Re: Graaahhhhh can't make up my mind

Post by Freshbite » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:58 pm

That sounds really interesting.
Make sure to create a Blog about it so that we can follow it's development :D

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:03 pm

Freshbite wrote:That sounds really interesting.
Thanks! I put a lot of thought into most of the things I do to make sure that I'm able to set them apart. The problem is that I don't often have the dedication to put them into execution. I'm planning on changing that much, though. :D
Make sure to create a Blog about it so that we can follow it's development :D
Oh, I'll be sure to. I need a log of all the things I've done, too, ya know. :lol:

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Be sure to post a link when you've set something up. 8)

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Freshbite wrote:Be sure to post a link when you've set something up. 8)
I'll set something up when I have something to tell. :lol:

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:37 pm

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

Endorgan

Post by Endorgan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:13 pm

Well at least make it compatible with Crossover please! :)

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Endorgan wrote:Well at least make it compatible with Crossover please! :)
God, I can only hope it is. We'll have to see. I don't know any PC games that use XNA currently. Most people use it for the Xbox Live compatibility. If I find one, I'll have you test it in Crossover just to give us an idea of what'll happen though. :D

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:18 pm

Update:

I just finished the first in a series of platformer tutorials.

This is really hard. Believe it or not, it's because it's too simple. My brain doesn't think that way. It thinks in a more complex manner. I can't tell what to do because I keep wanting to make it more difficult. I just don't understand how certain things work without something else more complicated as a median, BUT THEY DO!

In any case, I might try the basic XNA 3D tutorial and see if I can wrap my head around it better (screw all of you and your content pipelines, I will not be stopped by something so production phase :lol:).

In any case, just wanted to tell you all that I'm having issues understanding some of it and that once it makes sense in my head (how the hell are some of these ints, based on direction, affecting anything?!), I'll get started on real work.

EDIT: The ints are confusing because most (all) directional movement I've used before dealt with rotation, changes in x and y positions, and not collision detection, per say, but a cut off after it reached a certain point. I'm not used to the sprite sheets and changing directions and stuff haha. Well...that and the fact that they're just too simple. -_-'

EDIT2: I know what you're all going to say. Something along the lines of "You're an idiot" or "You think that now" but the point isn't what it is. The point is that it just doesn't add up in my head. I don't think "x + y = z" when I'm looking at what I just programmed. I think x + y + ___ = z." What goes in the blank? Hell if I know, just feels like something should be there.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Update: I've decided what I'm going to do now.

Seeing as even though I can create things in C#, I still have no clue how things work (it still does not add up in my head, even after scanning the code over and over @_@), I'm going to go back to the basics, yet again (what is this, the fourth time?), and see what it is I wasn't paying attention to. In other time spent, I'll be working on graphics and will get a blog up with updates on how I'm doing.

I also may end up doing a game engine from scratch. Not because there isn't something that exists that I could probably use, but because it'll give me a better grasp on the language itself, rather than my current grasp on game-related functions. That and it'll make for more familiarity, flexibility, and complexity with it when it's completed.

Anyways, yeah, just thought I'd keep you all updated. At this rate, it'll take forever, seeing as I've done a bunch of studying in programming languages, but when it comes to the game programming, I just don't get the logic, but I'm going to get there eventually. At least I can create non-game apps, right? That's always progress. :lol:

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Last update:

Got a blog set up. Here's the link. http://brootalgames.blogspot.com/

Currently, I've decided I'm going to take a tutorial for a 3D platformer in Unity and see if I can grasp it better. I know you all think I'm hopeless by now, but I think I know what I'm doing. We'll see when I'm done.

All notable progress will be posted in the blog(s) and I hope you guys follow. :D

Peace!
Last edited by Blorx on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:52 pm

I really, really, really, recommend Flash for the game. It is extremely easy to learn comparably to anything in C++, and there are tons of pre-built physics engines you can use.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:56 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:I really, really, really, recommend Flash for the game. It is extremely easy to learn comparably to anything in C++, and there are tons of pre-built physics engines you can use.
Lol, as does everyone. I was considering it.

I'm really disappointed in myself, honestly. I've spent a lot of spare time learning the basics of C++ and C# and now, I come to do the game development stuff and I just don't get it.

Anyways, I probably will do the game in Flash. It's probably for the better. Plus Kongregate is always a good idea for hosting. I just need to get a hold of Flash Studio again.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:00 pm

FlashStudio? I've only heard of Adobe Flash and FlashDevelop. It's honestly useless trying to develop a flash game without the GUI for drawing and animating. You might try f, though. It's the same engine that runs that jumping game on rooftops that I can't remember the name of.

Edit:
Engine is Flixel
Game is Canabalt.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:02 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:FlashStudio? I've only heard of Adobe Flash and FlashDevelop. It's honestly useless trying to develop a flash game without the GUI for drawing and animating. You might try f, though. It's the same engine that runs that jumping game on rooftops that I can't remember the name of.
I meant Adobe Flash. :lol:

It was Adobe Flash Studio last I recall, but I could always be wrong.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:05 pm

Not unless you were maybe using it maybe before 2000. I've never heard that name before.

Maybe Adobe has a bundle of some sort with studio on it.