Community pen and paper RPG project?

Anything else
Endoperez

Re: Community pen and paper RPG project?

Post by Endoperez » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:56 am

Untadaike wrote:How about this: A steam punk world with Humans, Elves and Dwarves. Half the planet is made of iron, the other half, land. The two governments are in a terrible conflict, with another government that tries to keep peace on the border. Everything is powered by steam. You can combine your weapon arsenal with medieval weapons, the more advanced of which are heated for more damage by steam, and steam-powered slugthrowers. Steam-powered airships. And there's magic too. Punk magic. All that combined with the long and bloody history between races, I think it would be awesome. We could call it Cast Iron or something. Thoughts?
Add in few hints of a more high-tech past, and that's your typical JRPG world. I haven't played that many of them, but that's how most of them work.

It has a good track record, at least, and might not be so common in P&P games.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:07 am

I like the worlds and technology they use in JRPGs...but for the love of God, don't fill it with self-loathing, long-haired, wrist cutting characters, I beg you.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:40 am

Grayswandir wrote:I like the worlds and technology they use in JRPGs...but for the love of God, don't fill it with self-loathing, long-haired, wrist cutting characters, I beg you.
Haven't seen those. But then, I haven't played Final Fantasies. :D

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Yeah, something similar to what Resonance of Fate has could work out great and sounds a lot like what you are describing. However, I wouldn't use that system in a P&P, personally. The combat wouldn't work too well, and there isn't all that much adventuring going on. :lol:

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:09 pm

What about a dystopia steam world where your planet has been invaded/over run by fascist BIG BROTHER-esq regime and they stand as the opposing faction. The planet you live on is large, dangerous, and full of natural resources that the opposing faction want. The invaders introduced the steam technology witch is how they were able to overrun the planet. Though there are a low percentage of humanoids on the planet that are born with magic powers (be it dark, psychic, elemental), with pose the main threat against BIG BROTHER. There are small towns and resistance groups around the planet witch stand as your sides only refuge. So there could be the main danger of the big brother, and also the epic adventuring of a harsh and expansive environment.

The characters can start out in some sort of work camp, and eventually escape starting your main adventure. Being that it would be hard to escape from a high security work camp, your character would be adept in some sort of talent witch could describe your class.

examples;
-Learned how to use steam technology and make an advanced weapon with parts found on camp.
-One of the low percentage of the planets humanoid population that was born gifted with magic.
-An exceptional fighter witch enabled you to fight your way out and escape
-Just being that damn sneaky 8)
-Or even you just got lucky but you carry some sort of valuable support trait.

stuff like that.

It's just a HIGHdea. so i may just be going off on a pretty stupid tangent.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Eh...underthedeep...that sounds...rather close to a lot of previous games, besides the working in a work camp thing.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:35 pm

haha well i wasn't really going for SUPER origional, thus the nature of a dystopia. more along the line of just badass. like i said it was just a HIGHdea.

it's really hard for anything to really be super original nowadays, its all about the content and the little things that make it special ^ ^

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:57 pm

The "Underdeep" also relates to quite a few things in Dungeons & Dragons.
Relating to Resonance of Fate, its pretty much a post-apocalyptic setting with religious undertones with steampunk and cyberpunk themes...for guns supposedly being rare antiques (antiques being rare technology), there sure are a crapload of them.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:38 am

Blorx wrote:Eh...underthedeep...that sounds...rather close to a lot of previous games, besides the working in a work camp thing.
Really? The working camp thing was the only one I could link to a specific game (Gothic 1). I know of steampunk military powers (Grandia 1 again, some Final Fantasies etc), but they were just armies and not governmental mind-control institutions.

In fact, I can't think of any game with a big brother-like governmental enemy. Which game(s) were you thinking of?

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:46 am

Endoperez wrote:
Blorx wrote:Eh...underthedeep...that sounds...rather close to a lot of previous games, besides the working in a work camp thing.
Really? The working camp thing was the only one I could link to a specific game (Gothic 1). I know of steampunk military powers (Grandia 1 again, some Final Fantasies etc), but they were just armies and not governmental mind-control institutions.

In fact, I can't think of any game with a big brother-like governmental enemy. Which game(s) were you thinking of?

off the tip of a hat i can think of Half-Life and Red Faction(sorta).

those are both FPS' though, i would like too see it in a good RPG. It would be really cool if they went balls out and made tie ins to books like 1984 and Brave New World. respect.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:53 am

oh..."underthedeep"...haha, silly me.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Lol, you guys forgot that Bioshock sort of has that whole "Big Brother" thing, and it can be argued that Fallout does, as well. The Vaults sure as hell weren't willing to let you leave.

Also, Gray, I am aware that there's quite a hole in RoF's lore. I just was relating it to that.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:24 pm

Blorx wrote:Lol, you guys forgot that Bioshock sort of has that whole "Big Brother" thing, and it can be argued that Fallout does, as well. The Vaults sure as hell weren't willing to let you leave.

Also, Gray, I am aware that there's quite a hole in RoF's lore. I just was relating it to that.

well i've never really played bioshock, but i hear good things.

fallout wasn't really big brother-esq though. by big brother, i mean a fascist dictatorship or coup. the vaults were not ran by any sort of coup, they were just people shelters that no one wanted to leave in fear of the outside world.

anyways i was just throwing it out there, not trying to start any debates here.

i'm sure there are many games along the same lines that i am forgetting that are worth mention. like i previously stated, its hard to have an idea thats 100% original anymore. there will probably always be another game to relate another game too. jus' sayin'

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:39 pm

underthedeep wrote: fallout wasn't really big brother-esq though. by big brother, i mean a fascist dictatorship or coup. the vaults were not ran by any sort of coup, they were just people shelters that no one wanted to leave in fear of the outside world.
Well, it wasn't...until Bethesda made FO3 and complete screwed up the point of the entire game. You're going to find your dad?! Really?

Seriously, in Fallout, you were sent out to get parts to save your vault. That was a noble cause. Plus, the whole "action game" thing screwed up gameplay in my mind. VATS was cool, but it was obviously an afterthought, as it seemed it was only implemented for those that can't aim, and then exploited by those that can aim.

Anyways, back on topic, whatshername's dad was pretty much turning the vault into a coup and wanted you dead for trying to leave, hence Fallout's inclusion in that right.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:48 pm

Blorx wrote:
underthedeep wrote:
Anyways, back on topic, whatshername's dad was pretty much turning the vault into a coup and wanted you dead for trying to leave, hence Fallout's inclusion in that right.

i gave him a well deserved head splitting with the edge of my bat :P

anyways even more back on topic. lets talk about the P&P RPG