Errm..your favourite music?

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Errm..your favourite music?

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:16 am

I passed my driving test today, I'm in a great mood.

Anyway, I've got some cool news for those who may be interested. Chiodos earlier this year parted ways with their vocalist Craigery Owens, who I never really rated as a vocalist anyway, and filled the gap with the fucking tremendous singer Brandon Bolmer, formerly of underrated band Yesterday's Rising. Yesterday's Rising always had a very dedicated following from the fans they had, and were both technically and creatively sound, a lot more so than a lot of the other generic bands in the post-hardcore genre. Here's some of Yesterday's Rising's better work:

I can understand a lot of the Yesterday's Rising fans getting uppity about this. As much as it pains me to say it, they weren't getting enough recognition for their music, and in a band struggling to get funding from labels for their forthcoming album, Brandon Bolmer's talents weren't being heard by a large enough crowd. However, his efforts clearly didn't go unnoticed by other bands in the scene, as once Chiodos and Craig Owens parted ways, they contacted him to come hang out with the band with a view to being the lead vocalist. They released an album earlier this month, and a lot of people who wrote them off now that Craig Owens is no longer in the band have done a U-Turn upon listening to the album, which is better than I had imagined. Brandon Bolmer's voice seems to meld seemlessly with the band's musicianship, something which I never thought Owens's voice quite achieved. Owens has such a strong following and a lot of Chiodos fans were skeptical, which is why it's so surprising that Bolmer has won most of them over already. Enough talk, let's have some action. This song is a zombie story:

In other news, Dance Gavin Dance have parted ways with a number of their members and now feature their COMPLETE original line-up excluding Sean O' Sullivan who will be replaced by another mystery guitarist, but the other 5 original members are present. Also, Sean O' Sullivan agreed to play a reunion of all 6 members earlier this month, and here is the whole 35-minute set in quite good quality:

Jonny Craig will always amaze me. Amazing voice, especially live.

Gifted

Post by Gifted » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:23 pm

I was actually going to mention the new Chiodos album. Definitely better than their last album, although the first Chiodos album was pretty good at the time. Also, the new album seems like it'll get boring fast, due to the overall repetitive songs.

I fucking hate Craig Owens. I thought he was okay, until I added his personal facebook to my friends list. He is SUCH a little bitch. World's biggest pussy. All he does is whine, post stupid fucking statuses, Jesus Christ!

Not to mention he named his new band D.R.U.G.S., which is fucking stupid. The thing is, when I saw chiodos at warped tour a few years ago, I didn't think he acted at all like a huge pussy. I guess it's just his true personality when he isn't on stage. Can't stand the fuck.

I've never really listened to DGD, but I'll listen to anything Jonny Craig does.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:52 pm

Definitely don't agree that the songs on Chiodos's new album are repetitive.

Definitely agree that Craig Owens is a stupid fuck.

Definitely don't agree that DGD are only listenable when they feature Jonny Craig, the two albums he didn't feature on have some fucking amazing tracks, and were a HUGE leap for the band to take. So many different styles were gone through.

Definitely agree that anything Jonny Craig does is awesome.

To display DGD's progression as a band, here are 4 different songs from their EP and 3 albums in the chronological order in which they occurred:

*** Dance Gavin Dance - The Robot Vs. Heroin Battle Of Vietnam (From the EP Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean, 2006). The chorus is particularly epic:

*** Dance Gavin Dance - Lemon Meringue Tie (From the album Downtown Battle Mountain, 2007). Once again, epic chorus:

*** Dance Gavin Dance - Uneasy Hearts Weigh The Most (From the album Dance Gavin Dance, 2008). The change in clean vocals from Jonny Craig to Kurt Travis is a big change for the band, and the instrumentation on the album seems to alter accordingly to suit his voice:

*** Dance Gavin Dance - Carl Barker (From the album Happiness, 2009). The change in this album was so drastic. It's like progressive post-hardcore funk, the funky guitar licks are just genius:

Gifted

Post by Gifted » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:01 pm

By repetitive, I meant the overall sound. The big, epic production, distorted screams, guitar notes, etc. The songs are different, but listening to them all at once sounds the same. TO ME, ANYWAYS.

As far as DGD goes, I was just saying that I hadn't listened to anything with Jonny Craig or without, but now that JC is back, I might listen to them.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:09 pm

Well, naturally, if you were the one talking, we would all assume that you're stating someone else's opinion. Duh.

IN MY OPINION.

But no, I hear ya. Gotta watch your step around Ren. (Unless I'm talking to the same person, is that still in debate?) He's partial to wild rages. As are we all. As are we all.

Gifted

Post by Gifted » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Untadaike wrote:Well, naturally, if you were the one talking, we would all assume that you're stating someone else's opinion. Duh.

IN MY OPINION.

But no, I hear ya. Gotta watch your step around Ren. (Unless I'm talking to the same person, is that still in debate?) He's partial to wild rages. As are we all. As are we all.
Duh.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:43 pm

Untadaike wrote:But no, I hear ya. Gotta watch your step around Ren. (Unless I'm talking to the same person, is that still in debate?) He's partial to wild rages. As are we all. As are we all.
Lol if conversations had to end the second everyone voiced some kind of opinion, conversations would be very very short indeed.

You appear to still be bitter over something in the past. Grow up and move on.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:00 pm

Is it wierd that this song actually got stuck in my head? :lol:

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:14 am

Renegade_Turner wrote: You appear to still be bitter over something in the past.
Nah, dude. I'm having fun.

Say, do you listen to Tool? They're quite good. I would say they're a cross between System of a Down and Pink Floyd, maybe. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hglVqACd1C8

Also, anyone into Ska? Forgot to put up Operation Ivy to that list.

Gifted

Post by Gifted » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:35 am

Untadaike wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote: You appear to still be bitter over something in the past.
Nah, dude. I'm having fun.

Say, do you listen to Tool? They're quite good. I would say they're a cross between System of a Down and Pink Floyd, maybe. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hglVqACd1C8

Also, anyone into Ska? Forgot to put up Operation Ivy to that list.
.....Ska?

Jesus fuck.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:46 am

Untadaike wrote:Also, anyone into Ska? Forgot to put up Operation Ivy to that list.
Yes.
Renegade_Turner wrote:Alternative ska jazz reggae rock.

Also, I do listen to Tool and APC, but then everyone who knows anything about music has at some stage. :?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:08 pm

Just watching an Irish film from 1991 called The Commitments, and I must say it's a fucking amazing film and has renewed my mid-teens love of soul music, with Motown in particular.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:26 am

Because it has my name in it.

No real reason just because I kinda felt like putting it here.

and there's tons of other stuff I'm too lazy to post.

Gifted

Post by Gifted » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:47 am

Here's a band I saw a few weeks ago that opened for Anberlin. Their sound reminds me of The Police, Pink Floyd, U2... I don't know. They're really trancy, and I loved them live.

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wa7dFR09vU&ob=av3e[/YouTube]

A cover of the song Teardrops by Massive Attack

Edit: Not sure why the first link isn't embedding, but whatever.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:03 pm

I think it must have been something to do with the fact that you had the HD bit added onto the end. Always snip off the part after the "&" character in Youtube links if you're sharing them or embedding them.