Sheathing

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
QuantumSoldier1

Sheathing

Post by QuantumSoldier1 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:58 am

I can assume that there are atleast a few others that would like to be able to sheath heavy weapons, but those people also understand that it wouldn't make sense to be able to put a heavy weapon on your belt, or in your dog sword or cat rapier scabbard. But maybe sheathing it on your back. imagine dog broadswords, or spears, staffs even, on your backs. Maybe just as an extra, they can make special scabbards that only go on your back (straight or curved) for the heavy dog broadsword or spears. Is there anybody else that agrees with me?

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Sheathing

Post by Constance » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:12 pm

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure you actually can't sheathe larger weapons as part of a gameplay balance kind of thing, but if you ever do sheathe them, then I imagine they'd be on your back.

QuantumSoldier1

Post by QuantumSoldier1 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Timbles wrote:Yeah, but I'm pretty sure you actually can't sheathe larger weapons as part of a gameplay balance kind of thing, but if you ever do sheathe them, then I imagine they'd be on your back.
I guess you are right, though maybe to still add this feature and still balance the game, you would need a specific scabbard for the dog broadsword and spear in order to be able sheath it on your back. if you don't have a scabbard on your back, then you are unable to sheath your heavy weapon.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:57 pm

I always like the idea of sheathing on the back... but the truth is it isn't very practical... Weapons are hard to draw from the back, and make mobility difficult. When I practice with my spears/staves at kung fu, I know for sure I wouldn't want it on my back... Maybe as a way to carry it long distances, but certainly never during combat...

QuantumSoldier1

Post by QuantumSoldier1 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:03 pm

Anton wrote:I always like the idea of sheathing on the back... but the truth is it isn't very practical... Weapons are hard to draw from the back, and make mobility difficult. When I practice with my spears/staves at kung fu, I know for sure I wouldn't want it on my back... Maybe as a way to carry it long distances, but certainly never during combat...
Perhaps to balance it, they could reduce jump height, wall running speed/height, pushing yourself onto a ledge with less speed with the scabbard, and even more effectively with the scabbard AND the weapon. then again like you said, "I know for sure I wouldn't want it on my back..." It doesn't seem that the wounding ever stopped turner in fighting or parkour.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:48 am

yeah i think itd be cool with the reduced jump height, so you cant take it into some areas (level design wise) and a longer draw and sheate animation (maybe you even have to stop to do it). sounds quite balanced to me

Surak

Post by Surak » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:31 am

This is a very old discussion, going back years. Too bad that I do not find the link at the moment, some good points were made.

There were some Youtube videos, I think this was one of them:

deldero

Post by deldero » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:48 pm

i dont know what good points where made, but it is possible to draw a sword from the back with a techniche.

here, take a look.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:57 pm

deldero wrote:i dont know what good points where made, but it is possible to draw a sword from the back with a techniche.

here, take a look.

well to be correct this works only if he drags the scabbard down, so it wont work if it was actually mounted on his back. & i guess you dont want to walk around holding your sword behind your back :D . and then even when its drawn you only have one free hand or you drop your scabbard, thats not very smooth. it works with smaller swords which are only fixed at the top of the sheath and can rotate, but not with a full size swords as its mostly a bit longer than your arm.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:57 pm

Thomason1005 wrote:it works with smaller swords which are only fixed at the top of the sheath and can rotate, but not with a full size swords as its mostly a bit longer than your arm.
There could be another trick for big swords, but it'd probably require two hands any way.

However, I think if two-handed weapons could be sheathed at all, it'd be nice if it was intentionally left slow. A big weapon that would be awkard to move with, but impossible to draw if you got into a fight with it tucked away, would be an interesting gameplay mechanic.

Especially if enemies only unsheathed it once they were 1) suspicious and 2) either had an ally nearby to keep watch, or felt like they were not in immediate danger.

QuantumSoldier1

Post by QuantumSoldier1 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:07 pm

Endoperez wrote:
Thomason1005 wrote:it works with smaller swords which are only fixed at the top of the sheath and can rotate, but not with a full size swords as its mostly a bit longer than your arm.
There could be another trick for big swords, but it'd probably require two hands any way.

However, I think if two-handed weapons could be sheathed at all, it'd be nice if it was intentionally left slow. A big weapon that would be awkard to move with, but impossible to draw if you got into a fight with it tucked away, would be an interesting gameplay mechanic.

Especially if enemies only unsheathed it once they were 1) suspicious and 2) either had an ally nearby to keep watch, or felt like they were not in immediate danger.
I'm gonna see if I can mod in the scabbards and the ability to sheath, anybody else that would like to do so, may do so. I don't really want to do it to be fully honest. (Should I put this in the mod request topic?)

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:01 am

QuantumSoldier1 wrote:
Endoperez wrote:

I'm gonna see if I can mod in the scabbards and the ability to sheath, anybody else that would like to do so, may do so. I don't really want to do it to be fully honest. (Should I put this in the mod request topic?)
Why even bother trying it if you don't want to do it? Just put it in the request topic.

QuantumSoldier1

Post by QuantumSoldier1 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:35 pm

Especially if enemies only unsheathed it once they were 1) suspicious and 2) either had an ally nearby to keep watch, or felt like they were not in immediate danger.[/quote]
I'm gonna see if I can mod in the scabbards and the ability to sheath, anybody else that would like to do so, may do so. I don't really want to do it to be fully honest. (Should I put this in the mod request topic?)[/quote]
Why even bother trying it if you don't want to do it? Just put it in the request topic.[/quote]

I put it in the topic like you said, hopefully someone will do it :D

edit: sorry, the quoting glitched a bit

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:30 pm

You could have back sheaths in the sense that there was a Scabbard held by a strap on your back that could easily be remove, like a rifle. The balance could be from the increased amount of time needed, as you would first need to remove the Scabbard, then sheathe the sword.