What do you want to be implemented in the next build?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Zenzscott

Re: What do you want to be implemented in the next build?

Post by Zenzscott » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:09 pm

I would like to see a higher capacity for AI on the map.
I have 8 gigs of Ram, 1 gig of vram with all modern drivers(Nvidea NVS 5200m), and 3 ghz processing yet when I get the ai higher than 15 it starts to lag quite a bit.

I don't know how this would be done but that performance increase would be appreciated.

Also an online option for pvp with friends could be nice, but I foresee that in the future anyway.

Italo

Post by Italo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:03 pm

Honestly, I think I can expect to see this near the end of alpha development, but
I think different martial arts styles would be interesting. That's really all I really want right now, but without it, it's fine and still a fun game.

NecroBite
Location: A strange little place called Nowhere in Particular.

Post by NecroBite » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:34 am

It was a bunch of pages ago now that people were suggesting fighting moves and such, but I have an idea for one. It's more or less that you dodge down into a crouch, then move forward and up to tackle your enemy. My... history for suggestions isn't that good, but I'll see about making a little doodle to try and give a visual for the idea. Later, though, since I'm writing this from my tablet.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:48 pm

NecroBite wrote:It was a bunch of pages ago now that people were suggesting fighting moves and such, but I have an idea for one. It's more or less that you dodge down into a crouch, then move forward and up to tackle your enemy. My... history for suggestions isn't that good, but I'll see about making a little doodle to try and give a visual for the idea. Later, though, since I'm writing this from my tablet.
It might work, but you'd have to do it from a run, not from a crouch IMO. Lugaru had something similar. You had to be running at an enemy, then hold attack and maybe jump to do a running double-legged kick or something. Some sort of a tackle would be nice.

Lugaru also had an actual tackle, but controls for that were very specific and kinda annoying.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:31 pm

I don't see any real use for wrestling style takedowns since there is no ground fighting in Overgrowth. Takedowns should therefore be restricted to ones that leave the attacker on his feet. Muay Thai takedowns come to mind. The main thing there should be variation. The hip toss does exactly what a throw should do in this game, but variation based on what move you are countering would be nice. Against a punch countering will activate the hip toss.
Against a knee the result could be something like this.
I've seen people throw their opponents of balance in Muay Thai matches by using the same turning throw without following them to the ground.
A way to defend this (countering the counter) would be to block the turn the turn by turning your leg across the opponent's body and extending the leg, and giving him a hook on the way to get him to release the leg. In the game the hook wouldn't actually cause any damage but just be a way to sell the release. Since the knee in the game is a straight knee, the catch wouldn't occur quite as high as in this GIF and the defending character would actually have to step in after the block to create the angle. An alternative would be to have the defending character hook the knee from the front and then slide further back to continue as if it was a front kick (example below).

Against a kick, something like this would be nice (without the punch/elbow).

Here two beautiful examples of these sort of takedowns.
Image Image
Note that walking away like a badass is an essential part of this move when you manage to master it the way Buakaw does. :D
Against roundhouse kicks you usually end up a bit closer, hooking at the knee (it slipped out on the first GIF, but he managed to hold the heel). Against a front kick you usually try to catch the heel from the front, but the principle is the same one: kick out the standing leg.
And, since there needs to be a counter as well, here's the one for the kick counter.

Again, a short punch could justify why the character releases the leg. Here, a straight one while in the air would probably be the most logical choice.
Here's the counter in action. Scroll to 3:39.

Here's the slow motion replay. Note how he actually uses his shin to push away from his opponent, similar to the knee counter defense. This actually causes his opponent to release.

Tackles should, in my opinion, be handled primarily through physics and should be a move for chasing down fleeing opponents or charging someone from a distance. Last's Blood mod has an option to put characters into ragdoll mode when they run into each other with sufficient speed and I think this is going in the right direction. However, it usually results in both characters sustaining similar damage, so there should be a bit more control. I'm thinking about the way tackles seem to be handled in Backbreaker, which seems to be similar to a rugby tackle. The character actively wraps his arms around the opponent and continues driving forward. This results in him falling on the opponent who hits the ground hard and also gets pancaked by the charging character.
By having both characters entering special active ragdoll modes, tackling would still be risky. Charge into a wall and you might hit it head first.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:02 am

Haha, that's so cool! Makes me nostalgic, actually. Martial arts references, *sniff* :)

NecroBite

Post by NecroBite » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:39 am

EPR89 wrote:I'm thinking about the way tackles seem to be handled in Backbreaker, which seems to be similar to a rugby tackle. The character actively wraps his arms around the opponent and continues driving forward. This results in him falling on the opponent who hits the ground hard and also gets pancaked by the charging character.
I meant it more that way. :|
Or perhaps holding onto the other character for a third char to attack them. But that way would have a lot of risks, I think, unless you could immobilize their arms. Or maybe I just want some sort of grappling. I can understand why it might not exactly fit, though.

