Looking for a 3D Modeller for steam workshop

Anything else
human_dictionary
Location: united states of the united kingdom of teletubbyland

Looking for a 3D Modeller for steam workshop

Post by human_dictionary » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:12 am

i have been playing team fortress 2 for a while now, and i really want to make a contribution to the game. theres just 1 problem:

i have NO IDEA how to make a 3D model or textures

so i am looking for a person to do it here, as there are skilled people in these forums.
NOTE: you will get credit for your design if you give your steam account name

so, anyway, i thought of doing a spy dagger that looks like the one from the nightmare scene from 'The Legend Of Zelda: twilight Princess'. I cant find a picture, so i have to draw a crude representation:
the snake-like dagger
the snake-like dagger
zelad dagger.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
i would like a more ornate handle, but i dont know the limitations of 3D design engines

any replies are welcome, along with questions and tips
thanks for your time!

EDIT: you will also get either most or all of the money earned from the item ( im not perfectly sure how the payment system works)

m3nace

Re: Looking for a 3D Modeller for steam workshop

Post by m3nace » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Looks like a Kriss. There's already been made several of those already so don't worry about someone making it. Example: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... s/?id=3704

And pleeeeaaaase - DO NOT EVER AGAIN REQUEST THAT SOMEBODY MAKE IT FOR YOU, learn to make it yourself or leave it be. No it is not "a highly original idea" and thus far, all modelers have tons of ideas themselves and they'll do whatever they think is fun. The steamworkshop is flooding with submissions that are in fact just crudely drawn versions of whatever stupid weapon or hat they see the tf2 characters wearing. Thank god modelers are a breed of tasteful people.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:03 pm

So basically you need someone to model the knife ...

What would you do exactly?

I mean, why would I give you the model? Why wouldn't I just submit it myself and guarantee that I get the credit I deserve for it.

Tl;dr: Learn to do it yourself ... especially if you have some warped expectation of making a profit off of it.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:23 am

human_dictionary wrote:i have been playing team fortress 2 for a while now, and i really want to make a contribution to the game. theres just 1 problem:

i have NO IDEA how to make a 3D model or textures

so i am looking for a person to do it here, as there are skilled people in these forums.
I could do that, but if I was interested in doing that, I

1) would have already done it, and
2) couldn't do it based on your picture, and
3) wouldn't want to recreate something specific from a scene from a game that doesn't mean anything to me.

Blender 3D is free. It can be used to make a dagger model, and it can be used to prepare it for texturing. Making a good texture from nothing is difficult, but making a decent texture from photographs isn't hard, and there's free photos available for the purpose at CGTextures.com.

If you're interested in this stuff, download Blender, look through some tutorials. I know the program well so I'm not sure where you could find a guide for the very basics of the interface. Try to find something for the basics such as adding in new objects, switching between object and edit mode, and grab, rotate and scaling tools. Then watch this:
http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/06/08/ ... r-part-01/

Then just test it in some game, Overgrowth works fine.