Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re: randomness

Post by Grayswandir » Sat May 30, 2015 5:44 am

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat May 30, 2015 9:52 am

rodeje25 wrote:now speaking of animation:

I like it! It's an excellent animated short film, but weirdly enough, I thought that the character animation in it was a bit lacking. The facial expressions and the brief walking scene in the end were both a bit plain, somewhat awkward - I get what's happening, but the emotion isn't quite there.

The rendering and cloud effects were really nice, so in the end it doesn't detract much from the end result.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:12 pm

It's beautifull!
Altough i never really like those impossible things and that they're in a world wich nobody understands but i liked it!
It reminds me of an anime movie i once saw where a girl's parents started eating food and they then became pigs and she was in some kind of fantasy world and there were al kinds of weird creatures.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat May 30, 2015 1:08 pm

The movie you're thinking of is Spirited away, and Studio Ghibli is known for making movies mixing mundane and mystical, and portraying young children.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:38 pm

Endoperez wrote:The movie you're thinking of is Spirited away, and Studio Ghibli is known for making movies mixing mundane and mystical, and portraying young children.
And they usually have an environmentalist undertone to them. The river spirit in Spirited Away, for example.

Or the entirety of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and most of Princess Mononoke.
Jesus, I love Studio Ghibli films.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sat May 30, 2015 3:02 pm

EPR89 wrote:
Endoperez wrote: The movie you're thinking of is Spirited away, and Studio Ghibli is known for making movies mixing mundane and mystical, and portraying young children.
And they usually have an environmentalist undertone to them. The river spirit in Spirited Away, for example.

Or the entirety of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and most of Princess Mononoke.
Jesus, I love Studio Ghibli films.
and i disliked one of their movies.....

anyway since i imprisoned my games (Gyrth likes to call it that) does anyone have any models i can animate? getting kinda bored here and i have 3 or 4 weeks to go.....

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat May 30, 2015 11:31 pm

rodeje25 wrote:

anyway since i imprisoned my games (Gyrth likes to call it that) does anyone have any models i can animate? getting kinda bored here and i have 3 or 4 weeks to go.....

There's this acting animation thing, 11 second club. It's a monthly thing, you get an audio clip and animate a character for it. They give DL links for several different character models for various programs.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sun May 31, 2015 4:50 am

Endoperez wrote:
rodeje25 wrote:

There's this acting animation thing, 11 second club. It's a monthly thing, you get an audio clip and animate a character for it. They give DL links for several different character models for various programs.
Thanks,

I'll look into it!

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun May 31, 2015 5:21 am

Now. I'm curious.
Is no one mentioning that the delightful Out of Sight clip Endo posted is about the way a blind girl experiences/imagines the world around her because it's so inherently obvious, or because you all assumed it was some absurdist avant garde stuff?

I mean, just look at the way things appear out of nowhere all around her. She's not creating it, she's discovering it. With all those senses we humans have other than sight.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun May 31, 2015 6:05 am

Glabbit wrote:Is no one mentioning that the delightful Out of Sight clip Endo posted is about the way a blind girl experiences/imagines the world around her because it's so inherently obvious, or because you all assumed it was some absurdist avant garde stuff?
I was going to mention it, but then decided against it — even if she's blind, the things she imagines are pretty far out there.

The gentleman dressed up as a Victorian gentleman worked fine in that context, but the animal-people waiting for the bus? It got pretty weird for something a kid would be familiar with. A kangaroo, a bird and a tiger waiting in line for a bus? Yeah, I can see how that could have been too over-the-top for someone's tastes, even if it's a blind girl's imagination.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sun May 31, 2015 7:20 am

Endoperez wrote:
Glabbit wrote:Is no one mentioning that the delightful Out of Sight clip Endo posted is about the way a blind girl experiences/imagines the world around her because it's so inherently obvious, or because you all assumed it was some absurdist avant garde stuff?
I was going to mention it, but then decided against it — even if she's blind, the things she imagines are pretty far out there.

The gentleman dressed up as a Victorian gentleman worked fine in that context, but the animal-people waiting for the bus? It got pretty weird for something a kid would be familiar with. A kangaroo, a bird and a tiger waiting in line for a bus? Yeah, I can see how that could have been too over-the-top for someone's tastes, even if it's a blind girl's imagination.
at the end i figured out she was blind.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun May 31, 2015 8:34 am

Endoperez wrote:The gentleman dressed up as a Victorian gentleman worked fine in that context, but the animal-people waiting for the bus? It got pretty weird for something a kid would be familiar with. A kangaroo, a bird and a tiger waiting in line for a bus? Yeah, I can see how that could have been too over-the-top for someone's tastes, even if it's a blind girl's imagination.
You think so? Being blind, she had no reason *not* to think those things which, to us, might seem otherworldly or strange. She doesn't know what they look like, just what they sound/smell like, and that they're there.
Note how she equates smoke with pipes, and after passing the smoking man, she imagines the cars and such with little smoking pipes as well. Ain't that just the cutest thing.

And besides, I'd say it isn't unreasonable to assume that she is in fact playing, (note the witches outfit and "magic wand") and these magnificent things she's portraying the world with aren't necessarily what she truly thinks the world to be like.
This is a child. Let her imagination live!

Weird, you say?
Grow down.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun May 31, 2015 12:09 pm

I liked it.

I didn't comment on the thing you commented on, because I thought a different opinion on that thing wouldn't be that strange.

Also, since this is my response to your thoughts on my take on how you noticed what someone else did not say, going any further down this particular rabbit hole would be rather pointless, no?