Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
jim2point0

Re: Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

Post by jim2point0 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:58 pm

I really, really want the flying bots to be balanced a bit. Possibly make them come at you a little slower... or make it so 3 shots will always kill them. At the moment, I get too frustrated with those things... and I'm a fairly accomplished FPS player.

The game needs to present your initial goals to you a bit better as well. If I didn't watch the game mechanics video, I'd be pretty confused at first.

Other than that, it's great and has a lot of potential. I'd like to see the levels worked on. Possibly improve the shading and design of some of the areas. A few of them feel rushed\poorly designed (the tight, dark corridors), and I know that it's because of the 7-day development time. Still, I think it could be a really great game.

Causeless

Post by Causeless » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:15 am

I feel the bots are meant to be hard - you say you are an accomplished FPS player, but in most FPS games the goal is "kill everything". In receiver, no matter how many you kill not much will change. The goal is to collect all the cassettes, it seems, to don't be afraid to sprint past some enemies!

I do think, however, that they shouldn't be a one hit death. They have a taser, maybe they could tase you for a couple of seconds with the screen shaking, and only after a few seconds do you die?

MattMellander

Post by MattMellander » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:43 am

I'm thinking, maybe the Revolver will be a bit more powerful, to help with the tazer bots. Who knows, only time will tell!

a_lemming

Post by a_lemming » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:56 pm

Go vote for Receiver on Steam Greenlight to help it get on steam http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92927535

BotheredMe

Post by BotheredMe » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:25 pm

a_lemming wrote:Go vote for Receiver on Steam Greenlight to help it get on steam http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92927535

ivankio

Post by ivankio » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:11 pm

jim2point0 wrote:I really, really want the flying bots to be balanced a bit. Possibly make them come at you a little slower... or make it so 3 shots will always kill them. At the moment, I get too frustrated with those things... and I'm a fairly accomplished FPS player.
Causeless wrote:I feel the bots are meant to be hard - you say you are an accomplished FPS player, but in most FPS games the goal is "kill everything". In receiver, no matter how many you kill not much will change. The goal is to collect all the cassettes, it seems, to don't be afraid to sprint past some enemies!

I do think, however, that they shouldn't be a one hit death. They have a taser, maybe they could tase you for a couple of seconds with the screen shaking, and only after a few seconds do you die?
I like the one-hit-disable. Seems realistic and we can all agree that even as is, the game is not easy at all.

But I understand that once spotted by a flying drone, I have something like 95% death probability. I guess a slight decrease on the speed would mitigate t, but I'm more puzzled with enemy vulnerability on 2 points:

1 - the flying drone when facing the player has weak points too hard to hit. The taser and the battery are very small and darker (hard to identify) than the obvious invulnerable beige body front and red propeller covers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni8apO-2Bho
I feel that maybe the propeller cover (or body front) could be the weak spot to disable the flying ability of the drone. This way it would be a little bit more feasible to disable the incoming enemy at medium range. It would also be fun to have a falling drone kill you because of inertia in some scenarios.

2 - I feel some inconsistency about the weak spots. Easier to reproduce with towers as in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21lu2tDeo9Q
Same visual spot produces different results. In fact, after a little bit more testing, I found myself disabling flying drones hiting the frontal beige part. The battery itself (which I thought was the top black piece) and the motor I'm still not shure where they are. Anyway, I think that the first point is still true: the flying drone is too little vulnerable when looking at you.

I understand that shooting is not the only mechanic on the game, but for balancing purposes, the tower is much easier to escape than a drone who have spotted you. Or maybe we could hear it at a longer distance.

I mean, I don't want to make receiver a walk in the park, but I feel that it's a bit too much impossible.

squeaksmgee

Post by squeaksmgee » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:49 pm

somone make a zombie mod for this game

MattMellander

Post by MattMellander » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:30 pm

squeaksmgee wrote:somone make a zombie mod for this game

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:23 am

Here is a test of a new build, which includes some new guns and a flashlight.

