The people who want to ban games are incosiderate

Anything else
Homocidal Ham

The people who want to ban games are incosiderate

Post by Homocidal Ham » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:00 pm

Why would you want to ban games?

Best case senario, you lose millions of jobs, get everyone really mad at you, raise the deficite, and be labeled as a plain jerk.

Why would you want to do that?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:17 pm

Because we like placing the blame on our family problems on other things than our inability to watch what our children buy.

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:14 pm

:?:

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:42 pm

I don't know about "millions" of jobs lost because of banning violent games, or it's affect on the US economy. Since the ban would probably just be on blood n gore content, there would be plenty of fan-made blood mods as happened with medal of honor.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:46 am

I hate when theres no blood in shooters. It just looks stupid.
I always download one of the bloodmods, if availble.

Homocidal Ham

Post by Homocidal Ham » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:35 am

no, im talking about the thing they did in greese, were any electronic game including chess was banned and you can get fined tens of thousands of euros for owning, playing, or even watching video games, even if you a foreiner.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:17 am

If I recall correctly, that was because they wanted to ban online gambling, but they did not want to have to train police to distinguish between online gambling and other video games.

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:43 pm

Resorting to a blanket policy is like hunting for squirrels with a bazooka - it may get the job done, but it's messy and tends to do more damage than good.

Nazgul11
LoTR@localhost

Post by Nazgul11 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:03 pm

Fournine wrote:Resorting to a blanket policy is like hunting for squirrels with a bazooka - it may get the job done, but it's messy and tends to do more damage than good.
I agree. A policy like that is a pretty extreme method of fixing the problem. Hopefully it wasn't bad enough. :P

Deck_52
spelenk iz hurd

Post by Deck_52 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:20 pm

Personally i belive that if you try to ban a game to prevent you children from playing it your a muppet... yes a muppet. If you dont want your children to play this game then ... dont let them. ive seen countless examples of parents allowing their children do to what they want before taking into consideration the cosequences. After the child has played on a game or shot out a swans eye with his friend the parents complain or find some way of pinning the blame on some one else.

Speeking of stupid goings on have you guys heard about santa clause not being able to water ski on to the beach on christmas eve in Cornwall because he breaks the water speed limit?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:48 pm

Personally, I think that when games get banned because they have been thought to have encouraged violence in people, that's pretty retarded, because how many people get encouraged to cause others harm solely from the fact that they've played a particular game? People who crack up like that probably having something wrong with them to begin with, it's no fault of the game. For that reason, they should just let the people who are not mentally deranged enjoy games without fearing that they'll get banned for being too violent.

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:44 pm

Personally, I think that when games get banned because they have been thought to have encouraged violence in people, that's pretty retarded, because how many people get encouraged to cause others harm solely from the fact that they've played a particular game? People who crack up like that probably having something wrong with them to begin with, it's no fault of the game. For that reason, they should just let the people who are not mentally deranged enjoy games without fearing that they'll get banned for being too violent.
there are a couple of problems with that reasoning

some people are easily influenced by things (especially young children), so letting them play bloody games might make them think that they can (legally or physically, depending on the case) do the things they see and therefor try to do them.

what do you mean by mentally deranged? if by that you mean sadistic, then yes, people who go as far as killing someone probably would have done it whether or not they played video games. however, if you simply mean "retarded", then i disagree. many mentally retarded people would not be able to understand the killing and dismembering going on in video games, let alone how to copy them in real life and actually kill someone.

i don't understand the usage of the word "banned" in that last sentence. what will get banned? what will it get banned from? in what way will it get banned?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:38 am

I was not referring to children. I was not referring to age regulations. I was talking about when games get banned from being sold based on certain incidents which may have happened.

I meant sadistic, not handicapped.

Games have been banned in certain countries. An example of this is "Manhunt", which was banned in many top video game stores across England because of an incident that happened which was supposed to have been related to the murderer playing the game.

So no, there weren't really any major flaws in my opinion.

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:25 pm

i wasnt only referring to young children. i said especially.

thanks for clearing that up.

last time you said people were afraid of getting banned. that wasn't a complete thought. now that you have stated an example, it is much easier to understand your reasoning.

i used the word "problems". i never said there were major flaws.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:14 pm

I see what you mean. Fair points.