Worst and Best Graphics Engine:

Anything else
LugaruFan

Worst and Best Graphics Engine:

Post by LugaruFan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:36 am

This is a thread about the Worst/Best Graphics Engines.

Endoperez

Re: Worst and Best Graphics Engine:

Post by Endoperez » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:22 pm

I rather like X-Com's battlescape. It's great. I don't like UFO: Enemy Unknown's geoscape. It gets the job done, barely, but the map doesn't even really show the kind of terrain I should expect in the battle. Those are the best and worst graphics engines (and they were actually separate exeutables, heh) of all the squad-based tactical combat/strategy games released on 1994, which is what I assume this thread is about. :lol:

Seriously speaking, what are we supposed to talk about?

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:56 pm

I think Unreal Engines graphics are good. Also Crytek and CryEngine.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:01 pm

Gamebryo is largely blamed for the instability and low performance of Fallout 3 and Oblivion, so that could be a candidate for worst graphics engine. Also, Torque 3D used to be cutting-edge and important when it was used for Tribes 2, but is now largely irrelevant.

The best graphics engines seem pretty similar, with only a few distinct specialties. ID Tech 5 has its unique megatexture feature, so every surface has a unique texture that is drawn in a single rendering pass: no need for blending or decals. GeoMod 2.5 has really spectacular building destruction that runs smoothly on console hardware. The Avalanche and RAGE engines have great streaming open-world rendering. Unreal Engine has quite polished editing tools, so it is a very popular choice for studios that don't want to write their own engines. Anvil has an efficient system for simulating and rendering large crowds of NPCs.

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:50 am

That's quite a mouth-full there David :wink:
To be honest I think Phoenix is more than descent as an Engine, it's got very nice graphics, and is very easy to use.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Doesn't the Unreal engine have problems with slow texture loading and pop-in? Or is that more on the fault of the developers using the engine?

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Grayswandir wrote:Doesn't the Unreal engine have problems with slow texture loading and pop-in? Or is that more on the fault of the developers using the engine?
Most devs that tend to use Unreal modify it allot, that's probably why.