Download Blocker

Anything else
tokage

Re: Download Blocker

Post by tokage » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:46 am

You know, this kind of thread is the prime example, why this sort of child protection software is useless. You just can't prevent the user to ask questions on forums and getting the necessary knowledge to circumvent the protection, unless the protection program uses restrictive white lists for the sites you are allowed to visit. And when you start white listing, meaning allowing only certain URL and blocking everyhing else, internet access really get's meaningless, so that is not really an option.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 am

If they change the password Sandurz, you can try a common back-up password that is built in to a bunch of programs of the like in case m&d are forgetful: ~frontdoor

Probably won't work, but worth a shot if they get smart and switcheroo the password.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 am

tokage wrote:You know, this kind of thread is the prime example, why this sort of child protection software is useless. You just can't prevent the user to ask questions on forums and getting the necessary knowledge to circumvent the protection, unless the protection program uses restrictive white lists for the sites you are allowed to visit. And when you start white listing, meaning allowing only certain URL and blocking everyhing else, internet access really get's meaningless, so that is not really an option.
I agree, the software doesn't work. What his parents should have done, and what I intend to do in the future, is to not allow them to have a computer in their own room. Headphones only to keep the noise down, the monitor set up against a wall, in a room where the parents/the rest of the family spend lots of time.

Even if a blocker works, the parents won't know what their child wants to do, and the child has no reason to tell them that. That can be quite harmful. Having the computer set up so the parents can see what she does solves that problem, and the child might actually ask what she's allowed to do.

Also, no full admin rights (program installation and some other rights would come once the kid understands enough English, or the concept of malware), or access to the router password, or to the parents' personal files.

Eagle0600
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Inner Rim, Orion Arm, Milky-Way, Universe

Post by Eagle0600 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:07 am

I would like to say right now that I do not condone this. At all.

BTW, what is your parents' number? Either will do.

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:00 pm

Ah... remembers me of the good 'ol times. Times when I was 12 years old and administrator of our entire home network... and 'unofficial' admin at school. Security can't stop me. :twisted:

Anyway, I think you should try to convince your parents that downloading is essential to your success in life, rather then bypassing the security.
Offtopic: Gotta agree, the see-if-I-can-beat-the-system method is a lot more fun, though. :mrgreen:

- Black
Television is more interesting than people. If it were not, we should have people standing in the corners of our rooms.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:20 pm

Endoperez wrote:I agree, the software doesn't work. What his parents should have done, and what I intend to do in the future, is to not allow them to have a computer in their own room. Headphones only to keep the noise down, the monitor set up against a wall, in a room where the parents/the rest of the family spend lots of time.

Even if a blocker works, the parents won't know what their child wants to do, and the child has no reason to tell them that. That can be quite harmful. Having the computer set up so the parents can see what she does solves that problem, and the child might actually ask what she's allowed to do.

Also, no full admin rights (program installation and some other rights would come once the kid understands enough English, or the concept of malware), or access to the router password, or to the parents' personal files.
It's in our basement/family room, right up against the wall. 8)
Meaning at night, I do my comp shenanigans.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:46 pm

You see, what they should have done was to install a silent screen capture and keylogger software that would log all actions on the computer. Much harder to get around than those internet blockers. :D
Untadaike wrote:If they change the password Sandurz, you can try a common back-up password that is built in to a bunch of programs of the like in case m&d are forgetful: ~frontdoor
I seriously doubt that Windows would have a back-up password. That completely nullifies the point of a password in the first place.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:58 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:You see, what they should have done was to install a silent screen capture and keylogger software that would log all actions on the computer. Much harder to get around than those internet blockers. :D
Fortunately they aren't, ahh, computer literate.