randomness

Anything else
Ragdollmaster

Re: randomness

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:06 pm

I finished The Last of Us a few days ago. 11/10, would literally suggest buying a PS3 just to play it. I don't do that lightly and I always thought it was stupid seeing stuff like "Halo 3 is so good you should buy an Xbox just for it" or "MGS4 is so good you should buy a PS3 just for it," but this game, holy shit. It is the single best story-based (ie singleplayer campaign) game that I've ever played.

Besides looking incredible, having some of the best atmosphere around, and going to every part of the emotional spectrum, I think it is one of the best presentations of human nature and behavior to come up in modern media, films and books included. It's incredibly believable. Everything from the characters actions to the voice acting to their facial expressions, all of those little details wrapped up, just sells the game so incredibly well.

Not only that, but it manages to avoid cliches in so many ways where it would have been easier and likely acceptable to take the tried-and-tested route. Going into a game being about ZOMBIES [er, infected] I still had slight reservations that it would have generic gameplay. But the way that it blends together stealth with limited shooting and horror elements is incredible. This isn't Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil or Dead Rising. The feel of the game is so unique. The amount of variety in the gameplay certainly surprised me. The story arcs were natural and flowed organically, and nothing ever felt like it was forced or put in just to advance the plot. Everything just kind of happens.

The world of the game feels so real- if you've seen the cities that it takes place in in real-life, you'll appreciate how close the game looks to the real world counterparts. The only thing I could compare it to would be Assassin's Creed 2's portrayal of renaissance Italy. It's not just this, though, there's a genuine feeling of post-apocalypse that I've never experienced before. From the state of the buildings to the behavior of humans to the stories you find both through conversations and through journals, notes, etc, the game reaches a level of detail and immersion that I'd never experienced with something like Fallout, which had its moments of "whoa" but certainly not a constant and organic flow of it.

Without wanting to spoil too much, it's incredible how much you can relate to the main characters. I love that they're not "good guys." They're survivors in a world that is every-man-for-himself. They do bad things and they do it because they care about themselves more than others.

Also, the prologue of the game is incredible. To give you an idea of the quality of the cinematics, voice acting, and character chemistry that is very consistent throughout the game, here's the first "level" / opening of the game. Even if you're not planning on getting this game any time soon, I'd recommend watching it.

HD link

I would say without a doubt that it is the best-made game of this generation- and notice I don't say "best game" flat out because naturally different people enjoy different things. Some might not enjoy a game that is about survival and emotion, maybe they just want to have fun and go race cars or shoot terrorists or something, which is fine, since games are about having fun. But The Last of Us ended up being one of those games that's about more than just the actual gameplay and controlling of characters. I hesitate to call it deep, because it's not really philosophical in any way. It's more like... the most accurate depiction of humanity I've seen in a video game. I think it represents a milestone of the video game genre.
Last edited by Ragdollmaster on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 pm

halo tree is dtill brtter becaue it in xbox lol

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:20 pm

I WILL CUT OUT YOUR HEART AND SHIT IN THE OPENING

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:26 pm

FUCKING TITTY SPRINKLES IN MY ANUS

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:39 am

MY REAL NAME IS BUTTS SO I CAN DO THAT

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:46 am

YOUR PARENTS SHOULD HAVE NAMED YOU RICHARD SO YOU COULD BE DICK BUTTS

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:51 pm

KORBAN IS NOW RICHARD.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:27 pm

WHEN I WAS IN COMBAT TRAINING, WE HUMPED ABOUT 6 MILES OUT INTO THE HILLS AND SET UP CAMP
THE TWO GUYS TO MY LEFT, IN ORDER FROM FIRST TO ME, WERE NAMED SEYMORE, STEINKE AND THEN ME
YEAH
NO SHIT

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:05 pm

GUYS WHY THE FUCK ARE WE YE- wait what Korban

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:02 pm

It seems they had a Steam sale on the use of Caps Lock.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Freshbite wrote:It seems they had a Steam sale on the use of Caps Lock.
So they're going to block me from using it now?

Awesome! I hate Caps Lock so much. It's useful for nothing and I keep accidentally pressing it in the middle of writING LONG POSTS.

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:03 pm

Haha that's funny Jaz I see whAT YOU DONE THERE.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:06 pm

I know it's randomness and all but I wouldn't have been heartbroken if there'd been any actually discussion instead of a page that resembled a 9gag comment thread.

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:I know it's randomness and all but I wouldn't have been heartbroken if there'd been any actually discussion instead of a page that resembled a 9gag comment thread.
I wanted to read your post. Believe me, I really did.

But it's 1am and your post's structure is... shall we say, just to be nice... horrendous.

If you restructure your post, I'll get back to you on that tomorrow :/

moomoohk

Post by moomoohk » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:35 pm

Hey Jaz have you really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?