Another Linux poll!

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

What Distro do you run?

Ubuntu
41%
Linux Mint
10%
Debian
5%
LMDE
2%
Fedora
10%
OpenSUSE
No votes
Gentoo
7%
Arch
26%
Slackware
No votes
LFS
No votes

Total votes: 61

Cheshire_Theyain

Another Linux poll!

Post by Cheshire_Theyain » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:24 am

In the last poll I had said that I would make a new poll if I saw over fifty Linux votes. Well, currently we are at 70 votes of 90.

So, what distro do you use and why?

I use LMDE. I use to be an Ubuntu user but wanted to get away from it due how everything was changing and I wanted a rolling release distro. I was going to just use Debian Testing but it lacked USB, Ethernet, and WI-FI drvers for my system. LMDE is based on Debian Testing, but has a bunch of non-free things thrown in. So it worked out nicely.

Aleph

Re: Another Linux poll!

Post by Aleph » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:30 am

I use Xubuntu and Ubuntu

Cheshire_Theyain

Post by Cheshire_Theyain » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm surprised at the amount of Arch users.

olza

Post by olza » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Ubuntu because I like Unity :P

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:05 pm

I use Xubuntu with Awesome. I tend to gravitate towards the simpler desktop environments.

Surak

Post by Surak » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:31 pm

I use Gentoo with dwm + zsh. Why? Because Larry loves it. And it's perfectly configurable (but still super useable), you can't really compare it to any other Linux distro.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9935/larrys.png
(images enhance such threads a lot :D)

Cheshire_Theyain

Post by Cheshire_Theyain » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:11 pm

olza wrote:Ubuntu because I like Unity :P
You LIKE Unity?

Jaz
Location: Earth, Near The Sun, Milky Way, Universe, Time Loop

Post by Jaz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:17 pm

I don't have Linux yet, but with Valve officially finally announcing support for Linux, and the fact that the only games I play commonly these days are Steam games, I'm seriously considering it.

I've spent the past few years researching the best Linux distro to get, as I've always known how much better Linux is than Windows while ignoring the lack of games issue, and I'm pretty certain that Ubuntu is the best distro. Unity looks really cool. *Backs to wall* 8)

Cheshire_Theyain

Post by Cheshire_Theyain » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:55 pm

Jaz wrote:I don't have Linux yet, but with Valve officially finally announcing support for Linux, and the fact that the only games I play commonly these days are Steam games, I'm seriously considering it.

I've spent the past few years researching the best Linux distro to get, as I've always known how much better Linux is than Windows while ignoring the lack of games issue, and I'm pretty certain that Ubuntu is the best distro. Unity looks really cool. *Backs to wall* 8)
Honestly I would go with Linux Mint over Ubuntu. It's just a whole lot less hassle.

human_dictionary
Location: united states of the united kingdom of teletubbyland

Post by human_dictionary » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:24 pm

i have a little laptop given to me for free by a friend, ive had to give it a bit more RAM but whatever

it run the latest ubuntu, but its such an old laptop, i would never consider downloading games which require a dual core etc. even though i dont know its exact specs.

its just really there to be convenient and watch youtube videos with earbuds on.

i chose ubuntu because its awesome along with my link to south africa, where one of the main benefactors is from. i like how ubuntu is made much more simply than windows or OSX, where you can hardly go a day without getting at least 1 error. instead of when it encounters a problem, giving you and endless loading symbol loop before stopping responding and taking years to end the process, linux just tells you what went wrong and gives some tips for fixing it. the ubuntu forums is also very helpful, consisting of what i could only perceive as developers or sentient, coding god-computers that have 99999999999....99999 cores etc.

meklu

Post by meklu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Gentoo with either Fluxbox or KDE, depending on my mood.

ordiclic

Post by ordiclic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Arch Linux with a kdebase (almost only KWin) on my SSD, that travels between my netbook and my desktop computer.

dyrvere

Post by dyrvere » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:14 am

Arch Linux because I like how I can choose NOT to install Pulseaudio And Choose TO install ALSA right off the bat. And all packages I could ever want are easy to come by or build on your own. And also because rolling releases rock.