Duke Nukem Forever (And Ever And Ever And Ever)

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Duke Nukem Forever (And Ever And Ever And Ever)

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:26 am

Who would have thought? It's actually finally coming out. It's been revealed that Gearbox Software has been working on it for over a year now. It's like every 20-30 year old man's wet dream coming true.

I know, before anyone says anything, that they've said it was happening before and it didn't. This time, I'm pretty sure it's different. It's been confirmed that 2K Games are publishing it and Gearbox are developing it. I think it's safe to say that they'll probably deliver.

Here's the scoop.

BlackHole

Re: Duke Nukem Forever (And Ever And Ever And Ever)

Post by BlackHole » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:39 am

What will become of all the Duke Nukem Forever = DNF = Did Not Finish jokes? :(

This is either going to be awesome or gruesome. No alternatives.

~ Black
Area 52 -- a location so extraordinarily top secret that Area 51 was invented just to hide it

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:59 am

The saga of Duke Nukem Forever's release, or lack thereof, has been most entertaining. The inherent irony in the title alone was worth a chuckle.

However, despite being a 20-30 year old male, I have absolutely no interest in the game itself.

Call me when Half-Life 2: Episode 3 comes out.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Its gonna be shit ... The shittiest shit you have ever seen ...

A title simply cannot sit in development limbo for ... what? 13 years? all their advances in graphics has probably been redone 3 or 4 times in order to keep up with the rest of the game industry ...

I wonder how many times they have decided "fuck this, lets start from scratch!"

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:00 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:I wonder how many times they have decided "fuck this, lets start from scratch!"
I think the exact number is 4. It's actually 100% George Broussard's fault, too. The story apparently is that, high on the success of Duke Nukem 3D (I hear it's still one of the best selling games of all time), he was determined to make the most advanced, most refined, most perfected game of all time. In fact, even back in the days that it ran on the Quake II engine, Broussard would constantly ask for entire levels to be thrown out and done over from scratch because he wasn't happy with them. It's complete bullshit, but it's true.

Apparently, there would even be days where Broussard would walk into the office and say "hey guys, I saw the coolest thing today, and I think we should use/outdo it". He was absolutely determined to have the most advanced game ever.

I'd give you all the linkage, but I can't remember where I read up on it.

This isn't the one I remember reading, but it's still a good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_Forever

EDIT: Found it. http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/fail_duke_nukem/

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:17 pm

Well, all the time's they started over again are irrelevant considering it's pretty much a completely new development team making the game. I don't see how the fact it's been in development for 13 years matters since Gearbox have only had it a year.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:28 pm

It matters because Gearbox is picking up where they left off after 13 years of work, and the story is fun to read about.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:15 pm

In terms of the quality of the game that will be released, the 12 years that Gearbox weren't involved are pretty irrelevant, I'm only counting the last year.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Right, because Gearbox is starting the game from the ground up expecting completion in a year and a half. :roll:

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:49 pm

I have to play Duke Nukem 3D...

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:20 pm

I liked 3D, but Zhukov's right. HalfLife2 clubbed it like a baby seal...

On the other hand, Yahtzee already reviewed it. :P

Who knows, though, maybe it'll be awesome. An interesting story of big-time game production, anyway.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Blorx wrote:Right, because Gearbox is starting the game from the ground up expecting completion in a year and a half. :roll:
Not sure where you got a year and a half from. It says "sometime in 2011" so it could be towards the last quarter of 2011 which would make the production time over 2 years. Maybe a year and a half considering theyve had the reins for over a year. That's plenty of time to make a game. 2 and a half years is a long time.

And no, obviously not from the ground up, they'd already have the engine, but what two different teams do with the same engine would make two completely different games, child.

kehaar wrote:I liked 3D, but Zhukov's right. HalfLife2 clubbed it like a baby seal...

On the other hand, Yahtzee already reviewed it. :P

Who knows, though, maybe it'll be awesome. An interesting story of big-time game production, anyway.
Oh come now, Half Life and Duke Nukem can hardly be compared, one's a sophisticated FPS that's a lot more to do with preparing yourself for the next fight, Duke Nukem is an extremely unsophisticated shooter about testosterone and shit blowing up and snappy chauvinistic one-liners. Half Life is far too pish-posh to be compared to Duke Nukem. Both games were fantastic in their own right, and on another note Half Life 2 and Duke Nukem 3D is a rather unfair comparison...one's from 1996 and the other is from 2004.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:13 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:
kehaar wrote:I liked 3D, but Zhukov's right. HalfLife2 clubbed it like a baby seal...
Oh come now, Half Life and Duke Nukem can hardly be compared, one's a sophisticated FPS that's a lot more to do with preparing yourself for the next fight, Duke Nukem is an extremely unsophisticated shooter about testosterone and shit blowing up and snappy chauvinistic one-liners. Half Life is far too pish-posh to be compared to Duke Nukem. Both games were fantastic in their own right, and on another note Half Life 2 and Duke Nukem 3D is a rather unfair comparison...one's from 1996 and the other is from 2004.
Whoa. Slight misunderstanding here.

I didn't mention Episode 3 for comparative purposes. I mentioned it because it is another game that seems to be taking forever (hurr hurr).

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:43 pm

Oh yeah, I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about kehaar because he seemed to think comparing the two games was fair. The people who'd like to think of themselves as intellectuals a bit too much are always going to pick Half Life. It has more "artistic integrity".

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:18 pm

HL2 always pissed me off. I can't play it past Nova Prospekt BECAUSE MY GRAPHICS CARD IS BALLS!

Just a bit of randomness to spice up your internet browsing.