Hatred: The Game From God

Anything else
underthedeep

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Post by underthedeep » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:12 pm

Hey phoenix your game came out and it sucks.

PrincessCelestia

Post by PrincessCelestia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:30 pm

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:34 pm

I think that's a bit harsh.

Based on what I've seen of it, I can understand how this could be fun for a while. It's going to get old pretty quickly and it has some serious design flaws, but it definitely can provide some mindless action.

What I'm disappointed with is that it really doesn't deliver on the outrage front. The violence isn't all that shocking, the NPCs never manage to become anything more than simply targets without any sort of personality and the executions are repeating constantly. There's nothing shocking about it, other than the dialogue. And the only thing shocking about it is that the guy writing it hasn't quit halfway through. I haven't heard something as cringeworthy since Tommy Wisau's "The Room". Actually, the lines the main character uses in the game are even more pathetic than the ones in that film. That's an achievement.

PrincessCelestia

Post by PrincessCelestia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:40 pm

I got a kick out of the intentionally insensitive achievements though. Nice to see people not giving a shit, although they were really contrived and immature. Life gives you lemons, I guess.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:46 pm

Steam's new return policy just came out too. The devs might lose quite a bit of their release sales to returns... I'm not sure how to feel about that. On one hand, people can return it if they don't like it... But, devs might lose a substantial portion of their "confirmed" sales afterwards. :/

I haven't looked into any reviews, but I heard the Metacritic value is at about 50/100 , which seems extraordinarily low. I wonder if it was bombed? And that in turn makes me think Metacritic is worthless as a tool.

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:19 pm

underthedeep wrote:Hey phoenix your game came out and it sucks.
Played it, barring optimization issues I have seen no (major) problems with the game.

And my rig is a fucking toaster.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:34 pm

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:03 am

Look if hatred was like this i would've used crossover to play it but now it's like mortal kombat to me and that means it goes too far for me. Toribash is the limit for me.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:47 am

rodeje25 wrote:Look if hatred was like this i would've used crossover to play it but now it's like mortal kombat to me and that means it goes too far for me. Toribash is the limit for me.
Those poor pixels.

And the violence isn't even that bad, trust me there is FAR worse out there.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:53 am

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:
rodeje25 wrote:Look if hatred was like this i would've used crossover to play it but now it's like mortal kombat to me and that means it goes too far for me. Toribash is the limit for me.
Those poor pixels.

Agreed. Based on the videos there is blood and a few attacks and cutscenes that cause the head to explode (shotgun, stomp). Pretty tame when you consider what the trailers suggested.

Of course, rodeje's comment was joking.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:57 am

EPR89 wrote:
What I'm disappointed with is that it really doesn't deliver on the outrage front. The violence isn't all that shocking, the NPCs never manage to become anything more than simply targets without any sort of personality and the executions are repeating constantly. There's nothing shocking about it, other than the dialogue. And the only thing shocking about it is that the guy writing it hasn't quit halfway through. I haven't heard something as cringeworthy since Tommy Wisau's "The Room". Actually, the lines the main character uses in the game are even more pathetic than the ones in that film. That's an achievement.
What were you expecting on the outrage front? Everything (And yes, I mean EVERYTHING) you saw in the trailers were cutscenes taken from the game. Executions, cinematics and actual gameplay are all present. Was the game supposed to undersell itself?

EPR89 wrote:Agreed. Based on the videos there is blood and a few attacks and cutscenes that cause the head to explode (shotgun, stomp). Pretty tame when you consider what the trailers suggested.

What did the trailers suggest though? Nothing in those trailers didn't/doesn't happen in the game.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:36 am

The problem is that the trailers showed pretty much everything. In a game where you have to execute people in order to get your health back, it's going to get annoying when you've seen all the cutscenes after a few minutes. Totalbiscuit mentioned this in his review. After a very short while got so uninteresting that he turned the cinematics off.

The trailers suggested more. That's what trailers are there to do. Tease the customer. The Hatred trailers didn't tease, in retrospect. The showed all there was. I just expected the game to go a bit deeper, make what you do feel as if it had some sort of impact instead of just being a point collector in a macabre and corny environment.
At the veer least, I expected there to be more varied cinematics. The trailer made it look like they were more than just a gimmick.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:54 am

EPR89 wrote:
Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:
Those poor pixels.

Agreed. Based on the videos there is blood and a few attacks and cutscenes that cause the head to explode (shotgun, stomp). Pretty tame when you consider what the trailers suggested.

The only thing i was joking about was that toribash is my the limit of violence and blood for me.
Stuff like mortal kombat and hatred actually go to far for me.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:17 am

EPR89 wrote:The problem is that the trailers showed pretty much everything.
Credit to them for the honest advertising.
In a game where you have to execute people in order to get your health back, it's going to get annoying when you've seen all the cutscenes after a few minutes. Totalbiscuit mentioned this in his review. After a very short while got so uninteresting that he turned the cinematics off.
How does this mean the game "didn't deliver on the outrage front" though? All this means is that shock value is gonna wear off after some time. If it was even remotely shocking the first time.

All it means is that people got their panties in a bunch over nothing at all, and we only realized that post-release.

The trailers suggested more.
When? They never suggested there was any more to the game then what we saw, no deeper mechanics were teased on, no interesting levels. You have to think either they're really garbage at advertising (And given the fact that the game is a success... I doubt it) or that "more" isn't really there. You can assume they won't show EVERYTHING, but they at least have to tease upon it so people will see it and want to play the game for it.
Whatever "it" may be.
That's what trailers are there to do. Tease the customer. The Hatred trailers didn't tease, in retrospect. The showed all there was.
Yet it "suggested more", sounds like you got your hopes up and got disappointed.
I just expected the game to go a bit deeper, make what you do feel as if it had some sort of impact instead of just being a point collector in a macabre and corny environment.
Well shit then.
"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
At the veer least, I expected there to be more varied cinematics. The trailer made it look like they were more than just a gimmick.
I like the executions, the varied camera angle kinda made up for the lack of variety. I didn't expect too much.