Guy seeks game.

Anything else
Ragdollmaster

Re: Guy seeks game.

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:23 pm

>you didn't even mention Metal Gear or Metal Gear 2 which can be accessed on PC through an MSX emulator.

Well, I can't really judge/recommend MG or MG2 since I haven't played either one. I understand the translations were a bit choppy but that the gameplay was generally pretty good, which is why a lot of people knew about the PSX Metal Gear Solid.

@Zhukov (on disliking MGS) - Really? Well, to each his own. Just saying that from a purely technical/professional standpoint, the Solid series has gotten a lot of very good scores; for instance, the ultra-critical review magazine Famitsu gave the the third game got a 39/40 and the fourth scored a perfect 40- only 19 games have gotten a 39 before and only 14 have gotten a 40. But enough of that, other peoples' opinions are irrelevant- if you don't like it, you probably never will :P

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:11 pm

Ragdollmaster, considering Nintendogs got a 40/40 in Famitsu, as well as Bayonetta (it was cool, but not that cool), I kinda wrote it off as not being the honor it's supposed to be anymore.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:27 pm

That and they look at games quite differently from the way the US/European/whatever-place-you're-from market looks at them. So yes, Famitsu might give a game excellent marks, but if you bring it over to a foreign market, the game might get horrible or average reviews.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:13 am

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:33 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:Not so with MGS4, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear ... _reception
Hence the:
Grayswandir wrote:might get horrible or average reviews.
...In my post. :P

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:40 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:The new AvP? Oh god no...not another next-gen knock-off of an already tired and overenfranchised series!
:shock: you monster

i like it!!

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:47 am

zoidberg rules wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:The new AvP? Oh god no...not another next-gen knock-off of an already tired and overenfranchised series!
:shock: you monster

i like it!!
Can you still jump from the top of the skyscraper as the alien in multiplayer and land on people and rip their brains out?

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:48 am

i think so didnt play multiplayer, i was at a friends house for the night and they were using the internet for minecraft, but you can still do that offline i think

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:06 am

Ragdollmaster, that point about Famitsu is a pretty naive point to bring to the table, although you did say other people's opinions are irrelevant, yet you still exposed the facts in a sense of "They like it, why don't YOU?"

I find that, in general, large scale user reviews are a good way of getting a feel for the quality of something, which is why I love IMDB so much. The film you're interested in may have gotten 9.0 out of 100 based on 100,000 user reviews, and isn't that a more reliable view than some reviewer for The New York Times? Unless the person in question who is reading the reviews is an intellectual snob like W. B. Yeats was, and think that no one who doesn't have a college degree should be allowed an opinion, but then again nobody likes them anyway.

There is one flaw with the IMDB system in that people can vote with ulterior motives. With The Dark Knight there was one group of people who were pissed off that it was in the Top 250, above Godfather and so on, so they collectively downvoted it. What petty little wretches. I don't think The Dark Knight is up there on my top films of all time, but I thought it was a damn fucking good movie. So fuck them. It would be wrong regardless of which movie they'd picked.

Earlier I presented a game by showing Metacritic user and critical reviews, but this wasn't in a "Why don't you like the game, all of them do?" way, it was merely to garner some interest in the game itself.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:45 am

Whoa. Metro 2033 is fucking awesome. And I mean awesome in the literal sense.

Not perfect by any standard, but it has some of the best atmosphere and immersion since the original Bioshock. No exaggeration.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get right back into it. Those tunnels won't explore themselves.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon May 03, 2010 9:37 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Blorx wrote:There's also The Void (not to be confused with Dark Void), which came out recently, but isn't free. :P
The Void is utter shit. Don't play that broken game.
Just wanted to bring this up again. I bought it, as it was only $20 and got average to good reviews.

All I can say is :o . That game is tough and creepy as hell.

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 am

Just because the dead horse is dead doesn't mean it doesn't have gold in it's stomach - I thought AVP was pretty good.

But then I never played the old AVP games, so they might be the greatest thing ever made ever, causing grown men to collapse into tears of joy and begin vomiting out of disbelief at the awesomeness that is the old games, and when these men heard that there was a new game, their screams of joy were suddenly silenced by the knowledge that this game was great...

But not perfect.

Thousands commited suicide.

But that's beside the point. Void? Never heard of it. *googles*

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Tue May 04, 2010 10:44 am

yeah me neither *googles*

but yeah anyway, you mentioned something about old games, and i just thought id tell you guys, i just started playing my game boy again (shock horror i know) and i just started a new game on pokemanz blue and im loving it!!!!

seriously, if your seeking a good game to keep you occupied for a long time, pick up your game boy, grab a pokemon and play away! :D

EDIT: just read the synopsis of the void on wikipedia, it said something about "beautiful naked 'sisters' " im interested :)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue May 04, 2010 1:21 pm

Some Russian yobs making a game which they apparently wanted to be about doing nothing interesting while trying to be surreal.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Tue May 04, 2010 3:16 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Some Russian yobs making a game which they apparently wanted to be about doing nothing interesting while trying to be surreal.
Ren, stop trolling games you've never played.

While I wouldn't recommend The Void to people, it's not because it's a bad game. It's because it's so incredibly fucking difficult that it'll make you want to rip your hair out...TWICE!

As one reviewer said, "death isn't a possibility...it's an inevitability."

Anyways, the basic gist of the game is that you're dead, but you're not in the afterlife yet. Instead, you're in the void. Right when you start, you're forced to pick up the heart of a lost soul. If you don't, nothing happens. Your soul would die and you'd disappear forever without it anyways, so there's no moving on without it.

But yeah, after you get the heart, you're taught the basics on how to interact with the world, and then you meet the first sister that guides you.

In The Void...color is everything. Color is slowly dissipating and everything but the brothers and their creatures are dying. The sisters are fighting the brothers. However, you're not a hero. In fact, your only goal in The Void is to survive...and it's really fucking hard.

There are several colors in the game, and each one has a different specialty (which can often be found out by what they say when you pick them up), but they can all be used for anything. Color is scarce and, as the game says "Color does not like to be wasted." Color is everything. It's your ammo, it's your shields, and it's your health. Just being in The Void is slowly killing you, so you have to get color and refill your heart occasionally to make sure you stay alive.

Everything else in the game is done through either the right mouse button or certain gestures, similar to making troops in Darwinia. For example, to give color to a tree so that it will grow more color, you have to draw a fish like thing while pointing at it. To attack, you have to draw a slash on the thing you're attacking.

Put bluntly, it's new, it's innovative, and it's hard as hell. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm enjoying it.