Can we have Jigglebones ?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Seradest

Can we have Jigglebones ?

Post by Seradest » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Can we have Jigglebones for the ears and clothes of the rabbit ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2mU050D-1w

:|

Pablopa99

Re: Can we have Jigglebones ?

Post by Pablopa99 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Isn't that technology owned by Valve?

Seradest

Post by Seradest » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:03 pm

the video is a mod
the technilogie is dx9 based.........its free ,,,, no software patends on physic game efects !

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Valve may have the term 'jigglebones' copyrighted, so this could be called 'selective ragdoll' or 'physical bones'. As Saradest said, the concept of applying physics to parts of a model is general enough that we wouldn't have to worry about patent/copyright infringement, nor would it matter if it's openGL/DirectX since it would be implemented in the physics engine.

But yeah, it would definitely be awesome to have bones that have physics applied to them, even better would be if you can have bones animate a limb, but then apply physics to that limb so it always has a tendency to go to the animated position, but will react to physical input. The 'jigglebones' would also have a stiffness and weight value that affect how much the part moves when a force is applied, and how much gravity affects the part.

For example ears that perk up/turn/etc. via animation, but at the same time flap a little in the wind,
or for a more complex example, the tail of a rat or any other creature, which would be animated by the animator for a movement animation, and then would react physically to the movement of the body as well as gravity and other environmental forces.

This would help prevent issues like 'tail through wall' when a character is backed up against a wall.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Overgrowth's animations will be partially physics-based - procedural and ragdoll features are already in.

Jigglebone is something like a ragdoll-enabled bone in a non-ragdoll skeleton. That's one way to do it. Procedural animation could be used with bones to create rules under which e.g. ears and tails move based on physical forces.

Seradest

Post by Seradest » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:46 pm

Endoperez wrote:Overgrowth's animations will be partially physics-based - procedural and ragdoll features are already in.

Jigglebone is something like a ragdoll-enabled bone in a non-ragdoll skeleton. That's one way to do it. Procedural animation could be used with bones to create rules under which e.g. ears and tails move based on physical forces.
oh i dont know this
thx you ^^

Markuss

Post by Markuss » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:39 pm

who cares about tits and tails!

adding this feature would just complicate things, i want them to get it to the point where i can make something with it, people can put a sense of momentum in the animations and it'll look good.

Pablopa99

Post by Pablopa99 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:52 pm

I like tits (in a woman).

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:02 pm

OFF TOPIC *Smack*

Pablopa99

Post by Pablopa99 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:12 am

Anyway it's just eyecandy, I can't think of any use for gameplay.

Seradest

Post by Seradest » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:45 am

Pablopa99 wrote:Anyway it's just eyecandy, I can't think of any use for gameplay.
atmosphere is a big part of interesting gameplay.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Seradest wrote:atmosphere is a big part of interesting gameplay.
I think the word you're looking for is immersion, not atmosphere. Tiny physically appopriate details would indeed add a lot of immersiveness. However, immersion isn't necessary for good gameplay, and playability is what Wolfire is focusing on ATM.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:51 pm

Pablopa99 wrote:Anyway it's just eyecandy, I can't think of any use for gameplay.
I can think of at least two uses.

It's been discussed before how scent may play a role in the stealth/sneak mechanic of the game and how, for example, a wolf wouldn't be able to smell a rabbit if they're up wind from him (meaning the rabbit's scent is being blown away from the wolf)

One way to tell which way the wind is blowing would be to pay attention to how the rabbit's ears are reacting to the wind. If they're leaning back when facing the wolf it means the wind is blowing towards towards you. You could use this to position yourself for the best line of attack that will give you the greatest element of surprise.

Small nuances like this, and body posture in general that tell you things about the environment as well as your character's state of health will be used as much, if not more, than in lugaru.

Another possible use would be with regards to physical attacks, for example, say we have a character with a whip as a weapon (or even a rat with a tail they use as a whip, probably with a poison tip). 'Jiggly bones' would be a great way to have an accurate looking whip.

The animation would have the character swing the whip in a large arc to get it to fling in the direction of the enemy, and closer to the base the whip would adhere to a base whipping animation, but near the tip it moves more freely based on physical forces.

When the whip makes contact its speed and location could be used to calculate how much damage it did.

I can see this applying as well to Nunchucks, Battle flails, Kusari-fundo, Kusari-gama, Kyoketsu-shogei, Chain whips, Flails, and other rope/chain weapons.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:04 pm

...............Jiggleboobs.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:39 pm

^Smack^

Anyway, yeah, there are several weapons that need this type of bone to operate realistically. I can think of several other ways to use such bones simply for decoration, like tassels or strings on clothes.