I seek attention

Anything else
nerodx
confused couch potato

Re: I seek attention

Post by nerodx » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:54 pm

Fair enough, I wasn't really sure if the others had a part in it or if it was just him producing.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Well, you see, on the albums all instruments and vocals are done by Trent Reznor, i.e. Nine Inch Nails is Trent Reznor except for live performances for which he employs the assistance of live band members. All artistic input and performance on the material is done by Trent Reznor.

nerodx
confused couch potato

Post by nerodx » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:04 pm

Oh really? Wow I never knew that, lol I feel smart now. Makes sense though, I tend to like bands like that. Or people.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:23 pm

Yeah there's a few other music projects that follow the same idea, e.g. The Rocket Summer (Bryce Avary) and Arsis (James Malone).

The three bands play REALLY different music though.
Nine Inch Nails is like...industrial music.
The Rocket Summer is pretty much pop rock.
Arsis is melodic death metal. OH YEAH MOTHERFUCKER!

Gifted

Post by Gifted » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:01 pm

It's true, I do buy cd's I love. I have Silversteins "Discovering the Waterfront," Anberlin's "Never Take Friendship Personal," "Cities," and "New Surrender," TDWP's "plagues," ADTR's "For Those Who Have Heart," and Mayday Parade's "A Lesson In Romantics." I think I have a few others too, just can't think of them off the top of my head. :P

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:15 pm

That's funny, I downloaded "Discovering The Waterfront" two hours ago, I downloaded "Plagues" about a week ago, and I downloaded "A Lesson In Romantics" just over 4 months ago.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Ren...I'm totally lost now...are you still gay Ren?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:32 am

:lol:
I love this. This is epic.
Tops amusement.
Keep going! =D

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:49 am

Yes, I'm still him, or I'm still me should I say. I'm just making clashing posts on both accounts to continue being in character and confuse people.

Tonjevic

Post by Tonjevic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:58 am

I just noticed something while reading through this thread.

While I hate to go back to all the bullshit mutual ego-fellatio, I thought it was rather ironic that Renegade_Turner posted this on the first page:
Renegade_Turner wrote:If you're going to imitate me, at least do it in proper grammar like I do.
Yes indeed Ren, let's all do it in proper grammar like you do. Tops.

(I'd also just like to point out that anyone who goes to the effort of attaching colour and formatting tags to all their posts for the sake of differentiation is an attention whore. That's just the way it is. And yes, it does get up my nose a bit.)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:16 am

O NO U EKSPOZED ME!!! ):
My, what a rather angry man. lol
Purple really does force something up people's butts, doesn't it?
I wonder how I can make people I've never even acknowledged the presence of so upset.
*Shrugs*
But yes, adding purple and bold to my posts makes me an attention whore.
Colouring in pictures makes me an attention whore too.
Having a purple t-shirt and having purple font on MSN, Yahoo and the forums makes me homosexual too.
Seriously, all I have to do is press CTRL + V at the start of every post.
I'm sweating buckets from all this "effort".

Tonjevic

Post by Tonjevic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:49 am

You misjudge me. I am not angry. Merely irritated.

It's not the purple; in fact, purple is my favourite part of the spectrum. It's just the presence of any colour in this medium of communication. While I'm not a conformist, and in that vein I don't argue to stifle individuality, I think it's a rather meretricious thing to go colouring in your text while everyone else does not.
Traditionally such manipulations of text type or certain tags endemic to certain users denote status within a bulletin-board style forum like this one. In saying this, one must examine the disparity between the expectation and the actuality. In using purple, you say, "I'm somehow special. I deserve extra attention." where the reality is that the community hasn't conferred any such status. Again, I must stress that I'm usually unconcerned about how people conduct themselves but in this case, it smacks of arrogance.

