goes down") I think it's a bit early to dismiss it as being a bland "THERE'S TERRORISTS AND WE'RE A-GONNA KILL EM CAUSE WE'RE AMERICANS", aka CoD clone. Unfortunately, it does seem to be leaning in that direction as of now.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Think I'll wait for some actual gameplay before I get excited about anything. This is like the Bioshock Infinite trailer.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:33 pm

That was real-time gameplay. Or do you mean multiplayer?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 pm

It seems like there's something off about it. Check out 3:09 in the video. How is that actual gameplay? Maybe it is real gameplay but it looks ridiculous. So much scripting!

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:12 pm

The only Battlefield game I've ever actually enjoyed was the first Bad Company, and it was pretty short lived.

That's not to ignore 1942, or to say it's a bad game, I just wasn't incredibly fond of it.

Actually, scratch that. I had a bit of also short-lived fun with Battlefield Heroes before they went from "A Battlefield game for free with some cosmetic options" to "A Battlefield game for people who want to pay to be teh annihilatorz".

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:It seems like there's something off about it. Check out 3:09 in the video. How is that actual gameplay? Maybe it is real gameplay but it looks ridiculous. So much scripting!
I don't know about 3:09 or 8:21, but I doubt that they'd be fully scripted in the finished game. Probably quicktime events or something similar. Everything else, though, is clearly real gameplay! There's a HUD, complete with objectives in the top-left, hit markers, and the video is even labeled a "gameplay trailer." At 0:10, it says "12 Minute Gameplay - Actual Gameplay Footage Based On Pre-Alpha Software."

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:35 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:...and the video is even labeled a "gameplay trailer." At 0:10, it says "12 Minute Gameplay - Actual Gameplay Footage Based On Pre-Alpha Software."
Umm...

pookaguy

Post by pookaguy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Ragdollmaster wrote:...and the video is even labeled a "gameplay trailer." At 0:10, it says "12 Minute Gameplay - Actual Gameplay Footage Based On Pre-Alpha Software."
Umm...

Are you a jedi in that game? 0.o
Also, I don't think that's all gameplay footage.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:02 am

That's the point! None of it is actual gameplay. It's made in such a way that it gives the illusion that it's actual gameplay.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:04 pm

Honest to god, I never doubted its validity. Some sequences are obviously scripted- you brought out 3:09 as an example. But this seriously looks like straight-up gameplay to me. Why wouldn't it? The movement of the player character and the shooting looks really similar to Bad Company 2, except prettier. Sure, there might be some behind-the-scene touch-ups that have been done to the video, but I honestly think that for the most part it's the result of a great engine and an awesome development team. Only time will tell.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:34 pm

If there's anything to take in from these trailers, it is that they already have an extensive graphical engine in effect, and that they probably will have greatly scripted non-playing characters.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:42 am

Also, an interesting post from one of the Letters To The Editor articles at The Escapist:

"The irritating thing is that a lot of the complaints about "mainstream games" is really code for "mainstream games I don't like". Take Dead Space, for instance. Innovative title, EA really threw their weight behind marketing it. And it was a wild success. And then those same gamers turn around and complain about the prevalence of CoD. Funny thing is, a lot of those same gamers love Battlefield, despite the fact that there are almost twice as ma[n]y Battlefield games as CoD. In fact, CoD has to include their cheapjack cell phone games just to catch up to Battlefield's numbers.

Not that I'm saying anything against either series, mind you. Just pointing out the double standard. What's more, CoD is still wildly popular, which means the complainers seem to be vastly overestimating their number, and underestimating their own vocalness, if that's the word I want.
"

- JonnWood