Over Growth Fanfiction: The Divide

Anything else
Dmaned11123

Re: Over Growth Fanfiction: The Divide

Post by Dmaned11123 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:52 pm

Hey guys! Took the time to type up another few chapters. I get less and less free time as the semester goes on but I'm trying my hardest to find time to sit down and write more. Anyway enjoy!

Chapter 25
It hadn’t taken long for Lucky and Henry to run to a hill in view of the campsite. When it finally came into view they were both exhausted and sweating through their clothes. Lucky could hear Henry breathing hard, “Do you really think he’ll have gone back to the campsite?” Henry asked as they slowed to a walk.
“I think that he’ll have at least considered it, yes.” Lucky responded, “If we have any hope of finding him this is the place to look.”
They continued walking towards the camp. Lucky paused… something was strange about the campsite, but he couldn’t figure out what was amiss. Henry pointed above the campsite, “Look smoke! You were right Lucky he must’ve come here.”
They both started running towards the camp. When they got into the campsite they were both surprised to find it completely empty. Their confusion was added to when they heard the sounds coming from the opposite end of camp. Lucky couldn’t believe what he was seeing, Journey was getting attacked by an unarmed rabbit and a cat with a knife… And he was LOSING?! Journey had blood running down his fur in a few different places and was looked to be struggling to maintain his footing as the rabbit kept trying to sweep his legs from under him. Without thinking Lucky drew his dagger and charged down the hill yelling all the way down. His appearance distracted the pair long enough for Journey to land a solid blow to the rabbit’s chest and send it flying back. It hit the ground with a thud and didn’t get up.
The cat turned around just in time to see its companion hit the ground, “NOOOOOO” the cat screamed, “Rebecca!” The cat ran over to the rabbit and knelt down next to it.
The fight was obviously over when the cat dropped her dagger and started checking the rabbit for broken bones.
Lucky and Henry, whom had just caught up, approached Journey. “I didn’t mean the things I said and I’ll explain more later but first things first…” Lucky pointed at the odd pair of attackers, “Who are they and what happened?”
They all started walking over to the two, “I pulled that rabbit away from camp to ask her what she was doing there and she kicked me in the chest and called her friend.” Journey paused, “At first I wasn’t trying to hurt them but when it got to the point where I couldn’t get away…”
Lucky nodded, “How hard did you hit her?”
They were almost to the pair and the cat was starting to unsheathe her dagger, “Drop it now unless you want you and your friend to die.” Journey growled. The cat quickly complied and started to cry, “Pretty hard, I didn’t know how long she’d be distracted.”
Lucky turned to the cat, “Who are you and why did you attack my friend?”
The cat was caught off guard, “You’re… friends with… a wolf?” she said through her tears. She took a moment to stop herself from crying anymore, “I’m Alex and this is Rebecca.” she motioned to the rabbit.
“Why did you attack him?” Lucky repeated.
“He dragged her off! He was going to kill her and eat her!” she yelled at Lucky, starting to tear up again.
“Journey said he only wanted to ask her a few questions.” Lucky said, completely understanding why Rebecca and Alex had jumped to their conclusion. Lucky knelt down next to Alex, “Let me have a look at her. I just want to make sure she’s ok. Is that okay?” Lucky asked with caution.
Alex nodded and slid over. Lucky and Henry checked the rabbit for injuries. They found areas that were bruising or going to bruise heavily, but surprisingly, no broken ribs or other bones and no deep wounds. Lucky stood up, “Well I’ll be damned, she’s mostly unharmed with respect to the hit she took. She should be badly injured or dead but she’s barley got a scratch.” he turned to Alex, “She should be fine, she just hit her head and got knocked unconscious. Do you live around here?”
Alex frowned, “No… we have no home left to go to…” she looked down at the ground.
It was Journey who spoke next, “Well we can stay here until she wakes up if you like?”
Alex looked at the wolf. Lucky could tell what she was thinking. She never thought that she’d ever have a friendly conversation with a wolf. He looked toward the setting sun and remembered back to a time when he’d had the same experience.
“Um… I suppose that wouldn’t be a problem…”

