What do you want to be implemented in the next build?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
erikylab

Re: What do you want to be implemented in the next build?

Post by erikylab » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:46 pm

i would like if overgrowth had a more variety of attack moves instead of just holding the left mouse button like having a kick button and a punch button instead of having one button to do any random kick or punch, just thought it would be more fun to have just one attack button. :)
Also i would've liked if they added the option of having larger weapons like spears and swords to be able to be placed on the characters backs, instead of using the editor to add a model to their backs instead of an actual object that you could pull out in combat right after a parkour area, it makes parkouring and combat much easier put together.

OmgASnail

Post by OmgASnail » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:59 am

Yes! A deeper combat would be great!

A more player determined combat would make split screen more competitive. And the PvE would just get a hell of a lot interesting.
What if you could interact and chose from which side you were going to round-house-kick. And the same for blocking. :wink:

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:49 am

erikylab wrote:i would like if overgrowth had a more variety of attack moves instead of just holding the left mouse button like having a kick button and a punch button instead of having one button to do any random kick or punch, just thought it would be more fun to have just one attack button. :)
Also i would've liked if they added the option of having larger weapons like spears and swords to be able to be placed on the characters backs, instead of using the editor to add a model to their backs instead of an actual object that you could pull out in combat right after a parkour area, it makes parkouring and combat much easier put together.
OmgASnail wrote:Yes! A deeper combat would be great!

A more player determined combat would make split screen more competitive. And the PvE would just get a hell of a lot interesting.
What if you could interact and chose from which side you were going to round-house-kick. And the same for blocking. :wink:
The combat system in context sensitive, so most of these controls already exist, but it sounds like you are not exploiting those techniques. Positioning yourself at different distances will determine what type of attack you use (punching, kicking, etc) and based on your direction of movement, you can control which side of your body you attack with. Other contextual cues come from being stationary or moving; crouching or standing, etc..

EmberRip

Post by EmberRip » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:10 pm

Anton wrote:
erikylab wrote:i would like if overgrowth had a more variety of attack moves instead of just holding the left mouse button like having a kick button and a punch button instead of having one button to do any random kick or punch, just thought it would be more fun to have just one attack button. :)

The combat system in context sensitive, so most of these controls already exist, but it sounds like you are not exploiting those techniques. Positioning yourself at different distances will determine what type of attack you use (punching, kicking, etc) and based on your direction of movement, you can control which side of your body you attack with. Other contextual cues come from being stationary or moving; crouching or standing, etc..

I think it would be more appeasing to some people to have direct control over their attacks. Maybe a manual mode in the settings or something? Left click = jab, Right click = kick something of the sorts(not those exact controls, of course.)

Surak

Post by Surak » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:23 pm

EmberRip wrote:
Anton wrote:

I think it would be more appeasing to some people to have direct control over their attacks. Maybe a manual mode in the settings or something? Left click = jab, Right click = kick something of the sorts(not those exact controls, of course.)
The whole game is build around the existing controls... It is like one of the core features. It is nothing you can just change or make optional, you would have to completly redesign the game. This would not just affect fighting but also climbing.
Last edited by Surak on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:49 pm

EmberRip wrote: I think it would be more appeasing to some people to have direct control over their attacks. Maybe a manual mode in the settings or something? Left click = jab, Right click = kick something of the sorts(not those exact controls, of course.)
But you have full control over your attacks. There is one for close distance moving, close distance stationary, long distance moving and long distance stationary. On spinning attacks the direction you move in also determines which direction the spin goes in. Additionally there is the leg cannon when you are in the air, blocks, dodging and counters after a successful block.

