randomness

Anything else
Makrond

Post by Makrond » Fri May 30, 2008 4:31 am

Hehe...

The problem with GTA in general - and I haven't played GTA IV so I can't comment on that - is that the car physics make it very difficult to drive 'properly'.

That said, they make for some absolutely epic racing moments.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri May 30, 2008 5:33 am

The new car physics are really great though. It's nothing like the previous games. Especially sports cars in hood view are a blast to drive on the worn-out streets of the industrial parts of the town.
You just have to be careful with braking and steering, but that's no problem since it's controlled with the analog triggers - don't squeeze em all the way and you're good.

Wet cobblestone is my worst enemy btw :(

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri May 30, 2008 6:36 am

rudel_ic wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:Hahaha, I bet you've been waiting a long time to do that, rudel_ic.

Anyone played GTA4 and looked up people's MyRoom profiles on the internet in it? They're hilarious.
Meh, the internet in GTA4 is really tedious to use, I spent like 3 minutes total in it.
They could have at least made url completion or bookmarks or whatever. It's so damn stupid if you "type in" a long url and you mistype some stupid letter and you have to do it all over again.

I guess people with a messenger extension (360) for their pad enjoyed the internet more than I did.
Dude you took it way too seriously. All I did was click around from page to page, you don't need to use the URL thing if you don't want to. I was saying it's hilarious reading all the people's profiles and their comments and replies to each other because it is.
rudel_ic wrote:Nothing against the performances, but the voice acting is really bad if you know russian.
Oh, you mean 0.1% of the people who bought the game?
rudel_ic wrote:Why didn't they reuse the turf wars? That would have worked so well in NY!
You've been to New York? I don't really think turf wars was so great. Like, sure it was fun but it just got kinda boring after a while.
rudel_ic wrote:The new car physics are really great though.
Oh boy do I agree. There's not much I love more than dodging through oncoming traffic and using creative driving to get away from the police. Maybe the police AI is retarded but come on if it was realistic the game would be impossible and no fun whatsoever. The only thing I probably love more than driving in the game is arming a grenade (but not throwing it) and running into a hospital lobby full of people and killing 20 people plus myself. Suicide bombing hospital lobbies is so much more fun than the public realises.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri May 30, 2008 7:08 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:
rudel_ic wrote:Nothing against the performances, but the voice acting is really bad if you know russian.
Wow. That is wrong on so many different levels..

First off, a lot of people speak russian. Like billions of people. Not so much serbian, but I can't speak for the quality of these parts.
Then, a lot of russians buy the game, be it those who live outside or inside their mother country.
And even if you don't speak russian, knowing that Vlad is not the common pet name for Vladimir outside of the USA, but Dimir or Volodya is is just common knowledge. Niko would never use that pet name. This is because originally, the first i is stressed, not the a.
That's just one tiny detail, but it shows the very american nature of the script writers: Letting non-american characters use american pet names. It's really ridiculous and out-of-character voicework from the actors, they should have seen that at the least.
This shows the amount of work the actors put into the game: Apart from the actual voicing, zero.
Or even if they catched that one and decided against convincing details that could confuse the teen american, that shows who they're making this game for.

Which leads us to the atrocious story. Selling Niko as a sentimental ex-military in the first 5 hours, but turning him into a money-hungry psychopath afterwards with no reason whatsoever shows yet again that video games storytelling is difficult, to put it kindly.

This ignorance spreads throughout the whole game if you're looking for such things. Which I was. Hehe.

I rushed through the game after the mass-murdering nature of Niko became apparent; the way he handled his jobs turned me off, so I wanted to get his stupid struggle for making millions in the assassination market out of the way.
I started using taxis, driving carelessly through crowds and so on.
Before, I really felt like I was in a movie-worthy story that was beginning to unfold.

Great driving game though.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri May 30, 2008 7:16 am

rudel_ic wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:
First off, a lot of people speak russian. Like billions of people. Not so much serbian, but I can't speak for the quality of these parts.
Then, a lot of russians buy the game, be it those who live outside or inside their mother country.
And even if you don't speak russian, knowing that Vlad is not the common pet name for Vladimir outside of the USA, but Dimir or Volodya is is just common knowledge. Niko would never use that pet name. This is because originally, the first i is stressed, not the a.
That's just one tiny detail, but it shows the very american nature of the script writers: Letting non-american characters use american pet names. It's really ridiculous and out-of-character voicework from the actors, they should have seen that at the least.
This shows the amount of work the actors put into the game: Apart from the actual voicing, zero.
Or even if they catched that one and decided against convincing details that could confuse the teen american, that shows who they're making this game for.
Right.

1. The characters are living in America. They've adopted American ways. Didn't Roman say that when he said how he'd forgotten their language?

2. They're just names. There's a footballer called Niko Kranjcar, so how is that not a valid name?

3. I'm not American. I loved the game, probably because I wasn't waiting at every turn for it to slip up, and criticising minute details of the plot.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri May 30, 2008 8:16 am

I didn't know that.

I didn't really see anything wrong with the script. I thought some of the lines were over-done, a few were cheesy, and the accents were sometimes a bit too much, but: 1) its Rockstar 2) its GTA 3) its a video game...so it didn't really bother me.

While I understand that you think they could have been more realistic, the voice actors may also be limited on the material. Depending on how they set up the CGI, the voice actors may have to match their words to the mouth flaps of the characters on screen instead of having the animations matched to their lines.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri May 30, 2008 10:35 am

His points make more sense than mine did.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri May 30, 2008 3:54 pm

Well, I was just bitching for the sake of it. This is randomness anyway.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri May 30, 2008 6:27 pm

Ya I can no longer tell when you're bitching or talking seriously, they're like the exact same thing.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat May 31, 2008 4:17 am

The world of midnight
Someday I want to run away
To the world of midnight
Where the darkness fill the air
Where it's icy cold

Where nobody has a name
Where living is not a game
There, I can hide my broken heart
Dying to survive

There, no one can see me cry
The tears of my lonely soul
I'll find peace of mind
In the dark and cold world of midnight

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat May 31, 2008 4:34 am

Zantalos wrote:Ya I can no longer tell when you're bitching or talking seriously, they're like the exact same thing.
Yeah, that's the blessing and the curse of posting in internet forums.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:19 pm

As some of you may know I work at a hotel.
Well, recently we got a new motivational poster in the back office, here's how it reads:

Be heroic.
Be dedicated.
Be ready.
Be confident.
Be gracious.
Be fanatical.

Yes, we are now a cult.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:43 pm

LOL @ "Be fanatical."

What were they thinking?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:53 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:LOL @ "Be fanatical."

What were they thinking?
Welcome to THE HOTEL!!! We welcome you to THE HOTEL with open arms and hope you enjoy working with us as much as we will enjoy working you over! Once the initial HAZING PERIOD is through your hourly wages will be cut and you will be trained in the ways of SERVICING THE GUEST using these INFORMATIONAL VIDEOS and a 2X4 with a few NAILS in it.
Thank you for join THE HOTEL TEAM and we hope we will work LONG AND HARD together for the BETTERMENT of the BUSINESS.

-HOTEL MANAGEMENT

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:26 pm

GET TO TH' CHOPPA'!!! NOW!!! GET TO TH' CHOPPA'!!! NO!!! ITS NOT A BRAIN TUMOR!!! ARRRRGH!!!! YOU!!! GO WATCH MY NEW MOVIE!!! CORRATERA' DAM'G!!! NEW MOVIE!!! CORRAT'L DAMA'G!!!