Chapter 26
Journey had trouble understanding how Lucky couldn’t have meant the things he’d said. Apparently, as Lucky and Henry explained, when rabbits got emotional they tended to say stupid shit that wasn’t necessarily true… or at least that’s what Journey got out of the explanation. Wolves were so much easier to understand… if they hated you they let you know it, if they were your friend they acted like it, no emotions or drama included. Other creatures were so confusing.
Journey looked at the campfire radiating heat and light onto the ground immediately surrounding it. He watched the cat still holding vigil over her friend. The day had been very strange to say the very least, and it would have ended differently had Lucky and Henry not shown up. His wounds had been minor but he had been tiring near the end of the fight. He wouldn’t have lasted another ten minutes.
He sighed, “So what’s your story?” he asked the cat.
She looked up at him silent for a moment then spoke, “I used to be the daughter of a wealthy merchant. On our last stop before we were to head back home we went to the rabbit city of Creale to sell our wares. My father however liked to gamble and before he knew it he had lost more money than we had on us… when he told the people he’d lost to that he couldn’t pay his full debt they killed him. About a week after that Rebecca found me starving to death and saved my life. We’ve been friends ever sense.”
The story wasn’t very dissimilar to his own. Journey motioned to the rabbit lying next to her, “What about her?”
Alex frowned at the question, “Despite being friends for so long she’s never told me about what happened to her family. She’s hinted that they’re dead but hasn’t ever told me how or why they died. Everyone has demons, some, like hers, are too painful to be let out of their box.” She paused for a moment, “What about your story?”
Journey smiled and motioned over to Lucky who was quietly sleeping next to the fire, “That stupid rabbit decided that he wanted to save a half dead wolf that he found lying face down in the dirt. He’s the reason I’m still alive right now and also the reason that I question whether or not I’ll ever be able to eat a rabbit again.” He smiled after his last statement. It was true, Journey didn’t think he’d ever be able to eat another rabbit, although the other species he could probably still manage.
Alex nodded slowly, “That is pretty stupid… So how did you get to be half dead anyway?”
The question caught Journey off guard. He hadn’t even told Lucky what had happened, partially because he’d never asked, but also because he didn’t want to look back at his past. He sat there silent for a moment before he started talking quietly, “My mother and father were killed shortly after my birth. I was told that there was a great fire in the forest and that they had been trapped in the flames. I never knew them. I was raised by the pack though, they fed me, comforted me, and taught me how to hunt and how to fight. Because I had no father to take the place of, I became the pack Omega. I would do the things that the Alphas and the Betas refused to do and they were free to give me more chores as they saw fit. I had a few friends and life was good. But I got ambitious… I wanted to be more than just an Omega and I challenged our pack leader Ferix for a new position. Ferix had always thought I was a waste of the pack’s resources and didn’t even try to hide his feelings about me. Ferix saw his opportunity to get rid of me and gave me an ultimatum; if I could best him in a fight then I could take his position as an Alpha male and pack leader, but it would be a fight to the death. I was young and ambitious, the rest of the pack urged me to not accept the challenge because they knew I was being baited into a trap. I stupidly ignored them and as Ferix toyed with me and slowly made me loose more and more blood… they were forced to watch. They could do nothing to save me. At the end of the fight when my wounds were too great to continue, Ferix walked up to me and told me that he wouldn’t degrade himself by killing me quickly. He told me that he wanted to know that I had suffered an Omega’s death.” Journey felt hot tears rolling down his face as he continued, “He told me that I was no longer a part of the pack and that he’d give me until the next morning to get out of pack lands. After which I’d be hunted down by the pack that I had forsaken by challenging him. He knew that I would die of my wounds… but I didn’t… because of one stupid rabbit who decided that his own life was less important than that of an outcast wolf.”
Journey gazed into the crackling fire and imagined a world where he’d never challenged Ferix… given an option between the two, it wasn’t the world he would chose to live in.

Dmaned11123

Post by Dmaned11123 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:17 pm

Yes Journey time guys! (That was a pun btw)
Enjoy reading this because I enjoyed writing it!

