Looking for help with arena feedback

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
akazi

Looking for help with arena feedback

Post by akazi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:42 pm

I have been having trouble getting feedback on the arena levels. I want to ask a few people from the Overgrowth community if they would like to give feedback on arena levels. I was wondering if anyone would be interested? As you might have seen from the alpha 212 video, we have three arenas that we want to polish up and make them as fun as possible. Message me if interested. Thanks!

rodeje25

Re: Looking for help with arena feedback

Post by rodeje25 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:31 am

I love how you can stand still on the magna arena and just wait until the eneny attacks you and you throw them off the edge. I also think it's cool that there are 2 places where a fight can start. The first time i fell in the lava i was like NOOOOOOOO but i didn't die wich was a bit dissapointing. It would be cool if the lava was moving and some smoke came off of it. The map with water looked a bit messy to me on first impression. Haven't played much more of it because i wanted to play multiplayer maps with a friend of mine.

akazi

Post by akazi » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:45 pm

rodeje25 wrote:I love how you can stand still on the magna arena and just wait until the eneny attacks you and you throw them off the edge. I also think it's cool that there are 2 places where a fight can start. The first time i fell in the lava i was like NOOOOOOOO but i didn't die wich was a bit dissapointing. It would be cool if the lava was moving and some smoke came off of it. The map with water looked a bit messy to me on first impression. Haven't played much more of it because i wanted to play multiplayer maps with a friend of mine.
What are some of the specific things you liked and didn't like about each? Anything you would change? Also I can PM you updated levels and you can give feedback on those, would be helpful. Graphically things are not supposed to look nice at the moment, gameplay and fun is most important right now.

SleepyMcGee

Post by SleepyMcGee » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:54 pm

I quite enjoy the new arenas. Each offers a different experience that rewords different tactics.

In both the lava and waterfall arenas I enjoy that mastery of the movement system is reworded. With the environment offering many opportunities to use creative movement to secure an advantage. Wall running and jumping can get you to the top of the tunnels on the side of the water much faster than running, and wall jumping can get you back on the catwalks in a flash. Like wise in the lava arena, due to its enclosed nature, with some clever wall jumping one can get to almost any point in the arena with only a few jumps. That being said the current AI limitations(their inability to jump) make this a little comical at times as you can easily run and jump circles around them, and they pretty frequently get stuck on ledges. However I know this is not an issue with the arena disguise so I digress. The cave arena is my favorite aesthetically, and the large open area creates a different kind of fight dynamic when compared to the others.

Now for a few suggestions. Some of these are things you no doubt intend to include in further updates, but I'll put then in anyway just in case. Lava should kill you. In the waterfall arena making the water slow you down would make it a much more strategic experience, and give more meaning to the catwalks beyond just being fun props. Also being able to fall off the waterfall would be pretty cool. I understand why it is currently the way it is though, with the mechanics of multi round battles being what they are. The battle In the waterfall arena where you and a friend with great swords fight 4 knife fighters is too easy. It would be better if you had to fight all 4 yourself, if that turns out to be too hard, maybe give us a one-handed sword. On the flip side, fighting two knife fighters with a knife is extremely difficult. Don't get me wrong I love the two vs one unarmed fights, but due to the nature of the knife fights in OG a two vs one scenario is not that engaging and just feels unfair. A two vs one where the enemies had great swords and you had a one-handed sword however, would be great fun. This one is a bit of a nit pick but in the cave arena the one on one spone points are off center, witch bugs me more than it should.

Those are my thoughts on the current arenas in the game, I hope I was helpful. If I think of anything else I will make another post.

RylanLego

Post by RylanLego » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:11 pm

Those 3 along with the previous 3 were absolutely amazing. My favorite by far has to be the cave arena though. That one was the prettiest, had the coolest environment I'd ever seen. I managed to climb out of the arena and walk out of the arches to see a really cool landscape. The water arena was very cool too! The way the AI can climb up stuff now, and follow the bridge without falling off is great! All it needs is really flowing water that I can kick them into. Magma arena was very very cool. the staircase is great, and it really only needs actual lava. As for the old 3, if I can discuss them,

( including the colorful arena from the arena gamemode when you start a new game )

