Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
last

Re: Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

Post by last » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:03 pm

RGB wrote:wat?

Ok, so I recognise the rolling turret from the art assets. But where did you get the sabers?
It's a saber from Overgrowth, made by Aubrey, the same guy who makes all the art for Overgrowth.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:06 pm

last wrote:
RGB wrote:wat?

Ok, so I recognise the rolling turret from the art assets. But where did you get the sabers?
It's a saber from Overgrowth, made by Aubrey, the same guy who makes all the art for Overgrowth.
Those are steelraven7's custom rapiers. They are here.

The DooD

Post by The DooD » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:16 pm

The only problem I have with the game right now is the difference in turning points when aiming between aiming from side to side and aiming up and down. It's very confusing.

Zeejay

Post by Zeejay » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:23 pm

ConjuredMuffin wrote:I think this thread is getting awfully long and there should be a Receiver subforum
This game seriously needs a subforum! :lol:

Receiver is fantastic! I'm in love! There are too many good things about this game! I want to write them all out, but I'm afraid it'll get lost in this sea of everyone else doing the same thing.

Aside that, though:
I was a little disappointed Nvidia 3D didn't work out-of-the-box, but I wasn't really expecting it to, being a speed project. Most of the time, on small games, 3D shows some depth, but usually has some wonky things going on with static things like HUDs. Using Nvidia 3D with Receiver just looks like a confused mess. :lol:

But I wonder, as a developer, how hard is it to get 3D working? And I wonder if Wolfire have thought about it before.

The moment I realized the concept of Receiver in the demo video, I instantly thought of how awesome it would be to have stereoscopic 3D running with it. I love playing Battlefield 3 with 3D on because the game has bullet physics and the 3D helps me judge the distance so I can easily tell where the bullet is going to drop. It would be incredibly useful to have in something like Receiver! :mrgreen:

Also, hi! :P

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Just uploaded another build!

Changelog:
- In-game options menu when you press escape (volume, mouse invert, mouse sensitivity, lock gun to center, hold/toggle crouch)
- Fixed gun sight picture so all sights are level

Windows download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236655/7DFPS/ ... 5b_win.zip
Mac download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236655/7DFPS/ ... 5b_mac.zip

Faugn

Post by Faugn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:09 pm

This game is so addictive...

What I would really like is an option to disable the music. No matter how great, after a few hours, it get old... Also, it kinda ruins the immersion, and makes it hard to hear the drones.

I wonder if some kind of reward for taking out drones (aside from surviving them :D ) could be added, maybe salvaging for parts? Like bullets on the turrets, the flying ones I don't know.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:11 pm

You can toggle (or fade) the music in the options screen I just added.

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:11 pm

When you alt-tab from the options menu and back, the mouse cursor gets hidden.

Oh, and glass is bulletproof which kinda breaks the immersion...
Last edited by SteelRaven7 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Faugn wrote: What I would really like is an option to disable the music. No matter how great, after a few hours, it get old... Also, it kinda ruins the immersion, and makes it hard to hear the drones.
The music plays an important part in helping you survive. The louder it is, the closer you are to enemies. If there's no music, you're safe. If there is, you should proceed with caution.

Faugn

Post by Faugn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:18 pm

David wrote:You can toggle (or fade) the music in the options screen I just added.
Great, thanks!

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Wow, I can't believe how much of a difference the addition of a simple menu makes to the game. I turned down the music volume to about five percent and suddenly all the frustration is gone from the game. The suspense is still there, but now when I get killed I know it's because of a stupid decision I made rather than because the game didn't give me enough information to be able to choose correctly. Thank you, thank you very, very much. :)

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Faugn wrote:This game is so addictive...

What I would really like is an option to disable the music. No matter how great, after a few hours, it get old... Also, it kinda ruins the immersion, and makes it hard to hear the drones.

I wonder if some kind of reward for taking out drones (aside from surviving them :D ) could be added, maybe salvaging for parts? Like bullets on the turrets, the flying ones I don't know.
You could break off their taser and use it to disable turrets/drones(if you're feeling brave). I think bullets from turrets would be a bit too easy, and unrealistic because of the caliber and stuff. Maybe you could use it to recharge the battery that powers your taser and flashlight.

Davidos

Post by Davidos » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:43 pm

To be quite frank, I sincerely hope that Overgrowth won't be a buggy messhole like this challenge-game is. Surely, it was completed in 7 days, but then unforgiving difficulty, unhittable/killable enemies and game breaking bugs aren't quite going to place it in the top 10 list is it?

SteelRaven7

Post by SteelRaven7 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Davidos wrote:To be quite frank, I sincerely hope that Overgrowth won't be a buggy messhole like this challenge-game is. Surely, it was completed in 7 days, but then unforgiving difficulty, unhittable/killable enemies and game breaking bugs aren't quite going to place it in the top 10 list is it?
Well... Overgrowth wasn't made in 7 days. Making a game like Receiver in that timespan is an incredible accomplishment.
Last edited by SteelRaven7 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brave

Post by Brave » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Davidos wrote:To be quite frank, I sincerely hope that Overgrowth won't be a buggy messhole like this challenge-game is. Surely, it was completed in 7 days, but then unforgiving difficulty, unhittable/killable enemies and game breaking bugs aren't quite going to place it in the top 10 list is it?
Oh come on. That's a pretty unfair comparison. Comparing a game made in a week to a game that's been worked on for years? Most games go through testing periods longer than this game has even been a concept for. It's obvious that Overgrowth and Receiver are not finished, and what they currently have is amazing for the time that they've been in development.