Chapter 27
Death was calming. It took all of your worldly pain and troubles away and brought you to a state of unity with the rest of the universe. Rebecca’s pains, both emotional and physical, had evaporated when her head had struck the ground and she knew somewhere deep within herself that she had lost. Her body accepted the fact that her defeat by the wolf, could only end with her own death. Therefore, she was shocked when she started to feel pain again.
When she slowly opened her eyes she saw that Alex had fallen asleep keeping watch over her. She was happy that she had a friend like Alex. Rebecca slowly but painfully sat up so as not to disturb her friends sleep and looked around the camp. It was morning and the sun hung in the sky just above the horizon and the fire was nothing more than hot coals and half burnt branches.
Had she been paying more attention she would have heard the approaching footsteps and not been caught completely by surprise when a wolf walked out from behind one of the tents. Everything came flooding back to her at that moment and she launched her still aching body at the wolf in an attempt to take it by surprise. It defiantly worked as she saw the wolf’s total confusion at being knocked back and tangled in the tent. As the wolf struggle to free itself, Rebecca looked for anything she could use as a weapon and grabbed a vegetable knife sitting next to one of the closer tents. She was about to start stabbing into the tangled mass of tent and wolf when she heard Alex scream. She turned around ready to face whatever enemy had caused Alex to scream but stopped in confusion when she was confronted with no enemy. Alex ran towards her and quickly knocked the knife out of her hand.
“What are you doing?!” She yelled at Rebecca.
Now Rebecca was really confused, “The wolf!” she pointed at the wolf who was slowly untangling himself from the remains of the tent.
“Yes the wolf!” Alex responded, “You didn’t win the first fight how do you expect to win the second!” Alex hugged Rebecca, “Stop getting yourself into stupid situations please. If that wolf had had natural intentions, you’d be dead right now. Now apologize!”
Rebecca was baffled at the last demand, “What! It’s a goddamned wolf!? Why should I have to apologize?!”
She could hear the wolf finally getting untangled from the tent, “Maybe because you made me drop me and Alex’s breakfast.”
She turned around to see the wolf picking up a few fish off of the ground. Just as she was starting to get a grip on the situation she heard a voice behind her, “My tent! What happened!?” She turned around to see two rabbits jogging into the camp.
Rebecca had had enough. She was irritated beyond measure and her voice carried no trace of trying to hide that fact, “OK EVERYONE STOP!” The two rabbits stopped in their tracks, “Can someone explain to me why I’m having a conversation with a wolf and two rabbits who I don’t know? Then please continue explaining why I need to apologize to a wolf!”
One of the rabbits approached her hand extended, “My name is Lucky, the wolf is Journey, and that’s Henry. I’m sure you’re confused but before I explain anymore can we start eating because I’m half starved?”
It took a while for Rebecca to catch up on recent events. Apparently the wolf was friendly and really did just want to ask her a question. The one rabbit, Lucky, was friends with the wolf and the other rabbit had met him a few days prior. And apparently, the entire group (excluding herself) had already gotten acquainted with each other. Rebecca was still skeptical about a wolf that didn’t eat rabbits, but it helped to know that he hadn’t eaten Lucky in the time they’d known each other.
“So you weren’t going to kill me?” she asked for the third time.
“No, I just wanted to ask you why you were in our camp and make sure that you weren’t bandits or thieves.” Journey repeated.
Alex giggled slightly, “Well we’re not bandits.”
Journey laughed, “New start remember. You’re not thieves out here… not yet anyway.” He jokingly gave her a serious look.
“Oh bite me!” She laughed as well, “Oh wait, that’s right you’re a vegetarian wolf!”
“Fish is meat.” He responded with a smirk.
“Sure keep telling yourself that.” She smiled as she took another bite of the carrot she was holding.
Rebecca watched them as they continued to debate the meaning of the word vegetarian. Alex was socializing better with this wolf than she had with anyone else besides herself. Was it because Alex finally had someone to talk to that she knew she wasn’t eventually going to rob? Maybe it was the irony of having a conversation with something that should want to chew on your insides that had brought her out of her shell. Or maybe not… maybe it was just Alex adjusting.
Only time would tell.

