Re: Ubisoft

Post by Gifted » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:24 am

What, me?

Oh. I prefer the sideline.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:51 am

Grayswandir wrote:
Count Roland wrote:no see that's my point.
You seem to be under the impression that they had any "loyalty" to the computer and that they lost it.
nope.

Endoperez

Re:

Post by Endoperez » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:45 am

Zhukov wrote:
Endoperez wrote:... and the breaking of a law is a moral wrong in itself.
Wow.

You really believe that?
Nope, I just said it for an argument's sake. Venatir's argument basically boils down to "it's illegal so it's wrong", after all.

I think it's rather interesting that Ragdollmaster decided to argue against the cake, and didn't latch onto this more interesting claim.

Venatir

Re:

Post by Venatir » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:45 am

Zhukov wrote:
Endoperez wrote:... and the breaking of a law is a moral wrong in itself.
Wow.

You really believe that?

Just wow.

Allow me to present the painfully obvious counter-argument. During WWII the people in Germany who protected Jewish friends and neighbours from the Nazis were breaking the law.

Were those people committing a moral wrong?

So what is moral then? What defines good moral? If you believe there is no God, then how come you got moral? The law is actually a pretty good way to tell if your moral is "good" or "bad". So is choosing which law to follow is morally wrong.
But then moral would be fucked up by your example and for another example, the French revolution.
Then good morale would then be defines as a "good" person and helping others.

Enough with this philosophy.

Anyway, a pic related to Ubisoft
Attachments
Jade.jpg

Endoperez

Re: Re:

Post by Endoperez » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:36 am

Venatir wrote:The law is actually a pretty good way to tell if your moral is "good" or "bad". So is choosing which law to follow is morally wrong.
But then moral would be fucked up by your example and for another example, the French revolution.
There's no simple answer, but something like "breaking a law is wrong, except when obeying the law would be wrong" seems like it would usually work. However, that ignores stupid laws, like ones that are simply outdated.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Venatir wrote:So what is moral then? What defines good moral? If you believe there is no God, then how come you got moral? The law is actually a pretty good way to tell if your moral is "good" or "bad". So is choosing which law to follow is morally wrong.
Morale is a completely different thing altogether.

Anyway, I'm not sure what's going on with your funky grammar, but morals are subjective. You cannot say one set of morals is the right set. There is no right set. Good doesn't understand bad and bad doesn't understand good.

Venatir

Post by Venatir » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:31 pm

did you not read the
Enough with this philosophy.
part?

Sorry, I could not find another picture related to ubisoft

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:32 pm

I did, but your words don't decide whether or not I'm going to make a response to something silly that another person says.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:15 am

Perhaps I can diffuse this situation of clashing egos and ultra competitiveness with this announcement ...

The next person to post in this topic is a douchebag.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:49 am

Oh, hi guys, what's going on h-

Oh, come on! Image

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:58 am

Freshbite wrote:Oh, hi guys, what's going on h-

Oh, come on! Image
You are ... a Douchebag!

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:14 am

You go, George!

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:49 am

I know right! ... George Takei is so awesome in that announcement, he makes me jealous that I'm not gay :P ...

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Who wants ice cream? =)

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Venatir wrote:So what is moral then? What defines good moral? If you believe there is no God, then how come you got moral? The law is actually a pretty good way to tell if your moral is "good" or "bad". So is choosing which law to follow is morally wrong. But then moral would be fucked up by your example and for another example, the French revolution. Then good morale would then be defines as a "good" person and helping others.
So first off, morale <> moral.

Second off, morality is a concept that happens to be derived from a Latin phrase literally meaning "proper" or "good" behavior. How hard is that to understand? God and religion aren't inseparable from the concept of morality. Religions are generally infused with moral codes that tell their followers to be cool dudes, but it doesn't mean that people are who atheistic or agnostic are going to be evil dictators with fittingly evil-looking mustaches.

Third off, the law is not at all a pretty good way of telling if your morals are "good" or "bad". The law essentially exists to minimize conflict in society and keep it running. People can break the law for good reasons (murder to prevent mass murder, for instance; think Robin Hood) and people can also follow the law for bad reasons; furthermore, they can commit lewd acts that aren't always technical violations of law. Another thing to remember is that law is created by imperfect, flawed governments, and it is very nearly always biased in some way or another. Following the law basically entails bending to the will of a governing power- and yes, typically, it's for good reasons, but it still doesn't mean that it always will be.

Morals are relative and not absolute. A single action isn't always necessarily moral (or, conversely, immoral) Morality has more to do with your emotional intent than your physical actions. It's a fluid social concept, not an absolute scientific law.

Generally speaking, to have good morals means:
  • Not harming people without justification (self-defense or the defense of others; for the "greater good")
  • Being willing to help people out selflessly
  • Not be-
OK, who am I kidding? This should be a very self-evident concept. It generally entitles not being a douchebag and having a "kind", or, at the very least, tolerant attitude. I don't think it can be boiled down to anything simpler than that.
Ozymandias wrote:Who wants ice cream? =)

MEEEEE