Diamonddragon41

Post by Diamonddragon41 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Honestly, I just want to see more work done on cats. Sometimes, their hand doesn't close on weapons, and they only currently have that odd facial expression in which their mouth is open. Plus, the model is just somehow... unbalanced or something. I don't know what it is, but I find the current Overgrowth cats somewhat unattractive, even though cats are some of my favorite animals.
As for dismemberment, I'd like it in the game, so long as it could be toggled off.
I'd also like some kind of Assassin's Creed-esque dive(Like, how you dive into the hay piles and such,) that you could perform while falling a very long distance, or something like that. That would be a tiny aesthetic tweak that would make me very happy.
I know I sound so demanding, but the game is really amazing as it is. Keep up the great work, Wolfire Games!

pumpernickel

Post by pumpernickel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:51 pm

And now for something completely different:
how about an AI that doesn't kill itself like a noob? (esp on high places like shards)
There should be a kind of switch so that the AI can be told not to run away to get reinforcements and instead fight to its death.
Could come in handy on shards, closed rooms/areas, or just any story that needs exactly that kind of behaviour.
This should be easy since the arena rabbits already don't do that. Maybe it's even possible right now but undocumented? (didn't find anything though)

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:52 pm

pumpernickel wrote:And now for something completely different:
how about an AI that doesn't kill itself like a noob? (esp on high places like shards)
There should be a kind of switch so that the AI can be told to not run away to get reinforcements and instead fight to their death.
Could come in handy on shards, closed rooms/areas, or just any story that needs exactly that kind of behaviour.
This should be easy since the arena rabbits already don't do that. Maybe it's even possible right now but undocumented? (didn't find anything though)
If you calculate the navigation map, the rabbits will know where the edges of objects are, and they will not jump to their deaths, or run into walls, but actually navigate around the map better. (They will even climb ledges if it is possible.)

pumpernickel

Post by pumpernickel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:20 pm

calculate the navigation map, the rabbits will know where the edges of objects are, and they will not jump to their deaths, or run into walls
Aaah, so that's what it's for. Thank you, that already helps a lot^^

But as far as I understand this can't be used to make a you-shall-not-pass kind of AI that doesn't run away to the next guy as soon as it gets a splinter. Would be great if AI could be made to stay in one territory and not run away at all cost.

Sure, getting reinforcements is a logical thing to do, but
-turning your back to an armed guy could be the very last thing you do
-running for a mile++ to get that reinforcement seems a bit exaggerated and unrealistic
-sometimes it's about giving your buddies time to prepare for an attack - eg blow a horn and try to obstruct the intruder as long as possible, not making him run towards the gates even faster
-perhaps in some cultures/tribes/packs you lose face when you run away from a fight so that's not an option

I think it would be quite easy to implement (if not already done behind the scenes) and add some options to the game. Eg when turner attacks a 2 npc patrol one could run for reinforcements and the other stay and fight until they come back, or even have a 1 npc patrol 'blow a horn' and alert nearby buddies while trying to pin down the attacker.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:25 pm

pumpernickel wrote:
calculate the navigation map, the rabbits will know where the edges of objects are, and they will not jump to their deaths, or run into walls
Aaah, so that's what it's for. Thank you, that already helps a lot^^

But as far as I understand this can't be used to make a you-shall-not-pass kind of AI that doesn't run away to the next guy as soon as it gets a splinter. Would be great if AI could be made to stay in one territory and not run away at all cost.

Sure, getting reinforcements is a logical thing to do, but
-turning your back to an armed guy could be the very last thing you do
-running for a mile++ to get that reinforcement seems a bit exaggerated and unrealistic
-sometimes it's about giving your buddies time to prepare for an attack - eg blow a horn and try to obstruct the intruder as long as possible, not making him run towards the gates even faster
-perhaps in some cultures/tribes/packs you lose face when you run away from a fight so that's not an option

I think it would be quite easy to implement (if not already done behind the scenes) and add some options to the game. Eg when turner attacks a 2 npc patrol one could run for reinforcements and the other stay and fight until they come back, or even have a 1 npc patrol 'blow a horn' and alert nearby buddies while trying to pin down the attacker.
I'm not discounting any of those ideas, and in fact I have heard similar ways to approach this issue, and agree with it in many cases. Since the devs are focusing on moving into beta phase, this seems like the type of interaction they will run across soon™, and will write some way to deal with it.

lewa8612

Post by lewa8612 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:54 pm

I would love to see the story mode started, along with new arenas that aren't flat surfaces. There could be stuff like mazes, multiple arena levels, and such, but have your data sync across all the arenas. There are lots of opportunities with the arenas alone. Speaking of which, I would also like to see difficulty optimizations in the arenas, so you aren't fighting noobs one match, and unfairly impossible ais the next. There is lots of opportunity, and it will probably an insanely awesome game full of content once it is released. Keep at it, devs!

VictorSeven

Post by VictorSeven » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:57 am

I'd like to see more counter animations. The throw seems Judo-based, and that's awesome. Let's mix it up a bit!

Aikido is a great martial art for studying counters, as it is almost completely defensive.

Round swinging strikes- "Shiho-nage" also known as the Four Directions Throw
Vertical falling strikes- "Irimi-nage" also known as the Entering Throw
Straight or thrusting strikes- "Kotegaeshi" also known as the Wrist Turning Throw

In all of these techniques, the rabbit will end up in more or less the same vulnerable position as the Judo hip toss that is currently being used. Look up Howcast's videos on these techniques to see the anatomy of each of them and make it easy to do the animations. This will add a lot of depth and excitement, and "Did you see what I just did to you?! I don't know how I did that, but it was AWESOME!"

Could also add a couple special moves from a few different types of fighting styles. One could have quicker and multiple-hitting or acrobatic kicks, such as Tae Kwon Do. One could have powerful kicks, knees, and elbows, like Muay Thai. One could be a bit more relaxed while targeting vital areas, like Systema. Stuff like this will likely wait to be implemented much later in the Alpha process, I know, but it's a nice thought.

You guys are doing a great job on this game. Keep it up!

NecroBite

Post by NecroBite » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:27 pm

I'd like to see modders be able to package multiple maps together into a mini campaign or something. Basically when you trigger the victory hotspot, it sends you to the next map in the series or to some over-head map to pick one (like Lugaru). For modders this would mean that, even if you have to make several maps for players to go through, they can play through your story.
And perhaps eventually a fade out/in to the next one or some sort of introduction.

These are more just loose ideas than anything else. Be nice to see, though. :)