As to the issue of effort, this notion is not one to be taken in the traditional sense. The effort is not a bunch of physical or mental exertion directed towards an end result, but it is a momentary extra step -- an impediment to convenience, if you will -- that has psychological significance. By taking this additional action you demonstrate that you are willing, to demonstrate your need to be seen or heard to, to take an action that is abnormal and less convenient than the typical procedure.
Ordinarily, this would be admirable, because it would yield something valuable and of interest to other people (hence their interest in you) but the result in this case is hollow. Purple text is of no value in making what you write more entertaining, interesting or thought-provoking and the odd snarky, sarcastic comment notwithstanding, you haven't really demonstrated much in the way of value in your writing, insofar as I have examined it (not very, I must admit).

In any other forum, as in MSN, or as in the colour of your shirt, where variation is necessary, unavoidable or more typical, I have no problem with your use of purple. Here, however, individual posts need no further identification beyond the username and avatar next to them, or their content, and to consistently (and I must say vainly) tizzy them up says to me that you consider yourself to be better or to have more of a right to do so. In a social environment where equality is highly valued, it's only to be expected that this kind of flamboyancy provokes some reaction amongst various people.

I will not delude myself in hoping that this will have any impact on you whatsoever -- it won't. If anything it will only strengthen your stubborn resolve to display your colour defiantly. But that was not my aim - it was merely to explain my opinion.

So now you know why it irritates me. I'm not angry, nor upset. I'm not trolling, but I am presenting my opinion. It irritates me.

While I, like the majority of the other people on this board will likely acclimatise to your silliness, it at the moment annoys me.

Gifted

Post by Gifted » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:11 am

By taking this additional action you demonstrate that you are willing, to demonstrate your need to be seen or heard to, to take an action that is abnormal and less convenient than the typical procedure.
This sentence is a fun read!

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:11 am

Tonjevic wrote:You misjudge me. I am not angry. Merely irritated.

It's not the purple; in fact, purple is my favourite part of the spectrum. It's just the presence of any colour in this medium of communication. While I'm not a conformist, and in that vein I don't argue to stifle individuality, I think it's a rather meretricious thing to go colouring in your text while everyone else does not.
Traditionally such manipulations of text type or certain tags endemic to certain users denote status within a bulletin-board style forum like this one. In saying this, one must examine the disparity between the expectation and the actuality. In using purple, you say, "I'm somehow special. I deserve extra attention." where the reality is that the community hasn't conferred any such status. Again, I must stress that I'm usually unconcerned about how people conduct themselves but in this case, it smacks of arrogance.

As to the issue of effort, this notion is not one to be taken in the traditional sense. The effort is not a bunch of physical or mental exertion directed towards an end result, but it is a momentary extra step -- an impediment to convenience, if you will -- that has psychological significance. By taking this additional action you demonstrate that you are willing, to demonstrate your need to be seen or heard to, to take an action that is abnormal and less convenient than the typical procedure.
Ordinarily, this would be admirable, because it would yield something valuable and of interest to other people (hence their interest in you) but the result in this case is hollow. Purple text is of no value in making what you write more entertaining, interesting or thought-provoking and the odd snarky, sarcastic comment notwithstanding, you haven't really demonstrated much in the way of value in your writing, insofar as I have examined it (not very, I must admit).

In any other forum, as in MSN, or as in the colour of your shirt, where variation is necessary, unavoidable or more typical, I have no problem with your use of purple. Here, however, individual posts need no further identification beyond the username and avatar next to them, or their content, and to consistently (and I must say vainly) tizzy them up says to me that you consider yourself to be better or to have more of a right to do so. In a social environment where equality is highly valued, it's only to be expected that this kind of flamboyancy provokes some reaction amongst various people.

I will not delude myself in hoping that this will have any impact on you whatsoever -- it won't. If anything it will only strengthen your stubborn resolve to display your colour defiantly. But that was not my aim - it was merely to explain my opinion.

So now you know why it irritates me. I'm not angry, nor upset. I'm not trolling, but I am presenting my opinion. It irritates me.

While I, like the majority of the other people on this board will likely acclimatise to your silliness, it at the moment annoys me.
wow, I didnt even read the post, cuz it was too long, but I just have to *clap hands*
nice timing renegade, now I had to add a quote

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:33 am

I actually read it. It's pretty insightful.