Mac Users (Alpha Testing)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Wapos

Mac Users (Alpha Testing)

Post by Wapos » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:19 pm

I tried clicking through the forums and searching for the word "Mac", but I found this really counterproductive (and didn't find much).

It seems obvious that someone needs to start a separate message thread for Mac users (by all means, anyone can post here on any bugs --I'm not creating this for my own use, but because it is currently difficult to find the small minority of reports from Mac users).

I assume that nobody even wants to hear that a182 does not boot up on my Mac (I take it from the various comments from the programming team that this one was presumed to be especially buggy/hopeless).

Y'all got my thirty bucks, and I've got patience; but please let me know when you've got something that runs under Mac OSX. I do indeed realize how steep the difference is between "Alpha" and "Beta" on this project, but I think I was so jejune as to assume that this would be "up and running" with stability on the order of Voxatron 0.2.0.

I'm testing on:
10.6.8, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

P.S. the screen name wapos = wâpos = ᐋᐧᐳᐢ (and it just means "rabbit", not all that creative on my part).

Hoodz1112

Re: Mac Users (Alpha Testing)

Post by Hoodz1112 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:51 pm

2 GHz Intel Core Duo 10.5.8
Intel....

HOPELESS.
Lugaru custom campaigns will do ;_;

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:54 pm

I don't know, the game runs great for me. 10.6.8 12-core mac pro... but it might be your graphics card. Intel chipsets for the GPU do not do well with this game, since it is still not optimized.

There is an issue with Awesomium and 10.5, and I'm not sure when that will be resolved... The relatively minor update to 10.6 might make your version work better...

bennyp

Post by bennyp » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 pm

launches and runs fine on my macbookpro5,5 (nvidia 6500m). performance issues when foliage is drawn onscreen, many maps crash/freeze/don't load. To fix the problem in the menu, open a finder window, press shift-apple-g and paste in

Code: Select all

/Applications/Overgrowth a182.app/Contents/MacOS/Data/UI/mainmenu/
open menu.html in a text editor and change

.footer {
      position:absolute;
      bottom:0;
to

.footer {
      position:absolute;
      bottom:-20px;

Wapos

Post by Wapos » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:54 pm

There was a typo in the first reply to my original posting: I'm not using 10.5, but 10.6…
Again: 10.6.8, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3
…I do not know if that is considered "hopeless" as was stated in the reply from Hoodz.

Let me tell you something guys…

…I did read all of the fine print before sending in my money for this software (that doesn't quite exist yet)…

…and the website currently refuses to state the system requirements that the game demands…

…so if I just paid $30 for a game that I will never be able to play on my Mac, I've been (de facto) ripped off by Wolfire.

I do understand their reluctance to state overly specific system requirements, as the technical details will change as the game approaches completion (and as the OS itself changes, etc.) but if my Mac is not remotely in the ballpark of hardware that can run the finished software (however many years or months from now the Beta materializes) then I'll be asking for a refund --and I think I won't be the only one.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Wapos wrote:There was a typo in the first reply to my original posting: I'm not using 10.5, but 10.6…
Again: 10.6.8, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3
…I do not know if that is considered "hopeless" as was stated in the reply from Hoodz.

Let me tell you something guys…

…I did read all of the fine print before sending in my money for this software (that doesn't quite exist yet)…

…and the website currently refuses to state the system requirements that the game demands…

…so if I just paid $30 for a game that I will never be able to play on my Mac, I've been (de facto) ripped off by Wolfire.

I do understand their reluctance to state overly specific system requirements, as the technical details will change as the game approaches completion (and as the OS itself changes, etc.) but if my Mac is not remotely in the ballpark of hardware that can run the finished software (however many years or months from now the Beta materializes) then I'll be asking for a refund --and I think I won't be the only one.

Wow... the 10.5 comment was to the second poster, not to you... I saw you had 10.6... I was trying to address both issues at once...

Also, they haven't stated the System requirements because they don't exist yet. They simply won't know what works until the game is done.
That being said, the current hardware limitation I am curious about with your computer is the graphics card, not the processor. Hold the option key while clicking on the apple menu and go to System Profiler, then click on Graphics/DIsplays. Let us know what the chipset model is.