Mac build: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236655/7DFPS/ ... c6_mac.zip
Windows build: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236655/7DFPS/ ... c6_win.zip

RC6 changelog:
- Added Mini Maglite flashlight
- Added Glock 17 with auto mod
- Added Smith & Wesson Model 10 Victory revolver
- Added option to bring guns closer to eye
- Added a small chance to disable robots with non-vital hits

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:36 am

Hey David, can you focus on optimization? Receiver right now is infamous for it's horrible lag.

TideGear

Post by TideGear » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:03 am

David wrote:Here is a test of a new build, which includes some new guns and a flashlight.

Mac build: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236655/7DFPS/ ... c6_mac.zip
Windows build: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3236655/7DFPS/ ... c6_win.zip

RC6 changelog:
- Added Mini Maglite flashlight
- Added Glock 17 with auto mod
- Added Smith & Wesson Model 10 Victory revolver
- Added option to bring guns closer to eye
- Added a small chance to disable robots with non-vital hits
This is awesome! And look, David, it's your 1911th post!

I made sure to Greenlight Receiver!
Last edited by TideGear on Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

TideGear

Post by TideGear » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:05 am

Timbles wrote:Hey David, can you focus on optimization? Receiver right now is infamous for it's horrible lag.
Hmm, I haven't experienced this, but I'm running a Core i7 64-bit. I'm sorry to hear folks are having problems.

MattMellander

Post by MattMellander » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:39 am

I love RC6!

cobra2020

Post by cobra2020 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:22 pm

First impressions from the new version.
-It's easier! I seem to be getting more ammo, and more kills on drones (perhaps bias on this one)

-The Glock is cool, it's fun to rock 'n roll on the drones... even if that's of questionable effectiveness. It is a little ambiguous from the help system which way the button goes for full auto.

-I didn't get much time with the revolver, it's cool too, but I'm not a fan of revolvers in general. It's cool that rounds get caught when ejecting sometimes, and I'll have to play around with the best way to make use of it's different mechanics.

-You claim it's a MiniMag, but my mag (non led) is way dimmer, also, are you sure it's supposed to be a clicky button and not a spin-head-to-turn-on?. The doughnut hole fits the bill perfectly, though. I like the way it's held, and the way it even reacts to the environment to avoid clipping (you can still clip with it, and using high gun zoom will clip the flashlight into the camera). The absolute limit of the light's beam can be noticeable at times. I like the hot spot effects, pure white up close, and dimmer until the sudden cutoff.

-Light suggestions. I'd like to see the maglight just a bit dimmer, and a new milspec light added that could picked up or given on startup. It would be just a little brighter than the current light but with more throw and no doughnut . If you really want a complicated system, the maglight only needs one battery, and the bigger one needs two. You would need to find batteries to keep the light and tape recorder working. If you were low on batteries, you would want to use the maglight because it needs only one and its less picky about battery level.

-Tape inconsistencies- Now that we have new toys, I noticed that the equipment tapes are outdated. You might not start with the m1911 or with only 2 AA batteries.

Last thing, I'd like the RMB to swap the ADS. So, if you use q to hold up to eye, RMB temporally lowers the gun.

MooseHead

Post by MooseHead » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:54 pm

I have no clue if this is intended or if it's a bug, but if you insert a magazine into an empty gun with the slide racked back and the hammer cocked, and then hit R to rack the slide, it ejects a bullet from the magazine.
It could just be my lack of experience with firearms showing, but last I fired a pistol it didn't matter if I disengaged the slide lock or racked the slide, it'd always chamber the first round of the mag, never expel ( unless of course, there already was a round in the chamber ).
Kinda breaks the immersion for me, since I like cocking the gun rather than just disengaging the slide lock. Otherwise a really great game, especially liked how you had to load your magazines, disengage the safety and cock the gun manually, and also how you handled sprinting.