What do you want to be implemented in the next build?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Anton
pretty cool guy

Re: What do you want to be implemented in the next build?

Post by Anton » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:18 pm

SonarBeserk wrote:
RowanFN wrote:I'd like a tutorial level, or something along that,

just got the game an i'm confused with most the mechanics and button bashing to find out whats what, also in the editor to edit the world seems many things change etc,

its nothing just just something like a list or whatever that explains what keys and buttong etc does what,
im not that experienced in map making but ill see about making one if you want. if i cant lugaru is mostly where you wanna check, however the animal run and reversals are not in yet, or tackle. right clicking during the attack blocks and holding the right mouse button after a block judo flips people.
There already is one fan made tutorial level, that does a pretty good job. It is also included in the Menu Mod if you want to install more custom content as well.

baab32

Post by baab32 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:29 pm

I have a couple of ideas so here they are. Sorry for my english btw.

The bow and arrow everybody talks of is a realy cool idea and would fit perfectly!
An arena mode where growing waves of enemies come at you.
Official deathmatch mode where we can chose to fight with bots or split screen, chose our characters,equipment and handicap.
Manual aiming for throwing weapons maybe? Would then make bows easier to use.
Setting sliders...kind of like goldeneye 64 where you can choose your amount of HP, the damage you deal, enemies HP etc.
Hats and armor?. hats would fly off with a hard hit.Armors and helmets could protect you from bladed weapons and thrown knifes.
Disarming. while countering an attack from someone with a sword we could press Q at a designated time and disarm the oponent...kind of like in lugaru but a little more complicated and timing friendly.
Grabs and throws for unarmed combat. And maybe the grab attack like in lugaru where we could smash our foe on the ground while he was in the airs.
Different combat styles for unarmed combat.

these are a couple of ideas i got trying the alpha yesterday for the first time.
what do you guys think?

Bevilacqua

Post by Bevilacqua » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:05 pm

A simple way to edit keys (in config.txt) so that you can play with arrow keys

main_antagonist

Post by main_antagonist » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:19 pm

ROPE for the following reaons:
1. In combat constrain arms or legs... drag victims around, tie them up in trees either by suspending them or execution hangman style.

2. Fixing a static line between trees and setting traps after aggravating an enemy and making them have to jump or hit the rope at chest/waist/ankle height.

3. Tripwire traps and various other rope traps for example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg_g5tjuySM

4. lowering noose over a ledge around a neck or fast enough down to their ankles and pulling them up etc.

5. Disabling blunt weapons.. if you used a lasso over a spear or blunt hammer or bat and pulled it away from the enemy if the rope didn't land around their head/neck or around their arms an easy disarm could be nice.

6. fetching floating items from the water?

7. heavier game modification could include attaching a rope to a point/tree sliding down the edge of a cliff and entering caves or ledges normally inaccessible. For example grabbing the end of the rope and swinging off the ledge at a 45 degree angle to the left or right etc.

You get the idea rope could be nice.

CJAwesome

Post by CJAwesome » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:26 am

How about for dual wielding you can't use right click to grab onto ledges like the swords so instead left click is to use the left weapon and right click the right weapon

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:37 am

SonarBeserk wrote:if no networking is done then what about that old thread about server basic setup work from like 06? what if they got a server set up to handle chat and let us jump around like they had in that thread?

about 3. hosting companys get servers where ever they see profit. if the game looks promising it will get servers. especially if someone big finds this game. im wondering does anyone have the preorder sale numbers?
There was an old test about networking. However, this:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2006/12/lugaru-2-multiplayer/

isn't it. That's Lugaru 2, which was abandoned and restarted as Overgrowth. The test they did in Overgrowth was in 2009:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/01/multiplayer-news/

That was done when the game didn't have the current combat system, the current characters, weapons, and in general was much simpler - and even then they didn't have a combat system in place. I admit that I was wrong there. I should have said something like, "the networking code isn't sufficient yet". Unless they've been working on it this whole time in secret, the old networking code doesn't work any more without fixing, and once it's fixed they have to add in new features, and THEN we might see something that would require testing. It's not a simple task.

