So I'm making a game in GameMaker...

Anything else
Endoperez

Re: So I'm making a game in GameMaker...

Post by Endoperez » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Found a list of graphics programs for game devs at PixelProspector:

http://www.pixelprospector.com/graphics-programs/

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Sweeeeeeet.

Also, I decided to make a list of the 4 sample units I'm going to make for the Alpha (Hopefully once I get the art done I can get onto the actual code).

The full game will have far more units and far more balanced units on both sides. I'm contemplating adding in armor (Tanks, mechs, and things of the like) and automated units (Cheaper infantry).

Here are the four units (Each) I have planned and green-lit for the Alpha.
[+] Coalition Units
19th Assault Detachment (Standard infantry, not conscript or elite units).

Description: The 19th Assault Detachment were among the first Detachments deployed into the Ethereal Sector to quell the uprising that the 33rd failed to contain. Utilizing the best equipment the Coalition has to offer, the 19th Assault is among the best Detachments within the Advanced Assault Division.

Utility (Specialty): Medium range, Defense and Offense, Okay cannon fodder with low survivability.

Point Cost: 200 a squad

They hold no particular specialty however, and are okay at all of those. Unlike other units.

18th Engineer Detachment

Description: Deployed alongside the 19th Assault Detachment, the 18th Engineer Detachment is utilized to construct small outposts, assault fortified positions and destroy mechanized units.

Utility: Low quality defense, high quality assault, base construction.

Point Cost: 500 a squad

33rd Conscript Detachment

A low paid, under-trained militia force generally used by the Advanced Security Division as recon units on the fringes of Coalition controlled space, they also accompany the Recruit Combat Division on low risk operations before they receive their training to become full fledged soldiers. Low paid, ill-equipped, low morale soldiers but are known to fight vigorously on the battlefield, known even to shadow trained soldiers with sheer vigor and force due to friendships forged in the untold hours of patrols. Generally used as cannon fodder with Tier 1 ammunition, not even worthy of civilian usage.

Utility: Cannon Fodder, low quality defense, low quality offense, medium range (WITH COVER).

Point Cost: 50 a squad

Elite Combat Response Team

Description: The elite arm of the Coalition's military. The ECRTs are utilized on high risk operations rarely accompanied by other units.

Utility: Medium and short range, building infiltration, stealth, sabotage.

Point Cost: 1000 a squad
[+] Legios Traitor Units
Legios Raiders

Description: Lightly equipped soldiers used to raid lightly defended bases and weakened squad. Dangerous in numbers.

Utility: Quick hit and run attacks on bases, sabotage, massing units.

Point Cost: 150

Legios Looters

Description: Armed looters recruited by the traitors to roam the deserts and kill any Coalition soldiers foolish enough to get lost on the planet.

Utility: Cannon fodder.

Point Cost: 50.

Legios Troopers

Description: Soldiers recruited from the vast supporters of the traitors, and given the best gear created from the foundries on the forge planets.

Utility: Medium Range, Assault and Defense, Unit Spam.

Point Cost: 200

Vanguard Traitor Legion

Description: The 39th Legion among the 50 Legions on the fringes of the universe. The 39th Legion followed Legios on his crusade to hold a sector of the galaxy for himself, against the Coalition. The Vanguard Legion formed in mass against the Coalition when they assaulted the Ethereal Sector for the first time.

Utility: Short Range, Assault.

Point Cost: 1000.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:23 pm

Bump for reasons.
I'm saving up for GIMP or Photoshop, so I can make the UI and sprites, which is a good first step into getting it all into the game.
In other news I realized that I may not have to learn GML to make the movement system of the units work. Since a variety of videos on test games made without it, which came out smooth and without problem. With some fuckery I may be able to make it work with a simple "Click to move" system. Hopefully.

In somewhat hopeful news I managed to make a combat system work, without having to force the player (And by extension, me) to do too much maths.
Taken hefty inspiration from Sunless Sea, Autumn War, and Universalis IV (To a degree).

