Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Ramble on about something noone cares about

Post by Constance » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:18 am

I'll start!

...nevermind, I won't.

Glabbit

Re: Ramble on about something noone cares about

Post by Glabbit » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:18 am

So... this is like the randomness III thread?

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:19 am

Glabbit wrote:So... this is like the randomness III thread?
Because of that thread being taken over by discussion on anime, yes.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:10 am

How do you guys feel about recent developments in the Naruto manga? On the one hand, I kind of like it for sheer fanservice/awesome factor, but on the other factor, it seems like the shonen levels just got cranked up to 11. "YOU GET A POWER-UP, AND YOU GET A POWER-UP, EVERYONE GETS A POWER-UP!" I get that it's near the end and Kishi wants to do everything at once, but stop wasting panels on fucking Kiba and Shino when there's an eldritch abomination to be battled.

On an unrelated note, does anyone still follow One Piece? I gave up a while ago, around the time that Oda said "YEAH WE'RE LIKE HALFWAY DONE LOL"

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:14 am

We've already had Randomness: Origins, Randomness 2, and other sattelite threads, which all have proven to be nowhere near a match for the trusty ol' randomness, and you dare think a 'Randomness III' would hold up just because a couple dudes mention anime at one point?
Shame on you.
Shame.

The randomness thread belongs to no one, and has no subject. If you're scared of anime, just speak of something else.

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Don't you mean, "other satellite threads"? ;)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Oh, a manga thread? I've read manga!

I rather liked Aoi Hana. It's a fun and emotional slice-of-life story about two girls becoming friends again, about first loves, and how falling in love affects your relationships with your friends. It's real girly stuff, full of cooties and flowers, so I guess it isn't for people who get all up in arms when someone doubts their heterosexuality.

Kenji is another long-time favourite of mine. It's a fighting manga, but unlike Naruto and similar series, it's based on real-world martial arts. Some parts during the series are exaggerated until they become larger-than-life, and some of the philosophical theories are represented as facts and chafed me the wrong way, but other than that it's almost a guidebook into martial arts. The story follows the son of a middle-class family tempted into world of violence by his grandfather, an ex-soldier. Despite the parents' wishes, the boy is drawn into fights that escalate violently. After a slight twist, the new story is about familial love, and how to reach someone who you've lost into a different, violent world.

Angel Densetsu is another nice fighting manga, it's about a group of violent delinquents who mellow throughout the story as they get to know good-hearted people. It's one of the most hilarious stories I've read, and starts as one of the ugliest. Seriously, in the beginning it looks like a manga-style webcomic. It gets better.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Fuck.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:11 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:How do you guys feel about recent developments in the Naruto manga? On the one hand, I kind of like it for sheer fanservice/awesome factor, but on the other factor, it seems like the shonen levels just got cranked up to 11. "YOU GET A POWER-UP, AND YOU GET A POWER-UP, EVERYONE GETS A POWER-UP!" I get that it's near the end and Kishi wants to do everything at once, but stop wasting panels on fucking Kiba and Shino when there's an eldritch abomination to be battled.

On an unrelated note, does anyone still follow One Piece? I gave up a while ago, around the time that Oda said "YEAH WE'RE LIKE HALFWAY DONE LOL"
I've only watched 348 episodes so far but I watched 100 of those just in the last 2 days so I think I'll be fine aiming for all 600 of the current episodes. Not sure about the other half of the series but I think I'll manage it :/

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:48 pm

So I went out and bought a TRS-80 Model III last weekend for $2. 64k of RAM, no HD just a 5 1/2" floppy.

I took it home and very tensely plugged it in and started it up. It worked just fine. I was pretty stoked about it working. I was thinking about programming it to be an over sized alarm clock or some shit.

So I started programming in basic and the little fucker blew up on me :lol: smoke started billowing out of the back of the case. I quickly unplugged it and opened up my windows so as to try to not cause the fire alarm to go off (I live in an apartment.)

After I aired out my apartment I took it apart and discovered that The PSU died because the plastic on some of the capacitors was degraded pretty bad.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to throw it out, scrap parts from it, fix the capacitors, or just replace the PSU entirely.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:46 pm

So I looked on Newark and found some really cheap capacitors. (They're like .50 a piece)

Then I realized "Wait a minute! I can use my powers as an engineer at an electrical components manufacturing company to get free samples!" Looked through components from other divisions and saw that they have what I need. 8)

So I decided I might call up sample service tomorrow and ask for some. :P

If I get it all back together and it doesn't work, I'm going to use it for electric guitar parts. I would like to do something interesting with the CRT though. Not sure what.

As for what I intend to do with it when its all back together. I've been looking through these commands to see if I can make it not suck.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:01 am

That beast looks like it can run Crysis. Like a pro.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:42 pm

Jaz wrote:That beast looks like it can run Crysis. Like a pro.
Yea, I'm pretty sure you only need 48kb of ram to run that. The rest is just for safety.

I gotta admit. The more I have it around, the more I think "This thing is going to prevent me from getting laid some day ..."

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:41 am

Anything Not American.

Because no one cares about anything not American.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:04 am

I think you've got that backwards, Awoogie.