randomness

Anything else
Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re: randomness

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:02 am

Monogatari: Second Season is a great one to watch as well if you don't mind a lot of talking and supernatural subjects. The most recent arc has some great character interaction...also, a cool new opening:

Compare it to an OP from a season ago with an arc involving the same character.

I would honestly suggest watching the xxxMonogatari series from Bakemonogatari (The first season) on.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:14 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Words with grammatical context, and punctuation.
The contents of these words intrigue me. You sure know how to sell a show. Space Brothers? I'll give it a look-see.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Timbles wrote:
RenegadeTurner wrote:words
We're done with the anime.
Just please.
Stop this madness.
Aww, c'mon, at least read what I said. This show doesn't actually play to the usual anime conventions. If you just enjoy well-written and thrilling drama, you'll enjoy this show.
AmorphousGamer wrote:Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Everyone will watch it because if you don't you don't matter enough to be considered existing.
TTGL is one of my favourites. What's so great about it is that it makes fun of itself, anime in general, and shounen manga in particular. You should start watching Kill La Kill if you liked TTGL, it's only 1 episode in but the same two guys wrote and directed both series. Kill La Kill is just ridiculous over-the-top action, and yes that's even considering how ridiculous and over-the-top most anime series are. It's on Crunchyroll too, it's being simulcasted (streamed online on the same date it airs on TV).
Ragdollmaster wrote:Started watching Attack on Titan, it's very good so far. I also happen to have the same name as one of the characters, which is kind of cool ;)
Which character is that? Attack On Titan was one of the most enjoyable rides I've had in a while. It does for the monster/mech genre of anime what The Walking Dead comics did for the zombie genre. By that, I mean I love the way it focuses on how the environment and setting affect the characters moreso than just showing constant action. It's a nice change of pace.

Having said that, a lot of people I introduced to it have said the pacing mid-series really bothered them. I disagreed, but I could see where they were coming from. Sometimes in the show there'll be 2-3 episodes of story build-up with not much action in between, but that's what I love about it. Oh god though, so many inner monologues.

Grayswandir wrote:Monogatari: Second Season is a great one to watch as well if you don't mind a lot of talking and supernatural subjects. The most recent arc has some great character interaction.
Still need to get around to starting this. I watched the first episode of Nekomonogatari last week. I'm gonna wait until I finish that to jump into Monogatari: Second Season. I finished Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari ages ago. Oh god though so much perverse implications and visual innuendo. Sometimes I need to take a break from these series for a while because of the overload in Araragi's sexual tension.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:35 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
AmorphousGamer wrote:Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Everyone will watch it because if you don't you don't matter enough to be considered existing.
TTGL is one of my favourites. What's so great about it is that it makes fun of itself, anime in general, and shounen manga in particular. You should start watching Kill La Kill if you liked TTGL, it's only 1 episode in but the same two guys wrote and directed both series. Kill La Kill is just ridiculous over-the-top action, and yes that's even considering how ridiculous and over-the-top most anime series are. It's on Crunchyroll too, it's being simulcasted (streamed online on the same date it airs on TV).
I tend to avoid ongoing anime. I like to watch an entire series in one sitting. I'll keep an eye on it though and see when it finishes up. Sounds interesting.
Oh, also, I tend to really enjoy very strange anime. Mysterious Girlfriend X being a good example. It's really really weird, but it's a nice story.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:22 pm

I need to check out Space Brothers sometime.
Renegade_Turner wrote:Still need to get around to starting this. I watched the first episode of Nekomonogatari last week. I'm gonna wait until I finish that to jump into Monogatari: Second Season. I finished Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari ages ago. Oh god though so much perverse implications and visual innuendo. Sometimes I need to take a break from these series for a while because of the overload in Araragi's sexual tension.
Ah man, yeah Araragi is a bit of an overload sometimes. Although, the references they just randomly throw in to other things is great.

Monogatari loves wordplay. Honestly, its great at making a visual spectacle out of mundane conversations about nothing.

Oh, the Gurren Lagaan guys have made a new anime called Kill La Kill!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Yeah, Kill La Kill is great fun, just about to watch the second episode of it there now. I've been eagerly awaiting it since it was announced. Other nice ones to watch this season are the new series of Hajime No Ippo and the second season of Kuroko No Basuke, which are both being simulcasted on Crunchyroll. If you enjoyed Sword Art Online, Log Horizon is a another series with basically the same premise, but it seems more focused on going into the in-depth on the workings of RPG's/MMO's rather than just being a normal-guy-thrown-into-MMO-world like SAO is.
AmorphousGamer wrote:I tend to avoid ongoing anime. I like to watch an entire series in one sitting. I'll keep an eye on it though and see when it finishes up. Sounds interesting.
I know what you mean, it can be a pain waiting for the next episode if something is so good that you want to marathon it all the way through. I've had some good times following shows week-by-week though. Space Brothers was one show I marathoned when it was still at episode 64, and since then it's a sucky feeling when you wait the whole week for the next episode and then you get 17/18 minutes of original content. It's still worth it, though.

I apologise for derailing the Randomness thread with anime discussion, but it had been unposted in for a couple weeks before I posted. I suppose it doesn't really warrant a new thread every time someone brings it up, it's not talked about that often.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:00 pm

So, Renegade_Turner, if I may ask, who are you? I've heard of you before. You've been brought up in discussions, with people saying stuff like "when he comes back." You have a ridiculous number of posts and have been registered for a long time. So, what's your story?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:53 pm

If I may attempt to answer that in his stead, I'd say our ol' Ren is the Grandmaster Arch-Troll.
Keep an eye on him.
He'll mess ya up.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:13 am

How bizarre a question. I joined the forum about 10 years ago and used to play up to the fact that I was some arrogant infallible being who could never be bested in a battle of wits (or lack thereof) because I felt inadequate in real life and had to compensate for it somewhere. I still feel inadequate, but I'm less petty. :P

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:19 pm

yeah that's right you are inadequate you decrepit piece of leprechaun feces.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Suck my tiny Irish penis you filthy American. :P

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:21 pm

present it.

Rewjeo

Post by Rewjeo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:27 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I still feel inadequate, but I'm less petty. :P
That's all anyone can ever really hope to be.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:06 am

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:22 am

That was the most jarring change of tone from page to page I've seen in a while.
And that's including Assaultman's distended ascii anus shenanigans.