Anyone Recommend Something With A Good Pop-up Blocker?

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Anyone Recommend Something With A Good Pop-up Blocker?

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:22 pm

I have Yahoo! Toolbar, but I still seem to be getting pop-ups. Anyone have any help?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:34 pm

Firefox, though it doesn't catch 'em all.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:41 pm

I was going to say safari, but I think you're using windows. Haven't gotten one pop-up–well, maybe one, but that's it.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:50 pm

You mean you're actually using IE? You need to download Opera or Firefox ASAP.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:16 pm

Hmm, I got Stopzilla. I don't really like Firefox. I'm just used to IE. If I can get by without using Firefox, I try to.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:17 pm

That's your choice, but IE is incredibly insecure. You should look into Opera and other browsers, not just because they're safer but because they have a lot more features than IE (tabbed browsing, for example). At the very least, you should use the IE7 beta, which puts IE in roughly the same ballpark as other modern browsers.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:28 pm

I took your advice and got Internet Explorer 7 Beta, but I'm getting this foreign lettering for the title bar at the top of the screen. It looks Chinese or Korean or something. This is extremely frustrating because I can't check which page is which when I have them minimised to the Start bar. Any ideas of what's going on?

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:03 pm

You probably downloaded a different version than the English one...

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:59 am

Ok, I just have to ask now.

Andy, what don't you like about Firefox? It's the different user interface right? Or is it because by default, Firefox will take up a ton of hard drive space? (it saves every page so you can access them quickly later)
I dunno, I guess I'm just really curious about how microsoft's browser is doing compared to Mozzila's. I haven't used Internet Explorer since forever man!

Oh by the way, how is Stopzilla working out for you? I must say, I've never heard of that program before, does it look like it's stopping all these pop-ups you're getting? That's good, anyways, it got 4 stars by the cnet editors (and that's saying alot... I think, no wait I have no idea... I have no idea what to compare four stars to, nevermind then).
Good luck with that, I haven't used the beta version of IE either so, that's all new territory for me as well.

Ha ha, korean... Let's hope that's not default because of outsourcing overseas :o
Heh heh, outsourcing is funny. Outsourcing

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:26 pm

Yeah, I don't really like the interface. It just feels different, and I prefer how Internet Explorer feels. Its simplicity I find a lot better, and I don't really care for this tabbing thing. I don't find it convenient or easier to use at all.

Yeah, Stopzilla has completely stopped all the pop-ups. I haven't gotten a single one as of yet, whereas beforehand I was getting pop-ups at least once every 2 or 3 minutes.

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:33 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Yeah, I don't really like the interface. It just feels different, and I prefer how Internet Explorer feels. Its simplicity I find a lot better, and I don't really care for this tabbing thing. I don't find it convenient or easier to use at all.

Yeah, Stopzilla has completely stopped all the pop-ups. I haven't gotten a single one as of yet, whereas beforehand I was getting pop-ups at least once every 2 or 3 minutes.
If you don't like the tabs, don't use them. It isn't the only thing that Firefox offers.

I don't really understand why you don't like the interface. It is 100% customizable and you can even change the theme.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:50 pm

That's neat. Don't take it personally, guys. I just don't like Firefox, so I'm not using it.

The foreign lettering on the title bar for IE7 Beta seems to have remedied itself of its own accord. I don't understand it. Anyway, everything seems to be fine now. Thanks, Jeff.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:31 pm

I'd say Opera would be a good choice, realy..... allmost no bad popups gets through its builtin popup blocker, and it's extremely customizable. Safe. Stable. Free...
I don't see the fuzz with FireFox, though... I've tried it myself, and find Opera more like personal and always a step in front of the others.
Also, now that I'm so used to Opera, I can't live without the shortcuts it provide, so I understand how you are reluctant to changing from IE... But realy... Opera hasn't let one single virus in to my computer in the years I've used it.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:56 pm

Does Opera survive the flash scripts by the GNAA, like Last Measure?

It's relatively safe to try Last Measure out if you haven't got any important programs / docs open and shut your computer down once your system doesn't respond anymore. It spawns bazillions of new mails in your preferred mail program, but won't be able to send them. Read the wikipedia stuff before trying anything though ;)

Oh yeah, try that at your own risk. It's your computer after all.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:58 pm

Thanks for understanding, Nuky. I always knew you believed in me! :cry: