Some of the older online games :)

Anything else
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Some of the older online games :)

Post by Blorx » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:34 pm

How many of you have actually played any of em? No, I'm not talking about games like Ultima Online and Lineage. I'm talking about games like Meridian 59, The Realm Online and Clan Lord. I know sometimes it may seem like the graphics suck but I think it would be worth it for the gameplay. :) Besides I play Meridian 59 and that Arindal game which is pretty much a European adaption of Clan Lord.
I'm also looking for someone who has played The Realm because I was thinking about playing...I did download it, though, because there was no other was to figure out how many people are on at once...I think it said 136 or something on the main server...oh well, just wondering, I enjoy some of these games and wanna see if I can get some of you people to try em or reminisce about em. :twisted:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:52 pm

I for one have never heard of any of them to be honest.

I guess I'll stay out of this one.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:25 pm

Well... I personally like Line Flyer out of all online games... if you meant "online" by flash games... then yah :P . But I could be mistaking this for a "Counter Strike" online type of game thread :oops: ....

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:07 pm

I play Clan Lord. Translation: The only 3D MMORPG I've played is PlaneShift. :P

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:58 pm

Online as in MMO whatever...just wondering...I mean those were really the start of online games as we know them...

I actually think the first ever MMORPG was Neverwinter Nights in 1991...it was hosted by AOL and was $6 an hour...and some people have bills of over $500 a month...no it wasn't 3D...it kept AOL running in the early days, though it died in 1997...look it up, it was kinda like an MMORPG version of Ultima III or IV...

Meridian 59 was the first ever 3D MMORPG released 1996...it's still running and is $10 a month (OUTRAGEOUS, I know but so is Clan Lord). It actually has a great PvP system and is set up an Elder Scrolls or EverQuest sort of way...It's pretty cool, check it out, too, it doesn't have a free trial but, I don't necessarily want you guys to play, just look at some screenshots

Clan Lord was started in 1994 or 1995, I think, it's more of a PvE or cooperational game, with little or relatively no PvP...there are certain areas for PvP but there are very few...it's one of those games that you can't get very far in without other people and most of the time, when you die, you rely on healers to revive you...no it doesn't suck, it's just more of a real RPG... :)

I dunno much about the Realm Online which was also released 1996, just that I want to do the trial but don't know if it'll be worth getting hooked or not...it's just more of a simple game with simple graphics and I was kind of impressed with the ability to get to level 1000 something and with monsters up to level 1800

AND...those are the only classics I know of...so, I just wanted to start a discussion on them and maybe a list of em...oh well...that's about it...

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:41 am

Blorx wrote:Clan Lord was started in 1994 or 1995, I think, it's more of a PvE or cooperational game, with little or relatively no PvP...there are certain areas for PvP but there are very few...it's one of those games that you can't get very far in without other people and most of the time, when you die, you rely on healers to revive you...no it doesn't suck, it's just more of a real RPG... :)
Correct. It's only downsides are the fact that it's 2D, and the other fact that these days only 20 people are online at any one time.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:12 am

the reason that only 20 or so people are on at one time anymore: simply one of 2 things...either people say it sucks because it's 2D or people say it sucks because there's no PvP...those guys on MGF are harsh with their reviews...I think half of them are paid critics :P Also, I would play it but with Arindal being in beta and being pretty much the same thing, just in a different language, I've been playing Arindal with a beta account and CL as an Agratis...only extra downside to Arindal...because of license agreements with Delta Tao, there can be no English version, but they have German, French and Spanish, and with the pro of no current monthly fee, then coping with a foreign language isn't too bad...only thing I'm worried about is a monthly fee involved with the commercial version

EDIT: I just put a review up for Arindal (5 stars just to get people to maybe play it...oh wait, yeah right) and it made the whole rating go up one star...then again, I was only the fifth person to review it

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:20 pm

Does Nox count? Played it online once or twice. It's not über-old. '99-00, I believe.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:59 pm

Blorx wrote:…either people say it sucks because it's 2D…
Yeah, it does get slightly boring because of that, but that's not a big problem.
Blorx wrote:…or people say it sucks because there's no PvP…
What's so bad about Clan Lord's PvP? Often in Town Centre you'll find two or more people dueling/brawling with their dueling gear (That looks surprisingly like fencing gear), or someone fighting without being constricted to using dueling gear in the arena or badlands.

If you're actually serious that you think CL has no PvP, this is a complete and utter lie. Besides, the PvP is one of the best in all MMORPGs due to the fact that you can avoid getting close to someone (And you'll see yourself move from the server's point of view... Almost. You can see lag happening before your eyes 8)) rather easily and regain your balance to get ready for a precise strike, or a flurry of less accurate attacks to finish your opponent off.

Clan Lord is unpopular simply because nobody knows about it, and there are all these more active and better known 3D MMORPGs around, like World of Wackos (Gotta love names for WoW).

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:01 pm

meh. RPGs are for people with no lives.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:05 pm

Children play a different kind of RPG every time they play with each other.

What makes you think that the only people who play MMORPGs have no life?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:41 pm

that's not really true...sure there are people that play MMORPGs that have no lives but, you'll know when ya see em...(and don't just say I'm one of em...cuz I'm taking the time to post this...at 12:45 or w/e in the morning, lol...god I'm tired)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:40 pm

I've dabbled with MMORPG's. Overall they're a load of shit. Too much focus on levelling up and not enough action.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:04 am

I'm only in one MMORPG. City of heroes. It's cool, it probably wouldn't be counted as an old one though.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:08 am

Why is that?