Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: paranormal happenings

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:41 am

il beat ur mum wit stone

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:43 am

Too bad she wont feel anything because shes already stoned.

Uberpwn_w00t

Post by Uberpwn_w00t » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:51 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Anything which does not have a scientific explanation doesn't really warrant much belief. I'm expected to believe in things like ghosts because I can't disprove them scientifically? lolz. Still don't believe in so-called paranormal phenomena.
You're missing the point. What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't have to be 'ghosts' or 'spirits', or any other unofficial explanation people have given these things over time. Jumping to conclusions and identifying these happenings as the deceased communicating from the dead is as stupid as ancient religions identifying rain as god pissing. There is proof of these happenings (the ones that aren't hoaxes, anyway), there just isn't an official explanation. For all we know, they could be mass hallucinations caused by some kind of undetectable virus. It doesn't matter.

I will now break down, analyze, and refute your comment. I'm not letting you live this down. C:

"Anything which does not have a scientific explanation doesn't really warrant much belief."
I'm sorry, but this is just stupid. Are you telling me that if something happened, and millions of people witnessed it, but nobody knew what it was, and it didn't have a scientific explanation, you would deny that it ever happened, and refuse to acknowledge it's existence? If something doesn't have an explanation, it doesn't have an explanation. That doesn't mean it didn't happen. More importantly, it doesn't mean it can't be explained.

"I'm expected to believe in things like ghosts because I can't disprove them scientifically?"
No. No you're not. Like I said earlier, ghosts are a name given to these things by people who don't have a better explanation. You can disprove ghosts as an explanation all you want. The idea that ghosts exist, or that ghosts cause these phenomena, goes against many things we know about the world.

However, one would at least expect you to acknowledge these phenomena, rather than simply denying their existence. You're not going to get very far scientifically explaining something, if you're not willing to acknowledge the existence of the thing you want to explain.

"Still don't believe in so-called paranormal phenomena."
So be it. Once again, 'paranormal' is just a classifying word. What you call these phenomena is irrelevant, but to ignore them all together is foolish.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:12 pm

Uberpwn_w00t wrote:"Anything which does not have a scientific explanation doesn't really warrant much belief."
I'm sorry, but this is just stupid. Are you telling me that if something happened, and millions of people witnessed it, but nobody knew what it was, and it didn't have a scientific explanation, you would deny that it ever happened, and refuse to acknowledge it's existence? If something doesn't have an explanation, it doesn't have an explanation. That doesn't mean it didn't happen. More importantly, it doesn't mean it can't be explained.
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that I think there's a scientific explanation for everything which happens in the universe. Things don't just happen without an explanation. We might not be able to explain them when they first happen, because how would it be possible to explain something you've never seen before? You, Sir, are missing the point.
Uberpwn_w00t wrote:So be it. Once again, 'paranormal' is just a classifying word. What you call these phenomena is irrelevant, but to ignore them all together is foolish.
I meant paranormal phenomena in the conventional sense of the world, as in what this thread was started to discuss, e.g. ghosts, spectres, poltergeists, spirits, etc.

Also, it's generally "altogether".

What type of unexplainable phenomena are you talking about, anyway?

Uberpwn_w00t

Post by Uberpwn_w00t » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:11 am

Renegade_Turner wrote: What type of unexplainable phenomena are you talking about, anyway?
These are things I've experienced, taken from an earlier post:
Uberpwn_w00t wrote:Every day you'd come to expect the usual thumping and bumping of the walls and floors, random chills/cold spots in the house, RC cars zooming about by their own accord, TVs and radios turning on and off/switching channels (that actually gets pretty annoying), doors/windows opening/closing, etc.

But perhaps the most disturbing of the 'normal' occurrences was the nightly walking of the bodiless human shadows up and down the halls. This happened every night, without fail.

- Hordes of flies materializing out of the walls
- Cans being smacked across the room by invisible forces
- Could-have-been house fires caused by seemingly impossible circumstances (and in strange patterns)
- Giant, glowing, pale, grimacing faces appearing in doorways

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:06 am

I believe that's called being clinically insane. Or on drugs. Or both.

Uberpwn_w00t

Post by Uberpwn_w00t » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:19 pm

I suppose so.

Still doesn't explain how multiple people can have the same hallucinations at the same time. :\

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:46 pm

In the words of Chris Rock, WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO CRAZY?

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:28 pm

and at this point im referring you all back to the incident i mentioned in...i believe it was randomness...about my mothers incident with the phantom pissed off oija board ghost

for those who dont know it, i will tell you about it again soon, but for now, i must go and dance on a grave or two, on with the hats people, whos coming with me????

oh and whos graves are we dancing on????

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:50 am

ive never had anything paranormal happen to me ... and ive been in my fair share of abandoned houses and creepy places ...

I kinda envy people that do though ... i imagine its an experience that sticks with you for the rest of your life ...

the closest thing i could call paranormal was a shadow passing by a window in an abandoned house ... but upon further investigation, it turned out to be just some kid walking around the house ...

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:35 am

you poor poor man with a boring boring life

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:15 pm

hardly boring ;) ... just not paranormal ...

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:36 pm

Eh. I believe that weird stuff can happen but I don't think it's ghosts. If dead people wandered around, we'd notice considering HOW MANY DEAD PEOPLE THERE ARE.

Apart from that my only contribution is IF THERE'S SOMETHING WEIRD IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD

WHO YOU GONNA CALL?

Etc.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:48 pm

I just watched ghostbusters yesterday. the first one yep I'll know to call them if an invisible dude's sleeping in my bed. I think if people want to believe in ghosts they can bypass the number of dead people there are and say that it takes a different kind of person dying in a different way in order for them to come back as ghosts, and this will write off pretty much everything.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:59 am

I was lying in bed and dozed off. Woke up to see a large, silouhtetted bird smash into my pillow. Jumped out of bed and turned to look. There was nothing there except a penny. That sounds paranormal, right? I still have the penny...