They were amazing as well. Especially the crevice arena. That was quite a sight! :)
Attachments
Ignore the fps I was recording :P
Ignore the fps I was recording :P
2015-12-01_00037.jpg

akazi

Post by akazi » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys!
SleepyMcGee wrote: Now for a few suggestions. Some of these are things you no doubt intend to include in further updates, but I'll put then in anyway just in case. Lava should kill you. In the waterfall arena making the water slow you down would make it a much more strategic experience, and give more meaning to the catwalks beyond just being fun props. Also being able to fall off the waterfall would be pretty cool.
My plan for the water in waterfall arena is for it to slow down movement and as you said, make the catwalks a useful thing. falling off the waterfall is the idea, and dying instantly from lava is planned. I would also like to have weapons that fall in lava disappear/melt away. For the fight scenes themselves, I think these are temporary, until we have actual fighting story scenes to replace these.

akazi

Post by akazi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:02 am

RylanLego wrote:Those 3 along with the previous 3 were absolutely amazing. My favorite by far has to be the cave arena though. That one was the prettiest, had the coolest environment I'd ever seen. I managed to climb out of the arena and walk out of the arches to see a really cool landscape. The water arena was very cool too! The way the AI can climb up stuff now, and follow the bridge without falling off is great! All it needs is really flowing water that I can kick them into. Magma arena was very very cool. the staircase is great, and it really only needs actual lava. As for the old 3, if I can discuss them,

( including the colorful arena from the arena gamemode when you start a new game )

They were amazing as well. Especially the crevice arena. That was quite a sight! :)
The crevice arena I kind of got caught up on how it looked and didn't focus on how it played. If you play a little bit of it you can see the ai can't platform anywhere very well. I might redo some of it and try to make it more simplistic for the ai.

RylanLego

Post by RylanLego » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:58 pm

Yeah it was more of a visual arena. Can't wait to see what you do with it, and any other ideas you may have~

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:06 pm

I am rather disappointed that it seems impossible to escape the Cave Arena. There seems to be a lot of interesting territory to explore, but there is an invisible barrier that prevents you from climbing out.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:19 pm

Is that rabbit language on the flag/ banner in the crevice arena, or a placeholder?
Can it be translated?

It reminds me a LOT of the language used in Warframe, don't know what it is actually called, but I call it the "Tennobet"

akazi

Post by akazi » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:05 pm

Here is another arena i've been working on improving, would love feedback on this as well.
Image File included
https://www.dropbox.com/s/34v3lsmog497f ... s.zip?dl=0

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:46 pm

Last edited by renamedperson on Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:16 pm

I've noticed that the Cave Arena is practically Stucco Courtyard Arena in a completely different setting. It definitely calls for better textures and interior lighting, but otherwise, it's the same kinda gameplay.
Through gameplay in the arenas, I remember a suggestion someone made a while back (can't remember who), and it was this:
Every time an enemy does a sweep attack, you have to crouch to block it.
That idea just sounded even better through gameplay in the arena; it'd add so much more variety in the gameplay, and would actually feel even more satisfying to successfully block a stream of attacks.
I've also noticed that with tougher opponents (bigger, stronger and more resistant guys), they should take less damage from being knocked around the environment and more from the attacks themselves. It should also probably be a lot like this for all enemies (keeping environment as a supporting factor instead of a deciding one in damage).
I also get an instant .dmp crash every time I load up the waterfall arena and rising water arena so I'll just upload those to [email protected]

I also think being wounded by swords/knives should decrease the power of your punches/kicks. Not too much of course, but just a little less damage as part of being wounded. Would add a bit of tactic to using the knife against an unarmed opponent, other then slicing them up entirely.

Markuss

Post by Markuss » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:35 am

RylanLego wrote:I managed to climb out of the arena and walk out of the arches to see a really cool landscape.
Stop hacking the game... :evil:
Peruraptor wrote:there is an invisible barrier that prevents you from climbing out.
would you rather be free to jump out of the arena?

RylanLego

Post by RylanLego » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:45 am

Markuss wrote:
RylanLego wrote:I managed to climb out of the arena and walk out of the arches to see a really cool landscape.
Stop hacking the game... :evil:

Well sorry.. I guess I was a little curious seeing the trees and stuff outside the arches. Just wanted to take a peek. I actually just used the editor.. :(

Also, maybe the arena could take place inside and outside? Utilizing those bridges?