The system would work like this:

When a battalion (Or any unit) contacts another unit the game will pause. Showing all units that are in combat range and battle-able. Fixing the problem of combat randomly occurring when the player may be doing something else.
The battle itself will be in real time, focusing on the player micro managing the squads of the battalion unit under their control over a grid.

Think of it like this:
You have a 10 by 10 grid of little squares occupied by pictures of your units (Odds are there'll be sprites for units in battle so it looks prettier), the same applies for the enemy. The battle UI would look something like this:
On the left: A large rectangle showing the grid, the bottom is divided into a stat screen.
In the middle. A small section on the top that shows the statistics of the battle. The rest is occupied by information such as range, terrain, morale, and things of the like (Suggestions?).
The right is the same as the left. With question makers occupying spots where there are enemy units you can see.
A shield will be on the top right of the image shows whether your squad is in cover or not.

The player (And enemy) can move his units about the grid, into cover and away from fire.

The shooting that units do whenever they feel like it is a percentile chance based off of the base stat to hit (10%), plus their shooting stat, plus/minus whatever squad buff/debuff, minus cover bonuses, plus a steady weapon bonus (A cover bonus for when you're in cover).

As an example, I'll show off two squads.

Standard riflemen:

+10%
+40%
+0%
-0% (Out in the open)
+5% (No ability bonus, but a cover position that provides a place to stabilize your rifle).
Equaling 55%

Gunner:
+10%
+30%
+5%
-0%
+20
Equaling 60%

Just a note, this is per soldier. Each squad contains a varying amount of soldiers, which equate to attacks in any other traditional turn based game. A soldier will fire a burst at an enemy unit (I think for the sake of simplicity, I may make the entire squad concentrate fire) along with his teammates. The idea being this adds a new layer to the game of complexity the player has to account for.
To compliment this, I'm thinking of adding jams (Your weapon might lock up in battle), broken morale, and things of the like. This may pave the way for an inventory system, and in a way a progression and level up system.
The level up system would probably be simple, as in you upgrade your commander (The guy leading the battalion, who may die or survive if the battle is lost.) to give upgrades to a certain stat among the entire battalion's squad. Meaning all conscript units would get a buff, but no one else if you upgraded them.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:26 am

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:Bump for reasons.
I'm saving up for GIMP or Photoshop, so I can make the UI and sprites, which is a good first step into getting it all into the game.
Photoshop's current versions are on a monthly subscription. If you can find CS4 or later Photoshop versions for sale, I do recommend getting it. Those are among the last non-subscription versions, and the UI is the same as in later versions. For everything that doesn't need a new feature, it will be enough as long as your OS runs it.

That, incidentally, is the reason for the sunscriptions. :) I've seen professional photographers using ancient versions of PS.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:17 pm

I may get that then, since I need to get the art out of the way if anything is gonna work out.

charlieMi

So Im making a game in GameMaker

Post by charlieMi » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:46 am

hello i am making a racing game and i am wondering if i have to add wheel colliders

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:34 pm

That depends on how in-depth you get. I've played some really cool racing games with hover cars.

Is it 2D? That's what Game Maker is usually for.

Phoenixwarrior141

Re: So Im making a game in GameMaker

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:03 pm

charlieMi wrote:hello i am making a racing game and i am wondering if i have to add wheel colliders
Probably not. But I'm no expert.

Anyways. Tool related question time (Note, I have pretty much no budget):

Which program would be good for creating a soundtrack? Preferably something somewhat easy to use, doesn't have to be all that powerful.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Synthfont is good if your familiar with midi. FL Studio is really good too. Mm, there's also LMMS, for Linux. It's similar to FL.

Or if you're a real man, you make your entire soundtrack in Audacity, using nothing but simple waves.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:27 pm

Because I have a budget of negative monies. It's probably gonna be Audacity.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:59 am

All stated above are free.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:37 pm

FL Studio is $100 I believe, or I'd have downloaded it already.
If it's not, I'm an idiot.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:13 am

You can pay, if you want. It's pretty usable for free.
If it's changed, LMMS is almost as powerful and completely free and open source.