Wolfire has on numerous occasions said they will give a no questions asked refund if you are unhappy with or unable to use your purchase. You can email them at [email protected] and explain your issue (providing your Transaction ID from your payment provider will assure they find your order quickly) and they will take care of you.

mariusmora

Post by mariusmora » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Hey, i've just downloaded my first overgrowth build (182), just purchased!
I'm running on a macbook pro with a 2,66Ghz intel core 2 duo, and although i've tried only the level with the red columns at the moment, it ran pretty well. I have 4GB of RAM and a Nvidia 320M and using OSX 10.6.8

The only thing i could not launch at first was the sumlauncher, which i fixed by opening directly the .jar file inside the application :) Hope this helps!

I'm going to do a lot more "testing" these days, so i'll post something in a while :)

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:38 pm

Wapos, please send me an email at [email protected] and I'd like to give you a refund. We are not in the business of ripping people off. Additionally, if you are up for it, I'd like to get more details on what happens when you run the alpha.

Incidentally, I do personally test every alpha on my personal computer (a Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz i7) and make sure it runs before posting the weekly update.

Wapos

Post by Wapos » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:48 am

To all assembled (and, yes, I'll send Jeff an e-mail off-list):
(1) I did say that I have patience, and,
(2) I did say that I'm aware of the difference between an Alpha and a Beta --and I know that "playable Alpha" is a contradiction in terms along the same lines as "square circle" and "wooden iron".

I do not know if my hardware situation is hopeless --and, currently, it seems that nobody does. That's the process of Alpha testing for you.

I wrote to draw attention to this, because I might end up demanding a refund, and, frankly, I might not be the only one. It is interesting that Wolfire interjected immediately to offer a refund: hypothetically, I may end up asking for that refund.

As I remarked above, the first Alpha that I downloaded was warned to be especially buggy (it was released without the usual proofreading) so I didn't put all that much weight on the fact that it didn't work.

In general, I don't judge any software by its Alpha "format", and I was presuming that I would wait a few months before drawing any conclusions on the operability (or non-operability) of the Mac version.

The other unknown variable in this equation is time: we all know that it could be years before the game reaches Beta (ever checked the timeline for projects like Cortex Command?) and I don't know if I'll be using the same hardware when the project is finished. My own expectation is that I may have the same Mac x-years from now, but augment it with some Google-OS computer that doesn't yet exist.

As I say, it's hard to complain that something doesn't work when every aspect of the equation is so hypothetical.

I will try downloading another Alpha next week, and I will report the error messages to this forum at that time.

At some point, I may just end up asking for a refund (as foreshadowed) and it's good to know that the option exists. However, I wouldn't advise anyone to reject software on the basis of Alpha testing --and I wouldn't do it myself.

spraynardkruger

Post by spraynardkruger » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:51 am

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I'm running 10.5.8. Will I not be able to run this game at all? Because so far I haven't been able to get past the level loading screen.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:54 am

spraynardkruger wrote:Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I'm running 10.5.8. Will I not be able to run this game at all? Because so far I haven't been able to get past the level loading screen.
Currently there is a known issue running the game in 10.5, so yes, you will probably not be able to run the game at the moment.

Char

Post by Char » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:14 pm

It works on Mac for me, I haven't tried 182 because I have bad internet and I hate waiting for the game to download. But right now it runs pretty good on my MacBook. I get tons of lag while fighting but the whole jumping and parkour think is really fun for me.

last

Post by last » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:24 am

Char wrote:It works on Mac for me, I haven't tried 182 because I have bad internet and I hate waiting for the game to download. But right now it runs pretty good on my MacBook. I get tons of lag while fighting but the whole jumping and parkour think is really fun for me.
You can update your game by just downloading changes with SUM launcher
The update is usually around 20 mb to 100 mb, it depends on what/ how many new objects and textures was added.

jjpalenchar

Post by jjpalenchar » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Will the game ever work on 10.5.8 or will we just have to update our OS?

Wapos

Post by Wapos » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:22 pm

The new alpha (No 183) does load and run fine on my Mac (10.6.8, with a graphics card that is listed as acceptable on the corresponding wiki page) and I'm surprised to see that the frame-rate, etc., are very good, despite the fact that it is running in a window (with other programs going at the same time, etc.). I did not assume that I'd be able to continue word-processing with Overgrowth running, but, apparently, I can.

I have not figured out the stuff that everyone else on this forum already knows, such as how to get some semblance of a fight out of it (instead of just running around the landscape, or clicking mutely at things in the editor) …but that's fine.

As I always say, playable Alpha is a contradiction in terms --and I'm really not judging the game by what I can see/do at this stage.