OpenGL and DirectX Simultaneously?

Anything else
09jlardinois

OpenGL and DirectX Simultaneously?

Post by 09jlardinois » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:51 pm

Hello, Developer,

I read your blog post on OpenGL vs. DirectX, and you've convinced me to go with OpenGL (mostly). But what I would really prefer is to use both (I don't mind doing the work).

I have a decade of programming under my belt, but never graphics programming, so I had a question about that --

With most programming, it's easy to detect hardware or software and dynamically choose which code to run accordingly.

Is this possible with graphics APIs as well? Could I make a single game that dynamically adjusts to whether the user has OpenGL or DirectX?

Or is it more stable to just make two separate engines? If that's the case, then I'll go with OpenGL first, and provide Xbox support later.

Or, maybe never, honestly. The game I hope to make might be far too complicated for a controller scheme. It may make the game very awkward to play. This one's going to be a key-hog!

David
Project Leader

Re: OpenGL and DirectX Simultaneously?

Post by David » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:03 pm

Many games create rendering paths that support multiple APIs, including OpenGL, DirectX, Vulkan, and various console APIs, and that is the best way to do it if you have the time and resources.