A few (damage model related) suggestions

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
valentinbk

Re: A few (damage model related) suggestions

Post by valentinbk » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:49 pm

And seeing what they done so far with Overgrowth... If they go for dismemberment you can be sure it will be no less than friggin awesome.

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:11 am

Here is a something I noticed - when you are fighting with swords there is way too little blood coming when you go for inner cuts (insted of the "long cuts"). I think it should pool under the body and not just leave a couple of drops.

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:49 pm

I was thinking they should add "arteries" to the game - locations that if are cut by knife will bleed massively.

AmorphousGamer

Post by AmorphousGamer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:25 pm

valentinbk wrote:I was thinking they should add "arteries" to the game - locations that if are cut by knife will bleed massively.
When you cut your character's throat it spurts blood for a while, like if you cut an artery. Perhaps they could expand on that system?

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:28 pm

AmorphousGamer wrote:
valentinbk wrote:I was thinking they should add "arteries" to the game - locations that if are cut by knife will bleed massively.
When you cut your character's throat it spurts blood for a while, like if you cut an artery. Perhaps they could expand on that system?
Never noticed that . I did cut throats a couple of times but the effect was the same as in anywhere else.

Exmanko

Post by Exmanko » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:29 am

In my opinion the bleeding amount from wounds is currently pretty good. Not kill-bill style, please.
But blood decals could have more presence when in big sword fights, death bodies, or fatal wounded chars. I wonder what happened with this 3D blood effects that was worked a loong time ago and I thought it was one of the most awesome blood effects I had seen on a game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1IsxDQ5cPg

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:37 am

Exmanko wrote:In my opinion the bleeding amount from wounds is currently pretty good. Not kill-bill style, please.
But blood decals could have more presence when in big sword fights, death bodies, or fatal wounded chars. I wonder what happened with this 3D blood effects that was worked a loong time ago and I thought it was one of the most awesome blood effects I had seen on a game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1IsxDQ5cPg
It might be too computer-intensive to add in, at least for now. Even the current blood effects cause extreme lag for many people. They might be able to add those in if and when they optimize the game to work faster on all sorts of computers.

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:57 am

I`d like to bump this post, especially for more blood on the environment.

Corpsey

Post by Corpsey » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:33 pm

He had some epic environment blood splatters at one point... I wonder where that ever went.

Part of me wishes that David could clone himself.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:18 pm

It think he means that the cut decals should look more like there are actually holes in the body than thin lines of blood. So instead of just a flat red color there wore be a darker red in the middle to suggest an actual physical wound instead of a you drew on them with magic marker.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:25 pm

+10000000000000 to disemberment

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:20 am

That's worthy of a search, on the forums. It's been discussed to hell, back and then back to hell again. At least twice.

It's difficult to implement well, effectively a cosmetic feature with no gameplay implications and would eat up dev time better spent on more important features.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:40 am

Technically having any blood at all is purely cosmetic.

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:59 am

Korban3 wrote: It's difficult to implement well, effectively a cosmetic feature with no gameplay implications and would eat up dev time better spent on more important features.
I disagree, blood is part of the feedback you get on combat, along with the animations and the sound design. Overgrowth already has pretty much the best bleeding effects I have seen in a game and my suggestions are based on expanding what we already have. I`m not expecting 3d wounds and gore, even though that would be totally awesome.

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:53 pm

This is what I would want to see in the endgame, more blood on the attacked, and some blood on the attacker (maybe I`m watching too many horror movies :D).
http://i.imgur.com/S74PoRj.jpg

For anyone wondering I tried increasing how much characters bleed, managed just to set a ridiculous value for blood amount on the throat execution.