BobSnyder

Post by BobSnyder » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:22 pm

How about we get some legit climbing? Like take the ledge grab mechanic and remove the hotspot thing that requires you to have room to stand if you were to climb onto the ledge.Just make it to where we can grab the edge, but not climb up. This way you can climb up a series of ledges and stuff. Then we can make levels that require actual climbing. It doesn't seem that hard to include, but then again, I'm not a programmer. It just seems like a mechanic that gets overlooked by so many games. Pretty much the only games that have legit climbing systems are assassin's creed, and maybe uncharted and mirrors edge.

Murd

Post by Murd » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:23 am

Surak wrote:
EmberRip wrote:
Anton wrote: The combat system in context sensitive, so most of these controls already exist, but it sounds like you are not exploiting those techniques. Positioning yourself at different distances will determine what type of attack you use (punching, kicking, etc) and based on your direction of movement, you can control which side of your body you attack with. Other contextual cues come from being stationary or moving; crouching or standing, etc..

The whole game is build around the existing controls... It is like one of the core features. It is nothing you can just change or make optional, you would have to completly redesign the game. This would not just affect fighting but also climbing.
i like the combat kit. i don't think it goes as far as redesigning the game, i just don't think anyones come up with a compact simplified method for free attacks

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:48 am

Murd wrote:
i like the combat kit. i don't think it goes as far as redesigning the game, i just don't think anyones come up with a compact simplified method for free attacks
The system absolutely defines the game just as much as Mount & Blade and Dark Souls are defined by theirs. It's not the only important thing, but it affects most things.

Thf_Killer

Post by Thf_Killer » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:14 am

i would like to have a "smell" option for some races, to sniff out items and players, :D

Dammasta
Location: Somewhere under the rainbow, face down in the dirt.

Post by Dammasta » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Thf_Killer wrote:i would like to have a "smell" option for some races, to sniff out items and players, :D
Can you expound on that? Describe how it would work, and would AI use it or just the player?

Ace8280

Post by Ace8280 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:05 pm

BobSnyder wrote:How about we get some legit climbing? Like take the ledge grab mechanic and remove the hotspot thing that requires you to have room to stand if you were to climb onto the ledge.Just make it to where we can grab the edge, but not climb up. This way you can climb up a series of ledges and stuff. Then we can make levels that require actual climbing. It doesn't seem that hard to include, but then again, I'm not a programmer. It just seems like a mechanic that gets overlooked by so many games. Pretty much the only games that have legit climbing systems are assassin's creed, and maybe uncharted and mirrors edge.
I like the idea of having a climbing mechanic. I think it should be a race specific trait though. Maybe one animal (for example rats) could climb to offset their low jump height. The ai could also potentially use this to catch players normally too high up to get to.

Murd

Post by Murd » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:48 am

Endoperez wrote:
Murd wrote:
The system absolutely defines the game just as much as Mount & Blade and Dark Souls are defined by theirs. It's not the only important thing, but it affects most things.
yes, i agree completely. i think people should probably take a run through the lugaru combat tutorial and see how the controls and attacks were and how it's translated into this game.

but as far as how the modding community might approach a change to it, the plotted attacks can be left there, disabled on the player side and new controls for new animations / hit registries for different combat functions could possibly be implemented.

p.s. i don't think any of this is relevant to the next build; my personal feelings are that a future patch should have cloth physics because i think the existing shaders used are a bit wonky looking and those cloth chains could be used for many different things like dangling chains and tree details like spagnum moss(not sure if thats right but the hanging moss) or capes :D. i think it would add another level of dynamic interaction between the player and environment
and i think the climbing feature would be awesome for rats and on some materials for cats (if anyones played natural selection)

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 am

Murd wrote:a future patch should have cloth physics because i think the existing shaders used are a bit wonky looking and those cloth chains could be used for many different things like dangling chains and tree details like spagnum moss(not sure if thats right but the hanging moss) or capes :D. i think it would add another level of dynamic interaction between the player and environment
+1

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:29 pm

Better Enemy AI outside of combat (Better parkour navigation, observational learning, the option to run away, not jumping off of high precipices to retrieve a weapon) and blunt instruments.