So seriously, how do I delete the exe?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
DJBoomstick

So seriously, how do I delete the exe?

Post by DJBoomstick » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:23 pm

So the newest update rendered the game unusable, so I was gonna delete it and retry using it a later date. Every file and folder would delete but the executable. This was making me frustrated and I came to the forums in a very pissy manner looking for answers and got shit on by the community here (Oh like you guys havent got pissed at a product before right?)

Here I payed $30 dollars to get sarcastic comments on how to delete overgrowths executable, and am told by the developer that not being able to delete your guys new update is MY problem? yet it won't delete at all. Thanks a lot. Way to treat a customer who could have easily payed $30 for something I can actually use in life, but i wanted to PAY FOR YOUR GAME INSTEAD.

Yes I KNOW its an alpha, i didn't expect he game to be perfect. But you fanboys in your quest to make yourself look cool by insulting a currently dissatisfied customer didnt even help at all, this exe WILL NOT GET OFF MY COMPUTER.

I HAVE RESTARTED

I HAVE CHECKED TASK MANAGER

I HAVE ATTEMPTED TO DELETE IT, GETTING THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE "The action can't be completed because the file is open in System. Close the program and try again"

I have tried deleting the file with SEVERAL programs and IT WONT GO. So forgive me for getting pissed that a file is acting EXACTLY like a virus (yes I know it isnt an actual virus, sheesh)

Does anybody have any real tips, or are you gonna be dicks again?

akazi

Re: So seriously, how do I delete the exe?

Post by akazi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:03 pm

Usually the correct way to uninstall a program on Windows is to go to your control panel/programs/uninstall a program. For some reason overgrowth isn't listed here for me. I've had a bug were the console windows was somehow still opened in the background. Maybe this is what's happening? I don't remember what task it was called sadly.

DJBoomstick

Post by DJBoomstick » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:09 pm

akazi wrote:Usually the correct way to uninstall a program on Windows is to go to your control panel/programs/uninstall a program. For some reason overgrowth isn't listed here for me. I've had a bug were the console windows was somehow still opened in the background. Maybe this is what's happening? I don't remember what task it was called sadly.
It isn't in the add or remove programs either for me. I have tried literally everything. My friend has been giving me suggestions the past hour and nothing works, this is getting ridiculous.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:15 pm

I would actually like to apologise. I did actually write quite a dicky comment on the previous post, it was 4am and I was really tired, but the thread was locked before I went back. :?

I don't really know what the issue is, but what version are you using (steam, other) because steam does have auto delete, whereas I don't believe that non-steam does.
I've never had issues with deletion before

DJBoomstick

Post by DJBoomstick » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:12 pm

halzoid wrote:I would actually like to apologise. I did actually write quite a dicky comment on the previous post, it was 4am and I was really tired, but the thread was locked before I went back. :?

I don't really know what the issue is, but what version are you using (steam, other) because steam does have auto delete, whereas I don't believe that non-steam does.
I've never had issues with deletion before
I bought the game on steam, but I use the non steam version. I have never had this issue before myself, that's why I'm confused. I'm gonna try downloading the game and replacing the exe and then try deleting it. But idk anymore. If not, I have no idea what to do.

This program called "process explorer" supposedly was supposed to be the be all end all, but not even THAT could close the process using the exe.

I used it t with SUMluancher as well, I deleted sunlauncher no problems. (That's how I updated the game actually as well)

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:25 am

If you didn't come pissed and wrote a pissy post things would really have been different. Either way my comment wasn't meant sarcastically. Sometimes i have errors i can only fix when i restart my comp so yea it does wonders an no i'm not apoligizing for that post.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:49 am

I didn't even know that that was possible...

Hmmn, do you have any shortcuts that haven't been deleted, they may be causing issues
I've had shortcuts tell me that exe's can't be deleted because they are present, but not because the exe is open...

DJBoomstick

Post by DJBoomstick » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:44 am

rodeje25 wrote:If you didn't come pissed and wrote a pissy post things would really have been different. Either way my comment wasn't meant sarcastically. Sometimes i have errors i can only fix when i restart my comp so yea it does wonders an no i'm not apoligizing for that post.
Nobody asked you to apologize.

DJBoomstick

Post by DJBoomstick » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:47 am

halzoid wrote:I didn't even know that that was possible...

Hmmn, do you have any shortcuts that haven't been deleted, they may be causing issues
I've had shortcuts tell me that exe's can't be deleted because they are present, but not because the exe is open...
I didnt know that was possible either, i don't have any shortcuts or anything. I literally deleted everything that had to do with the game besides this stubborn ass exe lol

DJBoomstick

Post by DJBoomstick » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:42 pm

Well, the file has mysteriously disappeared from my computer when I started it up. So I guess this whole crisis is over.

MetalMilitia623

Post by MetalMilitia623 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:58 am

If you ever have a file you want to remove and it is being a pain, use the program called unlocker.

It may require a restart but it can usually get rid of any files causing issues like this.

DJBoomstick

Post by DJBoomstick » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:32 pm

MetalMilitia623 wrote:If you ever have a file you want to remove and it is being a pain, use the program called unlocker.

It may require a restart but it can usually get rid of any files causing issues like this.
Thanks for the tip! Next time I ever encounter something like this, I'll check that program out. I don't think I'm trying overgrowth itself until the next update though (not because of this, but a212 didn't even launch on my computer).