I don't know how hosting companies get profit from hosting games. Do the players have to pay before they can play?

JulianDelscorcho

Post by JulianDelscorcho » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:40 am

I would like to see a dash when wall running almost like a quick step giving you just a little bit extra reach for hard to reach areas, as well as i would like to see objects you can swing from that are sticking out kind of like if a pole was sticking out from a vertical wall that you can use to swing to another platform or perhaps ropes to swing from. this is just my idea

Cheshire_Theyain

Post by Cheshire_Theyain » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Here is a question: Would it be better for them to add in the networking code and stuff now or later?

last

Post by last » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Cheshire_Theyain wrote:Here is a question: Would it be better for them to add in the networking code and stuff now or later?
Way later, because each time David makes new movements, or changes how AI behaves or just adds new game features he needs to add this stuff to net code as well or else net code will be broken, simple as that. Oh and this slows down actual game development.

main_antagonist

Post by main_antagonist » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:27 pm

last wrote:
Cheshire_Theyain wrote:Here is a question: Would it be better for them to add in the networking code and stuff now or later?
Way later, because each time David makes new movements, or changes how AI behaves or just adds new game features he needs to add this stuff to net code as well or else net code will be broken, simple as that. Oh and this slows down actual game development.
More time for rope lol :mrgreen:

baab32

Post by baab32 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:57 pm

I agree ropes would be really awesome! then the next step woule be flails,nunchuks and grappling hooks.

Traps would be realy cool too! like rope traps like in the movies where your leg gets stuck in a rope and you dangle up a tree and have to untie yourself. pitfall traps, spike and explosives would be a good adition too.

But the thing i think could be closer to be done is a option for split screen and duel settings. Like deathmatch setting where you can chose map, options, handicap etc.

And split screen mode where you can play easily everymap in coop. I think it's one of the best thing about the game but it's hard to get split screen maps ( i'm still a noob and only installed SUM for now...and i only found one split screen map that works for now )

Anyway i have faith in wolfire! from what they already did in the game i know we will have our money's worth

Mister Woods

Post by Mister Woods » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:38 am

Well, I'm a big fan of the game so far (obviously, as a pre-orderer) and have played it very happily on a pals far superior computer. However I cant play it on mine, because I have a laptop and my graphics card just isn't up to scratch, the shaders seem to have been devised around the time the wheel was invented.
I want to foolishly ask for fallback shaders, and await immediate rejection.

main_antagonist

Post by main_antagonist » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:38 am

While I was pondering more uses with ropes I was wondering if the developers had any plans for puzzles? For example having to cut or burn rope to release a mechanism that is holding a door locked or suspending a block above an enemy etc.

I haven't done much reading in these forums but I'm curious if there is news regarding this I'm not expecting something like portal here but I think it could be interesting ..
:!: Like maybe a crank that has to be pushed around in a circular motion which would wind up the rope around the crank lifting a door up, opening a hatch, co-op play raising an elevator, to tighten rope slack for a flying fox over spikes? you get the idea I'm really keen for puzzles :D

OH YEAH ... I noticed there is the ability to drag bodies around so I was thinking dragging bodies over counter weight buttons or platforms, not much tweaking there if it's already in the game mechanics ya know! :wink:

Cheshire_Theyain

Post by Cheshire_Theyain » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:59 am

last wrote:

Then people need to stop **tching about it.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Cheshire_Theyain wrote:Then people need to stop **tching about it.
Requesting it gets old, that's true, but the thing is, only a few people know when it's wise to request something soon and not later. Heck, I study game development but didn't know when networking code should be coded in.

The only problem is, this is the only current suggestion thread, and this thread's title was poorly chosen. I might've said it before in this thread, but requesting for random features to be implemented within 7 days or less... well, we're not gonna see multiplayer or dynamic rope physics or whole new races, that's for sure.