Can we have Phong shading and Tesselation ?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

Endoperez

Re: Can we have Phong shading and Tesselation ?

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:55 pm

There are many shaders that smooth out angles and add extra detail through maps or various cheats. Overgrowth already uses shaders that do things like that.

Tesselation is a newer tech that's not used much yet. The devs do know about it, because it's one of the things that make Sculptris possible. That's the sculpting software they mentioned recently.

Previous discussion on the matter, with a video.
Here's a presentation about tesselation, titled "Future-Proof Games with
Real-Time Tessellation"
http://developer.amd.com/media/gpu_asse ... _GDC08.pdf

capn.lee

Post by capn.lee » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:38 am

i think you'll get further asking for features that you believe the alpha to be lacking rather than a feature you read about. Would it benefit this game? did you think that the models looked jaggedy and ugly before?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:23 am

We already use normal mapping to shade game-res models as if they were high-res. Tesselation may be a cool feature later on, but I'd like to save working on OpenGL 4.0 features like that until gamers actually have hardware that supports them, and we're sure there's not a better use for those resources.

Seradest

Post by Seradest » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:52 pm

David wrote:We already use normal mapping to shade game-res models as if they were high-res. Tesselation may be a cool feature later on, but I'd like to save working on OpenGL 4.0 features like that until gamers actually have hardware that supports them, and we're sure there's not a better use for those resources.
ah ok ^^