Chapter 28
Lucky was happy that everything hadn’t fallen apart when Rebecca had woken up. She had taken the situation with a grain of salt despite initially losing her cool and attacking Journey. But they’d all taken a day to get to know one another and to let Rebecca recover. In fact everyone was getting along quite well. He and Rebecca had become friends quickly and talked about their lives and experiences. Rebecca taught him how to pickpocket and how to conceal his dagger while Lucky had taken Rebecca out and taught her the basics of foraging for food. Journey and Alex were always talking to one another, each attempting to outwit the other while doing various activities. Journey had attempted to teach the cat how to catch frogs only to lose his balance and fall face first into the mud before he had succeeded in catching everything. This, of course, invoked an uproarious laugh from Alex proceeded by a variety of mud and frog based jokes for the rest of the day.
Henry had headed back to the village to make sure that everything had been settled with the murderous dog. He had left right before the sun had set. Everyone else had hunkered down for the night and all slept well that because everyone was tired from the day’s activities.
When Lucky woke he felt strange. He knew something was wrong as soon as he opened his eyes and the sky was still filled with stars. He heard the crackling of a fire behind him and quickly sat up and spun around to confront whomever had woken him from his sleep. There, standing next to the fire was a cloaked figure with arms stretched out over the fire. The stranger’s size was disproportional to anything Lucky had seen. It was shorter than a dog, yet larger than any cat. Its arms were covered in black fur and it had the bushiest tail that Lucky had ever seen. The Figure stood motionless over the burning fire warming itself until its arms started to glow orange. Lucky found himself unable to yell for everyone to wake up. They were all still sleeping, completely unaware of the strange creature that had invaded their camp.
After he had finished warming himself, the stranger spoke to Lucky as if he’d been nonchalantly putting it off ever sense Lucky had awoken. “You are the first in a long time…” the creature said with a quiet deep voice, “a very long time…”
Lucky, still unable to respond, felt himself being forced to stand.
“After so many generations we forget what we are… why we are here…” the creature continued still staring into the fire so that Lucky could not see his face, “The seer hasn’t seen anyone for so long we thought the ability had been lost. But one night she saw you knelt over a dying wolf and you gave pity… you showed your gift… and you proved the council to be wrong about your kind. Too many years has passed sense your kind has shown this gift…” The creature continued staring at the fire, “So many that I needed to see with my own eyes. And here I stand as two rabbits, a cat, and a wolf sleep with not even a wisp of ill intent in the back of their minds.”
The creature took a step forward and stood in the fire, “Head west until you arrive at the forest where your friend use to call home. Find and take the key from he who possess it and I will talk to you again.” With his final statement he turned his face toward Lucky. Lucky saw the fur turning orange and burning away. The creature’s curious, orange-brown eyes began to melt away in the heat of the fire.
Lucky attempted to scream at the horror of the sight and couldn’t. He bolted awake to find himself screaming in horror. The creature was gone… or maybe he had never been there… but that couldn’t erase the memory of what the creature’s burning flesh had looked like.

ElvenMetellus

Post by ElvenMetellus » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:00 am

nice :)

Dmaned11123

Post by Dmaned11123 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:10 pm

So guys,

Finals week is over. I'm incredibly happy.

However, after reading over the story I've decided that it doesn't actually sound like fan fiction anymore as I haven't really referenced the either of the games in any detail.
On that note I don't think that the story belongs on this forum out of respect for the Wolfire team. If anyone disagrees message me and I'll consider putting more posts up for it.

Sorry guys,

Dmaned11123

P.s. I'm still prolly going to continue the story and I like your idea for a character rodeje25

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:50 pm

Dmaned11123 wrote:So guys,

Finals week is over. I'm incredibly happy.

However, after reading over the story I've decided that it doesn't actually sound like fan fiction anymore as I haven't really referenced the either of the games in any detail.
On that note I don't think that the story belongs on this forum out of respect for the Wolfire team. If anyone disagrees message me and I'll consider putting more posts up for it.

Sorry guys,

Dmaned11123

P.s. I'm still prolly going to continue the story and I like your idea for a character rodeje25
you don't have to stop making this! this is the randomness section of the forums: anything can be posted here! (except spam) please continue putting more posts up, i really like the story!

Dmaned11123

Post by Dmaned11123 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted to stop back for the first time in a long time and tell you that I appreciate the 9000+ views my unfinished story has gotten. I can say with near certainty that this story will never be finished in the form that it currently stands. However, I am proud to say that I am now a published author. The story that I wrote is a sci-fi novel that draws a lot of parallels with this story. I will leave a link to it below if anyone wants to check it out as it will be free in eBook format from Dec 10th 2018 to Dec 14th 2018.

Again thanks for all the support over the last three years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L63D589/re ... ref=plSrch