Page 6 of 19

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:54 am
by Endoperez
Phoenixwarrior141 wrote: You're still making your own point moot. You say Hatred looks realistic but isn't as realistic as it could be, thus resulting in the game not being realistic or realism changing over time.
This is (hyper) realistic painting:

Image


The ground might be a bit blurry, but it's still ridiculously realistic. Sheesh!
http://www.technocrazed.com/a-collectio ... to-gallery


This is a black-and-white photograph:

Image

The human eye couldn't see the contrasts like the camera did, and there's also a vignette effect (the dark 'blur' creeping in from the sides). It could've been part of that particular scene's lighting, maybe, but maybe not.

Both are such good representations of reality that they are accepted by humans. They look and feel real. However, detailed caricature paintings can still be clearly labeled as 'unreal' even when they are very well detailed.

Image

http://www.cartoonart.com.au/gallery/ar ... nnett.html


Despite what Ragdollmaster said, I do believe what we accept as realistic representations does change. Camera and movies have changed it. Makeup companies have changed it. Games are close to affecting it. Look up virtual photography - people can replace cameras with games... And you can't always tell the difference.

deadendthrills.com/


In Hatred, the closeups of the kills are the part that comes uncomfortably close to reality. At a glance, it's not easy to tell it from a stylish photograph.

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:34 pm
by Phoenixwarrior141
I can see the problem some people would have with that, but even then it's still just a game.

Also, I'm surprised no one's gotten pissed about the fact it uses DOOM's font, so it's kinda mocking the Columbine Massacre in a way.

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:27 pm
by Endoperez
Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:Also, I'm surprised no one's gotten pissed about the fact it uses DOOM's font, so it's kinda mocking the Columbine Massacre in a way.
It uses a logo that is similar to DOOM's, but it's not the same font. (The DOOM logo had small serifs on the D and M, and the top had small indentations between the letters instead of being level.) It is a clear reference to DOOM though, now that you pointed it out.

DOOM can be referenced without the Columbine Massacre, although for this game specifically, I can see why that would be in poor taste... Then again, I believe the developers are European, in which case they might not know the details of the Columbine Massacre. I didn't know it had such a direct connection to DOOM.

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:50 pm
by Phoenixwarrior141
It looked similar enough, that said I can see why the connection isn't immediate.

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:32 pm
by Korban3
It doesn't have any more of a direct connection to Columbine than GTA does to Virginia Tech. It was a ploy by media outlets to demonize video games and to give upset soccer moms somewhere to direct the blame other than the shitty public schools and the kind of chemical cocktails the shooters were fed in school to 'even them out'.

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:53 pm
by Endoperez
Korban3 wrote:It doesn't have any more of a direct connection to Columbine than GTA does to Virginia Tech. It was a ploy by media outlets to demonize video games and to give upset soccer moms somewhere to direct the blame other than the shitty public schools and the kind of chemical cocktails the shooters were fed in school to 'even them out'.
Doom wiki talks about it, so Doom community thinks there's enough of a connection to put it in there. GTA community doesn't. And according to the wiki, the shooter left notes it's going to be just like Doom... Whether it CAUSED it or not, the shooters themselves connected their actions to Doom.

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:13 pm
by Dammasta
Machinima had a video on this topic that I found interesting, I'm too lazy to link to the video at the moment though.

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:45 pm
by Phoenixwarrior141
I saw it too, one quote I remember was:

"Polygon says that shock culture is dead, so Hatred's trailer has little effect"

"No, it's CLEARLY WORKING"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sax_dWNT3Y

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:10 pm
by Phoenixwarrior141
Random bump to say this:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Postal ... 68430.html

Postal Redux runs on the same engine as Hatred.

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:08 pm
by Korban3
Image

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:17 pm
by Phoenixwarrior141
I knew that when posting this.

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:28 am
by SamW
Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:Reading through the development page (And watching the trailer) I want to play this. It's so adamantly against games as art and such. Which is so fucking refreshing in this era.
This game is so thoroughly edgey, that, it, in fact, embodies the very essence of the medium as art.

It is in fact hipster art.

It appeals to a specific emotion, HATRED and/or disgust. And it is politically motivated by the idea that there are too many games that appeal to other emotions. It is made to evoke controversy and is likely smug in it's ability to cause that controversy.

We will have to wait to see if this means that it's edginess > gameplay.

I do wonder if it will be effective in't it's intent, but I don't fell to need to have hatred or disgust. Thoroughly ignorable game (for me).

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:15 am
by Phoenixwarrior141
SamW wrote:
Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:Reading through the development page (And watching the trailer) I want to play this. It's so adamantly against games as art and such. Which is so fucking refreshing in this era.
This game is so thoroughly edgey, that, it, in fact, embodies the very essence of the medium as art.
I don't want to repeat myself, it being against art is enough for it to not be art.

Postal isn't art yet it's the same thing.

It is in fact hipster art.
Alright you have them there.

It appeals to a specific emotion, HATRED and/or disgust. And it is politically motivated by the idea that there are too many games that appeal to other emotions. It is made to evoke controversy and is likely smug in it's ability to cause that controversy.
No, it's smug in it's ability to kill people. Violently.

In the immortal words of the Postal Dude:

"Don't be a sissy"

"ALL MUST DIE"


We will have to wait to see if this means that it's edginess > gameplay.
I see gameplay, and it's gonna be:

Postal + Good Controls + Graphics + GTA + Twin Stick Shootery.

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:57 pm
by Korban3
Hateboner intensifies

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:57 am
by Phoenixwarrior141
Korban3 wrote:Hateboner intensifies
*Edginess.

Also, just wanna say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crUMJvCxVd0&spfreload=1

This video, is wrong. Wrong on a lot of things. A lot of things. Things that have been repeated multiple times by many people defending Hatred. So, I'll paraphrase the only point worth noting because a lot of people here seem to enjoy using it as well:

Around 5:50 in the video:
It's lazy because it's not a beautiful or emotional game. And all the other games where you do similar things have story.
This point, is bad.

For one, not every game needs to be beautiful or emotional. Just because this game doesn't dehumanize the enemies or give some flimsy, idiotic justification for killing someone. That means nothing in the end when the results are all the same.

Let me explain by example:

There are 3 games. Game A, Game B, and Game C.

Game A has you go through a building and shoot terrorists in horrific and gruesome ways.

Game B has you do the same thing, but with innocent police officers.

Game C has you do the same thing as Game A, but in the end it's revealed you didn't kill terrorists and rescue the president, you killed police officers and rescued a convicted felon.

A gives you a flimsy reason to gun down a bunch of people, so you can do it without any moral quandaries at any point in time. Regardless of how much they plead and tell you of their families.

B doesn't do any of that. It cuts off any reason to justify killing people and just tells you to do it because killing for entertainment is harmless.

C gives you the brutal reality at the end of the game. It gives off this weird philosophical thing that makes you question why you dehumanize people and give your own justification for killing them.

A and B are the same, the results are the same but the motive is different. This means little.
Game C does the same thing in a different way.


Second point: Having a story justifies nothing. It actually makes you WORSE for committing mass murder as a side activity, and says more about you than it says about Hatred simply making it an objective.