Co-op or Multiplayer

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Slashair

Co-op or Multiplayer

Post by Slashair » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:52 pm

I have bought Overgrowth (I haven'y played yet because it crashes every time I turn it on) and I have also watched many videos of it. I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask but I garantee this game would
1. Attract more players
2. Be more exciting and fun
3. Get better feedback

If it had a multiplayer. When the update comes out and I play it I'm sure I would get bored after a couple hours of playing the game would get very dull but if I have other friends with the game I could enjoy it mich more. I hope Wolfire produces a multiplayer.

thank you,
Slashair

Endoperez

Re: Co-op or Multiplayer

Post by Endoperez » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:18 pm

Slashair wrote:I have bought Overgrowth (I haven'y played yet because it crashes every time I turn it on) and I have also watched many videos of it. I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask but I garantee this game would
1. Attract more players
2. Be more exciting and fun
3. Get better feedback

If it had a multiplayer. When the update comes out and I play it I'm sure I would get bored after a couple hours of playing the game would get very dull but if I have other friends with the game I could enjoy it mich more. I hope Wolfire produces a multiplayer.

I assume you mean network multiplayer, since it\s already possible to control 2 players at once in splitscreen if you have an XBox or similar controller.

The only problem with multiplayer is implementing it. If it was easy and fast to add good multiplayer that is fun and doesn't frustrate players and is playable even with lag, multiplayer would be more likely. But it isn't. Depending on how you define "easy and fast", it could be said that it "might be" easy enough and fast enough to be implemented to Overgrowth. So, we'll have to wait and see what Wolfire does.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:21 am

Search feature is win. This is a feature that has been hashed out to hell and back and still boiled down to "David will do what David does. Love it or ask for a refund."
Although saying this far ahead of time that the game will leave you bored after a few hours if it has no multiplayer is silly. Skyrim, which has no multiplayer outside of an unfinished mod, has kept a lot of people busy and entertained for a lot of time. And that's saying a lot for a game with crappy, unresponive controls, unengaging combat, laughable stealth, mechanically difficult to use bows, some bad balancing and rather dead character expressions. Oh and the human, and to a degree the elf, face look like crap. Sorry Bethesda :?
But, for role-players, it's awesome!

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:56 am

Korban3 wrote:"David will do as David does. Love it or ask for a refund."
This needs to be set in a nice curly font, framed, and then hung on the Wolfire forum banner.
Slight alteration added for extra old-timeyness

dyp100

Post by dyp100 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:39 am

To be fair, when they add Arena, they SHOULD add multiplayer.

Story mode will of course keep you entertained, but pure gameplay and leveling up would be better with your friends.

Also who doesn't want to be a dog, fight them one on one while your rat friend sneaks up behind them?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:50 am

dyp100 wrote:To be fair, when they add Arena, they SHOULD add multiplayer.

Story mode will of course keep you entertained, but pure gameplay and leveling up would be better with your friends.

Also who doesn't want to be a dog, fight them one on one while your rat friend sneaks up behind them?
Multiplayer would be better, but that doesn't mean it should be added.

A Roll's Royce would be better, that doesn't mean everyone should have one.

So far, they've talked more about co-op and versus multiplayer. Co-op can work well in an arena type of constant fights. It can also work with the campaign. However, versus only really works in the arena, and both the arena and single-player can also work without multiplayer at all.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:56 pm

dyp100 wrote:Story mode will of course keep you entertained, but pure gameplay and leveling up would be better with your friends.
Multiplayer is definitely fun (and already exists locally) but the network part of this is what will make it difficult. The game relies on fast accurate timing and that is something that network multiplayer always lacks...

Also, I wouldn't expect too much leveling up... the game is designed more to be skill based than stats based...

DemonicDaemon

Post by DemonicDaemon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Anton wrote:Also, I wouldn't expect too much leveling up... the game is designed more to be skill based than stats based..
Aesthetic options are always nice, so there could be a way to unlock more, or they could all be available from the start.

Double D

Post by Double D » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:56 am

It would be pretty cool to see some kind of PvP (Player vs Player) combat in a multiplayer environment.

Something like Capture the Flag, with mixed in Parkour (Not sure how to spell that).

Even though CTF is used in many games, It would be a cool feature to see in Overgrowth in the future.

Slashair

Post by Slashair » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:51 pm

I didn't mean to offend David, now that I can play the game with no problems at all I can see how much enjoyable it is. I honestly never get tired until like a couple hours of playing but the next day I get right back on. I was only saying this post because I'm an arrogant asshole who didn't know what I was talking about, thanks.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:07 pm

I'd say that Low Light Combat might just be a training ground for the devs to test out how to properly approach multiplayer features.

No guarantees, of course.

MintPaw

Post by MintPaw » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:23 am

I'm extremely new to the Overgrowth scene, but online multiplayer shouldn't be that hard to implement at all, just use a framework that's sitting around like GGPO, I could probably do it myself with the current build of the game with some resources, I hope we get official word on this, do any of the devs actually visit the forum?

Surak

Post by Surak » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:22 am

MintPaw wrote:I'm extremely new to the Overgrowth scene, but online multiplayer shouldn't be that hard to implement at all, just use a framework that's sitting around like GGPO, I could probably do it myself with the current build of the game with some resources, I hope we get official word on this, do any of the devs actually visit the forum?
Sigh, this has been brought up hundreds of times. I think we all agree that it would be nice to have online pvp, but it is far from being easy. Like Anton said:
Multiplayer is definitely fun (and already exists locally) but the network part of this is what will make it difficult. The game relies on fast accurate timing and that is something that network multiplayer always lacks...
That means even with a small lag pvp is impossible. That was the official statement, I think it was from one of the blog posts.

The devs visit the forum, but mostly they do not join the conversations.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:00 am

Surak wrote:That means even with a small lag pvp is impossible. That was the official statement, I think it was from one of the blog posts.

The devs visit the forum, but mostly they do not join the conversations.
I believe the "lag makes multiplayer impossible" is just fan-speculation. I believe lag is an issue that might stop multiplayer from working well, but I don't remember reading any such comment on the blog.

Any way, MintPaw:
Edit:
I found a much better quote later from that thread:
Ravidrath wrote:"Going to run this by Mike Z, but I'm skeptical.

While my game, Skullgirls, is 2D, we still had to restructure our gameplay code to make it entirely state-driven to accomodate GGPO. As far as I know, all GGPO does is send inputs over the internet, so you need to structure your code so that is enough to keep gameplay synced.

Given this, I see no reason why a 3D game would be any different. It may be harder to convert a 3D game to be state-driven, but what I'm really hearing is that they don't want to rework their engine.

Also... Namco Bandai had their new arcade DBZ game, which uses GGPO. So in effect they've already called bullshit on themselves."
So, OG most likely won't work with that netcode, because the netcode needs a specific structure.

Surak

Post by Surak » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 am

Endoperez wrote:I believe the "lag makes multiplayer impossible" is just fan-speculation. I believe lag is an issue that might stop multiplayer from working well, but I don't remember reading any such comment on the blog.
I am not sure, it may be possible that it was just speculation, but I remember it differently. I haven't found any source though. Oh, and I am not saying that it is impossible, it just makes it harder (or very unfair). Co-op would not have that problem.