Grapple hook

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Nalzock

Grapple hook

Post by Nalzock » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:18 pm

I realize that the game has a way to go till it is complete and there is still a lot on your plates but I just think that the idea of a grapple hook could add another great aspect to this game... just an idea. If someone has already mentioned this than I appologize for bringing it up again.

Tonjevic

Re: Grapple hook

Post by Tonjevic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:58 am

Seems like something a rat would use -- or maybe a ninja rabbit infiltrating a fortress. I don't know if it's really a prospect for everyday combat, but it could be cool nonetheless! It is, after all, a staple of the ninja repertoire.

Mind you, rabbits are already pretty amazing traceurs, so they might not need a grappling hook, even to ascend a sheer surface - as long as there were sufficient handholds interspersed on the surface.

pookaguy

Post by pookaguy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:01 pm

It would probably be used by a rat, but it shouldn't be longer than a few meters.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:10 pm

pookaguy wrote:It would probably be used by a rat, but it shouldn't be longer than a few meters.
If it's not longer than a few meters there's not much of a point since you can already jump several meters into the air. It would need to be pretty long to be of any use at all.

Perhaps though, the different races could have pros and cons. Like, I've never seen a rat jump very far (we've had rat pets), so perhaps jumping well can only be done by rabbits and maybe cats. The rats could instead get a grappling hook if they want to get high up.

pookaguy

Post by pookaguy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Yeah, I put that kind of stuff in a thread I made a while ago.

macravin

Post by macravin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Yeah, I think it's a good idea for the rat. Rats and dogs should have a poor jump, but the rat should be able to scale walls and such with the help of a hook.

Some balancing ideas:
Rats are very fast, good at climbing, poor at jumping, and do a bit less damage than others. They also are quieter (inactive enemies are less likely to notice them)

Dogs do the most damage, have rabbit speed, and have a poor jump

Cats do more damage than the rabbit, but move (slightly) slower and have a lesser jump (much better than dog or rat), they can be quieter than the dog or rabbit if you want... might unbalance things though...

Rabbit... well, duh :wink:

Precastwig

Post by Precastwig » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Cats should wallrun higher.
Ever compared a cat climbing to a rabbit? Yeah its pretty one sided.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:17 pm

and yet no mention of wolves. Rats can jump fairly well in real life.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:40 am

Precastwig wrote:Cats should wallrun higher.
Ever compared a cat climbing to a rabbit? Yeah its pretty one sided.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRk_C9c8xYc#t=0m20s

Videos of dogs, cats and rats climbing and stuff.

Nalzock

Post by Nalzock » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:51 am

The idea I had for a grapple hook was a general tool for moving long distances that can not me atained otherwise.... maybe only being able to hook to a specific type of material or only around tree type items... maybe as a weapon to trip up enemies but thats just my input.

CaptainAhab

Post by CaptainAhab » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:38 pm

A grappling hook would be cool, but it would also open up a big can of worms involving swinging in a rope. I think bullet can do such things, otherwise, rope-climbing and swinging might be done in a manner similar to 'Project Ico'?

JizzyJ

Post by JizzyJ » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:54 pm

If any thing cats should be masters of acrobatics! They are far more agile than the other animals. They should be the best climbers and the most agile opponents. I really like the idea of a grappling hook.

DarkDark

Post by DarkDark » Tue May 24, 2011 12:14 pm

You could aim a grapple hook at someone then release it so it stabs through them then you can reel them in - then POW (unless there already dead)

daneco

Post by daneco » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:57 am

As a stealth assassin, it would be cool to be able to use a grapple hook to infiltrate a fortress. And for fun swinging, and amazing escape!
And as this is not Lugaru 2, I like to imagine it, as an game where you set your own type of carachter and aproach to the enemy. So diferent players with diferent species, would use the grappling hook in various unthinkable fun ways!