OvergrowthJS Alpha #6 - The Speedrun Update!

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
SteelRaven7

Re: OvergrowthJS Alpha #2 - Updated engine

Post by SteelRaven7 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Lhorkan wrote:It works in Opera now! Yay!
Awesomesauce :D:D:D, I'll add it to the first post.

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:13 pm

This is really cool. Looking forward to see how this progresses...

invisible guy

Post by invisible guy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:06 am

Still doesn't work on Safari. :cry: The new Turner looks really awesome though! :D I'll be waiting patiently in my cave for the next update.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 am

invisible guy wrote:Still doesn't work on Safari. :cry: The new Turner looks really awesome though! :D I'll be waiting patiently in my cave for the next update.
:(. Just spoke to the guy behind the engine about this. We'll be trying different builds on my iPhone. If it works there, mac's safari have to support it too, right? :P

EDIT: Allright, just fixed it. Downloaded the latest safari 5 and tried it succesfully. However, the framerate was kindof low, but the next alpha will focus on optimization, so we'll see if that fixes it.

invisible guy

Post by invisible guy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:18 pm

:(. Just spoke to the guy behind the engine about this. We'll be trying different builds on my iPhone. If it works there, mac's safari have to support it too, right? :P

EDIT: Allright, just fixed it. Downloaded the latest safari 5 and tried it succesfully. However, the framerate was kindof low, but the next alpha will focus on optimization, so we'll see if that fixes it.
It works now!(And at an excellent frame-rate by the way) Excellent work, I can't wait to get some sweet 2D overgrowth action gameplay! :D

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:18 pm

invisible guy wrote:It works now!(And at an excellent frame-rate by the way) Excellent work, I can't wait to get some sweet 2D overgrowth action gameplay! :D
Great! I had like 10 fps or something when I tried it in safari for some reason. Oh well, as long as it works for you guys :). If someone has framerate issues, I highly reccomend downloading Google chrome. Oh, and Alpha #3 is out.

I guess I'll have to work on the turner spritesheet now that most of the parkour stuff is done.

Oh... and speedrun support? :3

Glabbit

Re: OvergrowthJS Alpha #3 - New parkour moves!

Post by Glabbit » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Nice one! Works in safari nicely now. Just made it all the way through the cave.
Running quite smoothly indeed.

How's progress coming on those turner sprites?

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:33 pm

Glabbit wrote:Nice one! Works in safari nicely now. Just made it all the way through the cave.
Running quite smoothly indeed.

How's progress coming on those turner sprites?
Thanks. Just completed a 2*4-frame walking animation. Phew!

Only 8 frames to go now until he's got all of rabbot's animations :wink:.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Lookin' good! I can't wait

johndh

Post by johndh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 pm

This is a fun little prototype. :) The only issue I've noticed so far is a pretty minor one -- when changing maps with Turner mode on, you have to toggle it on/off again to get him to come back. Otherwise, you'll be the black bunny (Robbert?).

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:05 pm

johndh wrote:This is a fun little prototype. :) The only issue I've noticed so far is a pretty minor one -- when changing maps with Turner mode on, you have to toggle it on/off again to get him to come back. Otherwise, you'll be the black bunny (Robbert?).
In the latest alpha, you can only play as Turner, allthough rabbot will probably make a return when I'm starting with the fighting system.

EDIT: Which won't be in the next alpha, I don't want to break this daily alpha streak I've got going on (or do I? :roll:). I guess I should focus on just basic a basic enemy character first, perhaps have it follow the player. And speedruns...

ZramuliZ

Re: OvergrowthJS Alpha #4 - Play as turner!

Post by ZramuliZ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:08 am

Great game! The movement feels like I would except Overgrowth to feel in a 2d game, just add the flip.

SteelRaven7

Re: OvergrowthJS Alpha #4 - Play as turner!

Post by SteelRaven7 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:05 pm

ZramuliZ wrote:Great game! The movement feels like I would except Overgrowth to feel in a 2d game, just add the flip.
I'm glad you like it! The flip was just added with the new alpha, have fun exploring the city :D!

naptaker

Re: OvergrowthJS Alpha #5 - Explore the cat city!

Post by naptaker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:39 pm

In my opinion, the smoothness of the animation drops when he goes out of the roll. An added frame before and after should help (maybe just after). It's not that big of a deal, and I'm not sure if adding the frames is possible, but I just wanted to let you know.

SteelRaven7

Re: OvergrowthJS Alpha #6 - The Speedrun Update!

Post by SteelRaven7 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:54 am

naptaker wrote:In my opinion, the smoothness of the animation drops when he goes out of the roll. An added frame before and after should help (maybe just after). It's not that big of a deal, and I'm not sure if adding the frames is possible, but I just wanted to let you know.
I agree, it's smooth if you go from the jumping animation (IE, your velocity is pushing you away from the ground during the jump) to the falling animation (when the gravity pulls you back to the ground). But if you time it to start when the falling animation is playing, or the flip stops playing before your velocity has switched from negative to positive, during the jump animtion, things look ugly. And they always look ugly during the backflip. I'll see what I can do about that.